So lately i have been listening more and more to bands that use either 7-string guitars or tunings below B standard, and now im thinking that i cut my Tube amp budget from 4500 to about 3200 (then ca, 1300$ for the guitar).
So i have been looking through various threads and found that most of the time people reccommend Ibanez. But im curious about Schecter guitars, i really like the Loomis sig now.
So any recommendations, i have been thinking of a few guitars
Schecter Jeff Loomis sig (Non FR version, and i love that it has a maple fretboard!)

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (don't like the abalone binding tho..)

Schecter C-7 Blackjack

Ibanez RG7321

Ibanez 7-string Xiphos

ESP/LTD SC-607B

Those were the ones i had in mind, but if there is something else i would gladly look into it, just 3 specs
1. NO Floating Trem (thats why i blocked out the Ibanez RG1527 Prestige)
2. Perferably 24 frets
3. No bolt-on unless it has an AA-NJ

And another question for those who play Schecters, how thick are actually their necks? Schecter guitars look awesome and aren´t that expensive either but there are no retail store here in iceland for schecter, so there is no chance that i can try one out , And yes i played 7-strings before didn't think it was much different than a 6-string, so i'm used to the wider neck.

And for those who whine about the amp im going to buy the 7-string when i buy a new amp (wich is probably a Peavey 6505+ or Mesa Mark IV)

Sry for the wall of text ! XD
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Last edited by stebbic at Mar 20, 2008,
Go for the Loomis man. They are nice.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
have you thought about looking at carvins? they make 7 stings and theyre sturdy as balls. the sound is really diverse too, coiltaps and phase switches, the works. the necks are some of the thinnest for 7 strings. i play a carvin dc727.

the ibanezes are nice too.
What are you... some stalker?
Why no floating trem?

You could always block it?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Loomis
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by Absent Mind
Why no floating trem?

You could always block it?

Because this would be my first seven string so i don't quite know what tuning i would be in most of the time also i have a guitar with a floating trem and it is such a hassle somtimes...
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
i've been playin on ibanez 7's since i started playin electric guitar and my favorite guitar right now is the XPT707. I think it will suit your needs well it has good pickups for low stuff even drop G and it looks like it could really hurt somebody.
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
If you like Schecter 7 necks, then by all means go for one. Otherwise, you can find MIJ Ibanez 7s on ebay for cheap.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm waiting for a Loomis myself, I'm getting one with a Floyd tho. So my vote is for the Loomis.

The maple neck is so delicious looking.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by aznrockerdude
If you like Schecter 7 necks, then by all means go for one. Otherwise, you can find MIJ Ibanez 7s on ebay for cheap.

That's the problem with Schecter they aren't sold here in Iceland So i would have to try a guitar with a similar feel of a Schecter (so i can get an idea how the feel of the neck are) and then buy it from USA.... That's why i wanted to ask exactly how thick they are, are they anything like ESP/LTD or Gibson maybe?

Quote by PlagueX1
I'm waiting for a Loomis myself, I'm getting one with a Floyd tho. So my vote is for the Loomis.

The maple neck is so delicious looking.

I see that you have a Hellraiser, what are your opinion on the neck and fret access?
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Last edited by stebbic at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by stebbic
I see that you have a Hellraiser, what are your opinion on the neck and fret access?

The neck is noticeably larger, but not much. It's not THAT hard to get used to, but regardless you still have to get used to it.

The upper fret access is ok, I generally have the problem of when quickly sliding up to the higher frets my hand stalls at the 23rd fret, it's just something you have to get used to, you'll have to remember that you have to push your fingers a little further to reach that 24th fret.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by PlagueX1
The neck is noticeably larger, but not much. It's not THAT hard to get used to, but regardless you still have to get used to it.

The upper fret access is ok, I generally have the problem of when quickly sliding up to the higher frets my hand stalls at the 23rd fret, it's just something you have to get used to, you'll have to remember that you have to push your fingers a little further to reach that 24th fret.

noticeably larger than what? your jackson ?(i really don´t like their necks for some reasons....) but still there are shredders that use Schecters so their necks arent like baseball bats are they xD?

Im pretty used to my Ibanez neck, thin and very wide. but i have never played a guitar that i thought had a too thick neck (usually too thin...) only guitar that i thought had a to fat neck was the Epiphone Zakk Wylde signature.
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Last edited by stebbic at Mar 21, 2008,
Schecter necks are NOT all that thick. My C-1+ has THE most comfortable neck I've ever played, bar none.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
So the winner here is the Loomis or the Xiphos?
I have actually tried the 6-String Xiphos and i thought it was great (except the bridge) but i think that i should also consider the RG1527 tho it has a floyd (im just gonna block it then) any opinions on that guitar?
I have a Ibanez Prestige guitar myself so i now these guitars are really worth the money.
And dammit... i can't find the Non FR Loomis anywhere on the internet stores :/
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Last edited by stebbic at Mar 22, 2008,
Uhh. *bump*
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quit being a sissy and man up. 8 Strings is the obvious answer.

