hey evry1, i have this question. i'm planning to buy a fender stratocaster highway something but i'm not sure if it's going to be good enough for what i'm playing. i mainly play death/thrash/sludge metal and i plug it in a Line 6 III, will i face any problems according to the sound?? let me mention that i don't use any pedals.
he who claims nothing is infallible
yes, lots. Single coils are horrible for metal. You could probably get the tone from a spider, but not with a strat. Buy an ibanez/jackson.
No...Fender are great guitars but single coils arent good with lots of distortion
Go for
Ibanez http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electric-guitars?N=100001+304275+12&Ntk=All&Ntt=Ibanez&Nty=1
(for that price you could get an awesome metal axe)
Jackson http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262+12&Ntk=All&Ntt=Jackson&Nty=1
Nope. Playing metal on a strat will cause your amp to explode, leading to the speaker flying out and decapitating you.

That guy, he's not from Obituary. He's not playing a fender strat.

But on a more serious note, any guitar can play any genre. It all depends on the amp and player. If you can dial in a high gain tone, you can play the style, and you LIKE the tone you get, there you go. Some will say that single coils can't do death metal, and I'd personally agree that I don't care for them in that situation, but you can always get a dual rail or something similar.
Quote by slayer89
Nope. Playing metal on a strat will cause your amp to explode, leading to the speaker flying out and decapitating you.

That guy, he's not from Obituary. He's not playing a fender strat.

man i wanted to reply exactly the same, but it took me too long to log in
Notice he has humbuckers. As long as you have humbuckers you can play metal, no matter how your guitar looks.
Single coils aren't all bad tho, Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden plays them too.
slayer89's post reminds me of "These aren't the droids you're looking for" *waves hand*

Anyways, ever seen Iron Maiden? Those aren't Strats either, its an optical illusion.

Edit:

Oh and of course we can't forget about one of the most well known metal guitars, EVH's Frankenstrat but yea like others said Strats suck for metal
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 20, 2008,
strats with humbuckers exist... also check out yngwie malmsteen, his single coils are made to work fine with lots of distortion
A standard fender strat with singles will not do metal well, it could with humbuckers though, but there are better suited guitars which will probably cost less when you add the fact you've paid for pickups etc.

Also, I don't want to sound like an arse, but the Spider isnt a good amp, a tone between a fender strat and an ibanez something or other will not be half as noticeable as the difference between the two using a better amp.
if you really want a strat get an HSS strat. you can always switch out the other two SS's for a humbucker,

i think cobain did that

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

there are also humbuckers that take the space of a single coil, so you can install them on any kind of guitar
one of the guys in Gorgoroth i think it was use fender strat live sometimes :P
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by DSOTM80
slayer89's post reminds me of "These aren't the droids you're looking for" *waves hand*

Anyways, ever seen Iron Maiden? Those aren't Strats either, its an optical illusion.

Edit:

Oh and of course we can't forget about one of the most well known metal guitars, EVH's Frankenstrat but yea like others said Strats suck for metal

EVH's frankenstrat had a Gibson PAF humbucker in the bridge. The single coil at the neck wasn't even connected.

The cat's in Iron Maiden use an HHH configuration in their strats. The humbuckers they use are single coil sized. They are 2 hot rails and one JB junior

http://www.rockexplorer.com/ElecGuitar/Fender/IronMaiden.html
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
you guys posting picture of strats with anything but the stock pick-ups.

chances are the OP doesn't have his own guitar technician, isn't in a famous band, or wants to spend hundreds to do pick-up swaps on this brand new strat.

Quote by ValoRhoads
EVH's frankenstrat had a Gibson PAF humbucker in the bridge. The single coil at the neck wasn't even connected.

The cat's in Iron Maiden use an HHH configuration in their strats. The humbuckers they use are single coil sized. They are 2 hot rails and one JB junior

Errr... so a Strat with humbuckers is not a Strat? All you pretty much stated was exactly what I said yet you tried to make it look like I was wrong or something lol and please don't try and school me on EVH's guitars, thanks.

Edit:
..and besides, whats the difference in putting a humbucker or a hotrail or a single coil sized humbucker in a Strat or a set of EMG 81/85 in a Les Paul and using it for metal? Nothing its still a Strat and a Les Paul. A Les Paul wasn't designed to be a metal guitar, yet neither was a Strat but the fact that they can be shows how versatile they both are. Try grabbing a Jackson Soloist and play some country on it on stage and you'll look like an ass, but change the pickups on a Strat and it can easily pass for a metal guitar. So I'm not sure what your point is?
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by dpv
you guys posting picture of strats with anything but the stock pick-ups.

chances are the OP doesn't have his own guitar technician, isn't in a famous band, or wants to spend hundreds to do pick-up swaps on this brand new strat.

