I might start a punk band with a drummer and guitarist I know. I would be the bass and we would have to find a singer. I was just wondering if we would have a lot of trouble finding gigs because people say that punk is dead. Is that true?
And what's the punk scene like there?
Only you can tell if there's any interest around your area.
punk kind of is dead in the mainstream.....alot of people still like it....depends what you define punk as...the clash, sex pistols? bronx, nofx? or stuff like avril lavigne..lol
Dancing In Your Dust
Who cares about gigs. Do it cause you enjoy playing music that you like. If you're worried about a lack of gigs why don't you just play something that sounds like Fall Out Boy; you'll get heaps of gigs.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Right. Punk is by no means dead - if you know where to find it. In the UK there are many thriving scenes with new bands popping up all over the place - as well as old legends still up there doing the thing they do best... Discharge, GBH, Varukers, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Abrasive Wheels, English Dogs, etc... I could go ON and ON! These are all UK82 bands but there's something out there for all tastes if you look for it. There are a lot of bands on SOS Records - they do the British Invasion tour. Check it out.

What about US bands? The Briefs, Dwarves, Workin Stiffs, Casualties, Blisterhead, The Fallout???? Maybe you're in the wrong area mate...

What sort of influences do you have?

All the best with your project.
Last edited by Luke Puke at Mar 20, 2008,
Start a folk punk band. Then you'll be able particiapate in the most postive music scene going on.

I say this but I have a feeling that the TS is talking about Blink and Green Day
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
If you're talking about stuff like Green Day, that's not dead. Stuff like The Dead Kennedy's and The Ramones is not really mainstream, though.

As for bass playing in a punk band, it's boring. Green Day has some imaginative bass lines, but the rest is just straight 1/8 root notes for 3 minutes...
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Armagedn
If you're talking about stuff like Green Day, that's not dead. Stuff like The Dead Kennedy's and The Ramones is not really mainstream, though.

As for bass playing in a punk band, it's boring. Green Day has some imaginative bass lines, but the rest is just straight 1/8 root notes for 3 minutes...

The Ramones aren't too far out of the mainstream.

The thing about bass playing root notes is stupid. I don't care for Anti-Flag or Rancid, but the bass in those bands can be challenging. The Minutemen, too.
If you're playing Rancid/Anti-flag type stuff you'll do fine. If there's no scene where you live start one man. Keep punk alive!!
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
Yeah, just because there's no punk bands playing in your area at the moment doesn't mean there's not demand.
There's pretty much no other folk/reggae/rock bands around my area, but people still enjoy it. It just means that we get the entire folk/reggae crowd
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by STEALmyDOG
punk kind of is dead in the mainstream.....alot of people still like it....depends what you define punk as...the clash, sex pistols? bronx, nofx? or stuff like avril lavigne..lol

If half of the indy acts that are around now were going back in the 70s, they'd be regarded as punk bands.
The original idea behind punk was to be original and nothing like everyone else, (which is why the punk fashions became so outlandish) so you couldn't actualy nail it down to one particular style, fashion or music wise
Such diverse acts as The Ramones, The Pretenders, The Tubes, Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Patty Smith, Blondie, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, even The Police were all classed as punk acts back in the day.
Towards the end of the 70s, the mohican hair cut, piercings, leather, studs, safety pins, ripped up clothes and fast paced distorted music became the uniform for punk, (ironicaly a movement that never intended to have a uniform) but look at that again. Take away the mohican, the sapety pins and the piercings and replace them with long hair and you have Motorhead.
I remember when Iron Maiden's first album came out and everyone called it a 'Punk/Metal crossover' because it was basicaly punk rock played by guys with long hair
Nowadays, mainstream music and fashions have completely assimilated punk.
If 'I Predict A Riot' by Kaiser Chiefs isn't a punk classic, then I'm a martian. Look at The Hives, almost a modern day version of The Buzzcocks.
Look at Green Day, The Presidents, Blink 182, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, any death metal/thrash metal/hardcore metal band or any kind that you care to mention, they all would have been regarded as 'punk' in the 70s and early 80s.
Even in my local bank, spiky, coloured hairstyles that in the 70s would have been called 'outragous' by older members of society and only seen on members of the Sex Pistols are today worn by counter staff, only today it's called 'chic.'
Punk's not dead, it just changed it's name, cut it's hair and bought a tie. Infact, it's very much alive and kicking and assimilated nicely into modern society.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 21, 2008,
Listen to Slacker. He knows what he's talking about.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Quote by SlackerBabbath
If half of the indy acts that are around now were going back in the 70s, they'd be regarded as punk bands.
The original idea behind punk was to be original and nothing like everyone else, (which is why the punk fashions became so outlandish) so you couldn't actualy nail it down to one particular style, fashion or music wise
Such diverse acts as The Ramones, The Pretenders, The Tubes, Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Patty Smith, Blondie, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, even The Police were all classed as punk acts back in the day.
Towards the end of the 70s, the mohican hair cut, piercings, leather, studs, safety pins, ripped up clothes and fast paced distorted music became the uniform for punk, (ironicaly a movement that never intended to have a uniform) but look at that again. Take away the mohican, the sapety pins and the piercings and replace them with long hair and you have Motorhead.
I remember when Iron Maiden's first album came out and everyone called it a 'Punk/Metal crossover' because it was basicaly punk rock played by guys with long hair
Nowadays, mainstream music and fashions have completely assimilated punk.
If 'I Predict A Riot' by Kaiser Chiefs isn't a punk classic, then I'm a martian. Look at The Hives, almost a modern day version of The Buzzcocks.
Look at Green Day, The Presidents, Blink 182, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, any death metal/thrash metal/hardcore metal band or any kind that you care to mention, they all would have been regarded as 'punk' in the 70s and early 80s.
Even in my local bank, spiky, coloured hairstyles that in the 70s would have been called 'outragous' by older members of society and only seen on members of the Sex Pistols are today worn by counter staff, only today it's called 'chic.'
Punk's not dead, it just changed it's name, cut it's hair and bought a tie. Infact, it's very much alive and kicking and assimilated nicely into modern society.

