when i pick
i usually have my pinky (of the picking hand) placed on the body because it makes it easier to find the strings than to just pick midair above the strings

is this bad?
if i need to fix this habit, any tips on how i can find strings more accurately in 'midair'??
I do the same thing, and so do most famous guitarists. If that is how you play best, then that is probably fine. I've tried to pick like Friedman for the heck of it before and it did me no good.
I do this.
I have my picking pinky usually poised to change the volume on my guitar.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
no tiz fine its called anchoring according to my sensei just do it when you need to
or practice some palm muting if u wanna stop doing it so much
Anchoring your pinky may tense up your wrist and hand and too much tension over a long period of time can lead to repetitive stress issues. Make sure you keep your arm loose and relaxed.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I do it all the time. Lately i've been trying to get out of this habit but i still find anchoring more helpful for accuracy.

EDIT: i only do it when i'm picking individual strings, particularly during clean chords or solos.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I would think most people do it, Its not a bad habit really, but you are better off not doing it in the long run. I really dont think it makes a huge differance though.
i do it to. if i remember correctly, its called anchoring
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by 4regt4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dkcgdi_Lp7Y - Yngwie does it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DSlR90VEKlY - Petrucci does it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0 -- Romeo does it...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hAY3WeZovGk -- Satriani does it...

Just the first 4 names I decided to type in.

Ask yourself: do you think these guys HAVE to anchor in order to pick well?

Beginners will tend to anchor right off the bat because, lacking arm control, it
steadies the hand for picking. The problem is, that makes it unlikely they'll ever
learn arm control. The crutch has to be removed for a while until you learn it,
because arm control is actually important for more demanding picking. Once
you have control, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO. Which is why the
"Well, yadyyady does it." argument = phail.

So, also ask yourself: can you pick at all without anchoring on the guitar or do you
HAVE to?
In essence, you have to take the training wheels off some day.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I'm lucky. Anchoring felt wierd to me from day one so I never started it
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
If you're anchoring but your wrist and arm is relaxed, then is fine.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by edg
Ask yourself: do you think these guys HAVE to anchor in order to pick well?

Beginners will tend to anchor right off the bat because, lacking arm control, it
steadies the hand for picking. The problem is, that makes it unlikely they'll ever
learn arm control. The crutch has to be removed for a while until you learn it,
because arm control is actually important for more demanding picking. Once
you have control, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO. Which is why the
"Well, yadyyady does it." argument = phail.

So, also ask yourself: can you pick at all without anchoring on the guitar or do you
HAVE to?

I agree with you, though the threadposter asked if it was a bad thing to do, and clearly the answer is no. As for the other elements of picking, there is more to that than merely telling someone what to do over the net. Personally I had a teacher for the first 3 years of my 12 years of playing, so I luckily got taken away from any potential bad habits early on. Can I curl my hand like Friedman and solo? Yes, but I have to think more about my playing as I prefer to anchor my hand and that is what is natural for me. The "yadyyady" does it isn't an arguement--it merely shows that there are world class players anchoring their pinky. To be an "arguement" one would have to argue that that is the way you should be playing, which isn't necessarily the case.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Mar 20, 2008,
EASIEST ANSWER EVER:

If you do it, it MAY not hurt your playing, speed, technique and general abiliy.
However, if MAY indeed effect these things.

If you DONT do it, it WILL increase your accuracy and speed in the long run, and will lessen tension in your picking hand.

Put it this way...doing it may cause problems (MAY), but not doing it can only help you, not hurt you.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
One technique that helped me tremendously was to hold the pick with an "open" hand. This allows me to "anchor" or even fingerpick the higher strings, but it naturally improves the pick attack angle and forces you to "find" the proper strings from the air.
It's a bad habit. Not very bad, depending on how much tension it creates (how hard you anchor). But I found it worth the effort to get out of the habit and develop arm control.

See Shawn Lane and Rusty Cooley for examples of insane guitarists who don't anchor.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The more important thing is to make sure you're still picking from the wrist and not from your fingers. I find that if I anchor with my pinky I end up picking from my fingers, so I curl them up comfortably (such that I'm not tense anywhere, but my thumb+index are not touching the other fingers).

EDIT: Paul Gilbert see how all movement is done through his wrist? That's basically what you want (he seems to be moving his forearm a bit, but I think that's just a 'side effect' for lack of a better term...). Just make sure you aren't tense and you should be fine.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Mar 21, 2008,