Your point being ... ?

A good replacement would cost less than a hundred bucks, and isn't hard to install at all. I suck with electronics, and I can replace a pickup with ease.
You can play metal with a strat no problem. You don't have to follow the cookie cutter metal tone of having high output humbuckers to play it.

Infact a good single coil in the neck would be ideal for playing leads over something heavy, you'll get better note definition and clarity.
Quote by DSOTM80

Edit:

You DO realize that strats exist with humbuckers and stacked single coils, right?

Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by ValoRhoads

Adrian Smith has a Strat with Texas Specials in it - last time I checked they were single coils?
Quote by timzee117
if you really want a strat get an HSS strat. you can always switch out the other two SS's for a humbucker,

i think cobain did that

You can't do that.
The humbucker would be like double the normal size
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by mafropetee
You DO realize that strats exist with humbuckers and stacked single coils, right?

Really? No way!!!

Fat Strat. Iron Maiden.

/thread.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
if you watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNQpLFns-CA

it looks like Karl Sanders is playing some sort of strat thing, i think its a Kramer with an Invader in the bridge, i mean... it's Nile...

and i have a strat with a stock single-coil and im playing Death, As I Lay Dying, Behemoth and some other stuff on it, its a little muddy and i should get a humbucker but i mean, it doesnt sound bad, i've always been surprised to how it sounds.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
And I can't believe everyone forgot Yngwie Malmsteen's strat... he is definitely metal. Of course, he uses hum-cancelling single coils.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Hey man, I'm facing the same problem, can't decide between and Ibanez or Fender strat and I play metal as well. I'd recommend that if you are going for a Highway One strat, get the HSS one and fit the neck pick up with a Seymore Duncan lil 59
heres the link http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Little-59er-Pickup?sku=300008

Thats what some of the guys here at UG told me.Really good pick up,hope it helps.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Forget it with single coil pick ups unless they are humbuckers, I should know I'm in the same boat
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
HSS strat for the ****ing win.

Not that there's anything wrong with single coils...
I don't like the Highway 1 strat very much, but the American Standard strat has a very tight and chunky tone through a high-gain amp. A lot of Fenders do sound twangy, but this one was surprisingly thick and great for hard rock/metal.

It's more expensive, though.

If you like the feel of a strat, but can't get the metal tone, get the HSS and replcace the humbucker with a Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Tone Zone. You won't regret it.

Modded strats = the ****.

NOTE:
If you think about it, Strats aren't that different to the suggested alternatives. Like Jacksons and Ibanez, they have alder bodies, bolt-on maple necks (I prefer fender necks to jackson and ibanez. Those are too thin for my liking), tremolos, 25.5 inch scale etc. Besides, today's most popular metal guitars evolved from strats.
The main difference is the pickups.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 21, 2008,
I could never get into to the hybrid humbucker/single coil guitars (h/s/s), I need all one way or the other. I would say it would be cool for leads but for heavy-ass riffage I might be a little shaky. I'm also not into hot-rodding guitars either because it's not the same guitar anymore. For instance, i could put blackouts in a les paul and to me that isn't a les paul anymore it just looks like one. But that's just my opinion.
Quote by Bobbito315
I could never get into to the hybrid humbucker/single coil guitars (h/s/s), I need all one way or the other. I would say it would be cool for leads but for heavy-ass riffage I might be a little shaky. I'm also not into hot-rodding guitars either because it's not the same guitar anymore. For instance, i could put blackouts in a les paul and to me that isn't a les paul anymore it just looks like one. But that's just my opinion.

Does it have to remain the same guitar?

I understand how you feel, though. Although I have nothing against hot-rodding, I also have specific preferences like that about my guitars.
What's wrong with upgrading a guitar? I'm sorry, but a Les Paul is a Les Paul despite any sort of pickups you may put in it. Look at all the different Les Paul models available from Gibson. You think they all have the same pickups? Look at all the greats through the years who used different pickups in the same guitar. Finding a great guitar and changing it up to fit your needs only makes it better. I'd be willing to put money on the assumption that no matter what guitar you get, there is something that you could change about it to make it better for you. I'm not saying go buy s/s/s mim strat and try to make it sound like a Les Paul, but simply UPGRADING a guitar to fit your needs better is a great thing to do.

But to each their own I guess