This thread is derailing, but ah well.

Anyways, what about Black Metal? You have the non-conformity dress sense of corpsepaint and the abrasive, undisciplined music which is usually raw as.
Call me Batman.
Punk is in by no stretch of the imagination dead. Every different type of rock band that is playing today has somehow been influenced by the New York Dolls. The New York Dolls were the founding creators of punk. And if a band wasn't influenced directly, it was influenced by someone who was influenced by the New York Dolls. As dumb as that sounds, it's true. Every little genre of rock has punk mixed into it. Anywhere, from stuff like GN'R and Aerosmith to bands like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance. Thus everything that's considered punk, is punk.
Quote by Sonic Blast
Punk is in by no stretch of the imagination dead. Every different type of rock band that is playing today has somehow been influenced by the New York Dolls. The New York Dolls were the founding creators of punk. And if a band wasn't influenced directly, it was influenced by someone who was influenced by the New York Dolls.

Apart from those that were influenced by MC5 and Iggy and The Stooges who were both playing punk rock long before the New York Dolls were a twinkle in Johnny Thunders eye.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 1, 2008,
Well if we're stripping it down... what about Elvis or Mr Cash?

Back to the point - just get your pals together and start playing. Who cares if punk is dead, alive or suffering from a cold? Who cares what everyone else thinks? A poseur, that's who.

The important thing is to believe in what you're doing. And yourself.
Quote by Armagedn

obviously you dont listen to a lot of modern punk music. bands like green day have some really nice, melodic bass lines.
and bands like rancid, rise against, etc. have some really tough bass lines.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Yeah, bass players in punk bands can really play melodic basslines, especially because the guitars just hold the rhythm and harmony - so you're freeee
Quote by ccmetz2020
I'm talking about real punk like anti-flag and the dead kennedys

oh dear...
Quote by kumamilesbear
obviously you dont listen to a lot of modern punk music. bands like green day have some really nice, melodic bass lines.
and bands like rancid, rise against, etc. have some really tough bass lines.

rise against has tough bass lines? from what i've heard, all of their stuff is very generic and easy. but i may not know what i'm talking about. what songs have these tough bass lines?
Quote by Sonic Blast
rise against has tough bass lines? from what i've heard, all of their stuff is very generic and easy. but i may not know what i'm talking about. what songs have these tough bass lines?

as much as i like rise against their basslines are generally pretty standard stuff
punk isn't dead, just deformed, mutilated, raped and beaten up killed, raped again and finally buried under the word POP to become pop punk. If you mean the ramones, the clash, iggy pop, sex pistols, that kind of stuff, then plz by all means try to save it. if u mean green day, fallout boy etc. to be punk, then yes it is dead.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by FuzzyBear
the ramones & the sex pistols were just the greenday & fallout boys of their day

That's absolutely correct, once these bands became popular, many punks regected them because they had become popular.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
That's absolutely correct, once these bands became popular, many punks regected them because they had become popular.

amen to that sister!