But if you dont think you can handle 8 then go with the shecters.
Sig What?
Be sure to try a Jackson COW 7. Some are a bit neck heavy however, so test before you buy
The neck is really fast, as you can expect from a Jackson. It's string through, 24 frets, active EMG pickup (only 1), 1 volume knob, bolt-on. It might not be the best one if you play a lot of solo's on the low strings on the higher frets however.
Last edited by Ventor at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by Ventor
Be sure to try a Jackson COW 7. Some are a bit neck heavy however, so test before you buy
The neck is really fast, as you can expect from a Jackson. It's string through, 24 frets, active EMG pickup (only 1), 1 volume knob, bolt-on. It might not be the best one if you play a lot of solo's on the low strings on the higher frets however.

I actually never liked Jackson necks, and that it has only 1 pickup doesn´t sound too good :/
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
You should get a Schecter in my opinion. Admittedly, they are an aquired taste, but if you try them and like them, it'll be worth it. Very good guitars in my opinion.
THis is easy. Gary Kramer Turbulence T. Its way better than the ones listed here that i tried which include the ibanez and shecters. And its got 36 frets. As much as I love ibanez, the Kramer is in a completely different level.

http://www.garykramerguitars.com/TurbulenceT.html

I have an turbulence R, and its by far really far the best 7 string. But i recommenr a turbulence t since its the same as the R without the Floyd Rose.
Why not go for the John Petrucci 7 string? Only a few hundred USD. Look sweet, too.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Mar 26, 2008,
The folks down at sevenstring.org are the ones to ask. Personally i own the FR version of the loomis and love it, swap the EMG's out for Blackouts and the tones unbeatable
Quote by Chris_Parker
Why not go for the John Petrucci 7 string? Only a few hundred USD. Look sweet, too.

That guitar does look awesome but it's to expensive

Quote by StealthyHayze
The folks down at sevenstring.org are the ones to ask. Personally i own the FR version of the loomis and love it, swap the EMG's out for Blackouts and the tones unbeatable

I was thinking of doing that, is Blackout much better than the 707's?
one thing is i heard there is coming a 707 with coil tap.

But does someone here know a secure internet site to buy the Non FR version of the Loomis? ive checked GC, MF, Music123, SamAsh and zZounds and they only sell the FR version
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Last edited by stebbic at Mar 26, 2008,
Have you considered used? You could get a USA BC Rich, or a John Petrucci in your range. Also:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=dc727

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=dc747

With those, you get to pick all of the options for it (wood, electronics, finish, bridge, frets, nut, tuners, etc.). Unless you feel like going for something really fancy (Flame koa top would be an example), it should fit right in to just above your range.

And yes, sevenstring.org is great (i'm on there, I just don't post much). They could help out if you still need it.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Mar 26, 2008,
Drum city guitar land is a great place to look for new schecter models, but as far as i'm aware the hardtail Loomis hasn't actually reached production stages, there are a few floating around but they havent properly entered the circulation yet.

They are new tappable (no pun intended) EMG 707's being issued on the 08 schecter 7's, something to seriously consider.

Im still trying to work out why the guy posted the RG2228, that has no relevance to this thread whatsoever.
Quote by Chris_Parker

where is that then?
Try a few thousand mate.
Quote by TheShred201
Have you considered used? You could get a USA BC Rich, or a John Petrucci in your range. Also:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=dc727

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=dc747

With those, you get to pick all of the options for it (wood, electronics, finish, bridge, frets, nut, tuners, etc.). Unless you feel like going for something really fancy (Flame koa top would be an example), it should fit right in to just above your range.

And yes, sevenstring.org is great (i'm on there, I just don't post much). They could help out if you still need it.

Yeah carvin are top notch guitars aren't they? and aren't they custom shop?
i have checked on eBay for a EBMM JP7 and they are all to expensive :/

Quote by hmm_de_hum
Drum city guitar land is a great place to look for new schecter models, but as far as i'm aware the hardtail Loomis hasn't actually reached production stages, there are a few floating around but they havent properly entered the circulation yet.

They are new tappable (no pun intended) EMG 707's being issued on the 08 schecter 7's, something to seriously consider.

I found the Non-FR version of the Loomis on DrumCityGuitarLand and it's even cheaper than my Prestige Ibanez (wich is awesome)
i think i have made my choice the non-fr version of the Loomis (still going to look at some Carvin guitars)
Thanks everyone for your time to help me
then it's only the amp left (thinking of a Peavey 6505+ or a Mesa Mark IV and a Vader 2x12 cab )
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
I've heard a lot of good about carvin's guitars, though I've never gotten to play one. They are what I would call semi-custom shop as they are production guitars built with the features you want. They aren't handmade, and they aren't completely customizable, but you can still do quite a bit.
Quote by TheShred201
I've heard a lot of good about carvin's guitars, though I've never gotten to play one. They are what I would call semi-custom shop as they are production guitars built with the features you want. They aren't handmade, and they aren't completely customizable, but you can still do quite a bit.

Okay, i have played a Carvin before and it felt very sturdy but i didn't like the neck (and it was INCREDIBLY ugly, i think it was the Carvin Holdsworth signature)
but i never tried a Carvin 7-string
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
trust me carvin 7 string is the way to go. unbeatable feel, sturdy, diverse, hot
What are you... some stalker?