i thikn my strat's frets are getting worn out
i am a noob when it comes to fixing and repairing guitar so i always have a pro fix things for me when things go bad

but i think this re-fretting thing is kinda huge fix
roughly how much do u guys think it'll cost me?
and i mean ROUGHLY

just to give u guys an idea
it cost me 80 to have 2 pickups indtalled

thanks
refretting can cost a hell of alot, sometimes it is actually cheaper to get a new neck,
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
About $200 USD.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by ValoRhoads
refretting can cost a hell of alot, sometimes it is actually cheaper to get a new neck,

But if you REALLY like the neck that's on your guitar, and no replacement neck can provide the same joy (since they don't make them exactly like what's on your guitar) then it's probably worth it.

I mean, the neck is the only thing I really like on my early 80s Squier Bullet, which I am completely refitting with new electronics and other hardware, but it seriously needs a refret too.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
what brings you to the conclusion that you need to replace your frets? do you get alot of fret buzz?
Quote by woodsballplayer
what brings you to the conclusion that you need to replace your frets? do you get alot of fret buzz?

That's definitely the deciding factor. But in my own personal case, I don't know if this is true for OP, the first few frets have become very visibly worn.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but:

The frets on my Ibanez just look worn. They are not round at the top, rather there is a wavy pattern that is wider at the points where the strings normally press.

Would it also cost about $200 to refret it? Would it be hard to do it myself? I really do like the neck, even though it's a bit beat up.
well first of all there is some buzz
and its also visibly worn..... compared to my backup guitar, the frets (especially first, second, and third) are just flat and leveled

the current neck isn't really any special so i wont mind getting a different neck
but then again, i've never fixed or replaced any parts myself so i dont even know if i can successfully replace a neck on my own

if i get a pro to replace the neck and set it up (truss rod, nuts and stuff)
it'll probably cost more than just refretting if not more I THINK.... is that right?

how often do you have to change the frets on average anyway?
(i practice an hour a day and i jam with ma buddies like once a week..............)
try getting a fret dress before actually going through the bother of refretting, unless you are very particular about fret size this would be the easiest option.

on a good guitar you should only have to change the frets like every 10 years at the most, I've played a lot of vintage guitars with the original frets on them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
im sorry, what exactly IS fret dress???
like i said, i'm complete newb when it comes to this kinda stuff

I'm not a size sensitive guy so if it can get the job done id try it
Quote by thelax
well first of all there is some buzz
and its also visibly worn..... compared to my backup guitar, the frets (especially first, second, and third) are just flat and leveled

the current neck isn't really any special so i wont mind getting a different neck
but then again, i've never fixed or replaced any parts myself so i dont even know if i can successfully replace a neck on my own

if i get a pro to replace the neck and set it up (truss rod, nuts and stuff)
it'll probably cost more than just refretting if not more I THINK.... is that right?

how often do you have to change the frets on average anyway?
(i practice an hour a day and i jam with ma buddies like once a week..............)

Well if your frets are just level then youve got plenty more use out of your frets, but if you can actually see where the string rest with a indent in the fret then its time to get them redone. Frets should be done ever 3 to 5 years or so.

A new neck could be anywhere from 100 to 300 hundred bucks(depending on where you get it) so yeah youre right it probably would cost more.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
they file the frets down until they are even and then shape them like they where before, only smaller.

Last.fm
Quote by thelax
im sorry, what exactly IS fret dress???
like i said, i'm complete newb when it comes to this kinda stuff

I'm not a size sensitive guy so if it can get the job done id try it

Fret dressing is the finishing touch on fretting jobs, thats where you radius the frets, shave the edges to a 35 degree angle, polish and all that good stuff.

I'm looking into doing this as a job and I can tell you right now that its not something thats easily done, the proper tools alone cost more than just paying to have it done. If you want it done and done right take to somebody who knows what theyre doing because there is ALOT to know about it.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Quote by redneck516
Fret dressing is the finishing touch on fretting jobs, thats where you radius the frets, shave the edges to a 35 degree angle, polish and all that good stuff.

I'm looking into doing this as a job and I can tell you right now that its not something thats easily done, the proper tools alone cost more than just paying to have it done. If you want it done and done right take to somebody who knows what theyre doing because there is ALOT to know about it.

im aware of my own weakness
if i wanna get any repairing done, i take it to a shop

i know i can't do these things properly, and i really dont have the financial cushion to practice those stuff
Quote by redneck516

Yeah it's a very tricky job, but it can definitely prolong the life of your frets if you get it done the first couple of times you think you need a refret. From my experience it usually costs about $60-$100. I have a set of fret files that I got for like $50 but yeah I'm not brave enough to actually try this, maybe if i somehow get a really cheap guitar.

Last.fm
ok, well
i guess what i need to do is to dress the frets, since that seems to be the cheapest and the most reasonable way to solve my problem

thanks to everyone who posted
The going local rate around here for a refret is between $150 and $200. A fret dress has never cost me more than $50.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by thelax
im aware of my own weakness
if i wanna get any repairing done, i take it to a shop

i know i can't do these things properly, and i really dont have the financial cushion to practice those stuff

I wouldnt call it a weakness, sounds depressing.
How bout lack of specialty skill.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel