I think they are a good practice / bedroom amp. I wouldn't do a big gig with one but for a small jam /practice amp I see no problems. Alot of people say it sounds to 'digital'.. and at first they can. But if you dial in a proper tone it sounds quite good.

I have a 75 watt version. AndI've had alot of compliments about the tones you can dial in or out with it. Just take some time and learn the amp.

Don't take this thread as "line 6 is da best" kind of thing. I know they are not. But I just think they are a decent practice amp.
Quote by J rock
I think they are a good practice / bedroom amp. I wouldn't do a big gig with one but for a small jam /practice amp I see no problems. Alot of people say it sounds to 'digital'.. and at first they can. But if you dial in a proper tone it sounds quite good.

I have a 75 watt version. AndI've had alot of compliments about the tones you can dial in or out with it. Just take some time and learn the amp.

Don't take this thread as "line 6 is da best" kind of thing. I know they are not. But I just think they are a decent practice amp.

There's always a bandwagon to jump on to hate something in everything, and UG is no different.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Because the bigger ones are a waste of money.

They use cheap modelling processors and they don't sound all too great. The only thing remotely usable is the crunch channel.

The effects are turd.

They're harsh and overly fuzzy, especially when loud.

They're overpriced.

They're great practice amps though. But that's it.

Edit: Oh right, SEARCH BAR!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know sum1 who could answer your questions rly good:
It's Mr. Search van Bar
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Because the bigger ones are a waste of money.

They use cheap modelling processors and they don't sound all too great. The only thing remotely usable is the crunch channel.

The effects are turd.

They're harsh and overly fuzzy, especially when loud.

They're overpriced.

They're great practice amps though. But that's it.

Edit: Oh right, SEARCH BAR!

I agree with the bigger ones. I wouldn't go buy a half stack or anything.. But I still think hey are a good amp for jamming and practicing.
Shouldnt this be in the Guitar Gear sub-forum?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
As practice amps, I would personally not mind having one.

But seriously, the half-stacks and higher-wattage combos are just glorified practice amps, and don't offer huge improvements on tone. You really don't need one of those to practice anyway - a 30-watt practice amp (SS) should be more than enough.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
1. typical UG hate - most people probably haven't tried one.

2. much better options in it's price range.

The fact that you use it as just a practice/small gig amp makes me wonder why you need a 75W SS amp for that.
UGers are just annoyed by the people who waste their money on a Spider Halfstack and compensate by bragging about it.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I find that the line 6 spyders are much like the danelectro pedals, they're cheaply made and the people who actually buy it are usually too tone-deaf to recognize the difference between "digital" and "not-horrible sounding"
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
Take my word for it. I know I have owned them. I had a 30W, then I got the half stack. the 150W one. They are cool, yes they make great practice amps, but in reality that is about it. They sound good in a small room for practice, but if you take one and put it in a place i.e. a stage for a gig. They don't get the sound you like. They can't handle the loudness very well. Sure they get loud, but if you turn it up really high it kinda screws the sound up. And my problem with the Spider III's is that you only get a few sounds out of it. They aren't very versatile. And they don't make good amps for covers at all. IMO though. But hey it is purely your choice personally I like Vox valvetrionix amps the best. I have the AD100VTH & V12BK half stack and it rawks bawls!!!!
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by dpv
1. typical UG hate - most people probably haven't tried one.

2. much better options in it's price range.

The fact that you use it as just a practice/small gig amp makes me wonder why you need a 75W SS amp for that.

When jamming with drums and bass I like to be able to hear myself loud and clear. I hate straining to be able to hear myself.
I have the 75 watt also and I can't hardly stand to play it. The tone on it just sounds so cold and brittle.But even if it sounded great I have problems with the controls for the different presets ,the display and the controller should have been bigger plus they don't include a manual with the Amp.
Comparing it my Fender Superchamp XD it isn't even close, the Fender all the way. Even though it is considered a hybrid and uses digital technology it still sounds warmer and more organic than the Spider III.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Quote by J rock

Its good you like it.

Not alot of people do, who cares? I sure dont and I hope you dont. But making this thread kinda blows that thought out of the water because you want to defend it.

If it sounds good to you why should it matter what other people think..

Oh yeah, use the damn search bar...
Its not bad, its really good. the best amp for the $$$. You can get really loud and still hear yourself with a good tone over a bass and drums.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
They're OK, but only OK. If given a choice between a Line 6 and other small SS combos I'd take the Line 6 every time. But if you gig or you're playing with a band they aren't good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
my room mate has one and the distortion sounds like balls on it. i dont like them because everything sounds so fake. thats just my opinion. i have a roland cube 60 and it blows his spider out of the water.
Quote by LastAuramancer
I find that the line 6 spyders are much like the danelectro pedals, they're cheaply made and the people who actually buy it are usually too tone-deaf to recognize the difference between "digital" and "not-horrible sounding"

One shouldn't also apply blanket statements to brands that they don't know much about.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
They are quite good. But there are many better ones, and that's the reason for Line6 hatred.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
There's a pawn shop neaby where I live and they have the 75watt head for practically pocket change (skip a lunch or two and it's paid for). I'm half tempted to pick it up just to see what all the fuss is about.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by J rock

hey do you think you could tell me some "proper tones" for the spider. because im having a hard time getting good tones out of it.

BTW i didn't buy it. my dad bought it for me at chirstmas and the GC salesman tricked him into buying it.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
This Thread Sucks Spiders Suck Buy A Flextone If U Want Line 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guitar Gear: (Best To Crappiest)
1) Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus (Must Have)
2) Line 6 Flextone III XL (Go With The Triple Rectifier Setting)
4)Schecter Gryphon (Coil Tapper)
3)Fender Lite Ash Tele (Sweet Finish)
4Zoom Fire-18 Amp
I have a 100watt, and with a Boss Me-50 it sounds pretty good. If they suck so much, what IS a good metal amp?!
Quote by HunterRiggs10
I have a 100watt, and with a Boss Me-50 it sounds pretty good. If they suck so much, what IS a good metal amp?!

Mesa Boogie
my friend has the 15 watt and i actually would prefer my 15 watt crate over it anyday, that being said there alright amps but not worth it after the 15 or 30 watt.
Just got one for my Li'l Bro one.

It's a overly expensive amp for it's lack in tone.
it's great for beginners.
and Guitar Center can easily rip you off on one.

Line 6's only good amp is the Vetta 2.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Last edited by COBHC_Slayer at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by J rock
But I just think they are a decent practice amp.

Then you'd be correct.

The main problem is that the Spider III (along with the MG100HDFX) is one of the more popular options for those who are looking for a cheap half stack, which is a shame. The harsh response to these threads kind of trickles into other Spider threads.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.