For design & tech class I've been given a piece of wood, about 10cm by 60cm and some pieces of plastic. Im supposed to build anything with it, and Ill be graded. So I thought I'd build a lap steel or something.

Nothing serious. Think a plank of wood with tuners and a piece of metal at the end with electronics sticking out. So try not to flame.

What I wanna ask is how long must the scaled length be? Anything specific? I thought I make the scale about 40-50 then I'd just put the strings on a piece of metal for the bridge and I'll use these acoustic tuners I found at home.

And also, the scale length is the nut to the end of the bridge? On the nut the where the strings saddle?

Thanks guys.

THREAD REVIVAL:
Sorry for not posting, I get two days a week in the school shop, about an hour or two each time.
I drew some plans.

The first week I only glued the body together. Turns out the wood they gave us was in pieces so I had to glue. I hope it holds.

The start of second week (this week) I drilled and sawed the pickup cavity.

I'll drill the holes for the tuner pegs tmr and solder everything. Then I'll mount the electronics on a piece of plastic and screw it over the cavity. For extra marks I'll have to sand the thing down and laquer it.
All the work was done with a drill and a small saw.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Last edited by shotbythepope at Apr 8, 2008,
Thanks Eldamri! That's the kinda site I've been lookin for.
I'll be sure to post pics, but I only can start getting it down next week, when Im in the school shop.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
I got some work done. Pics in the original post.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights