I may be purchasing a guitar half-stack amp in the future, and seeing as how I don't know too much about half-stacks/stacks, I'm just curious as to what the real differences are between these two styles of guitar cabs.

TIA
Cam
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
There really isn't much. Slant cabs have the top two speakers angled up a bit, so they project a bit more than straight cabs.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
The top half of a slant cab is slanted back some so that the sound projects upwards slightly. This is usually ideal for half staks, because the upwards projection allows you to hear yourself better. Straight front cabs, however, are basically box shaped, and project the sound to the front more, which is ideal for full stacks when you wanna knock midgets over with your guitar playing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
The angled cabs project sound slightly up as well as straight ahead, thus filling out a room more than a straight cab. At the same time, there's less room in an angled cab thus they generally lack a bit of the thump that their straight counterparts can provide. Either way you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference most of the time.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Hmm, so basically.........

A Slant cab will/would be better for sound projection, and a Straight cab may be better if youre wanting a thicker sound?

Quote by Metalcoresoul
A Slant cab will/would be better for sound projection, and a Straight cab may be better if youre wanting a thicker sound?

Basically. However the superior projection of the slanted cab is far more noticeable than the slightly thicker sound of a straight cab.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Basically. However the superior projection of the slanted cab is far more noticeable than the slightly thicker sound of a straight cab.

Which would explain why you don't see many people play through Straight cabs .

I used to always angle my Combo at 45 degrees to get a better sound. I guess this is why they built slanted cabs because they stole my awesome idea.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
the only thing u can put on top of a slanted cab is a head, dont try and put another cab on top of a slanted cab, it WILL end in tears, sounds obvious, but theres always some retard out there.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by Chex
I used to always angle my Combo at 45 degrees to get a better sound. I guess this is why they built slanted cabs because they stole my awesome idea.

That's probably it