exactly 51 seconds into this song you hear (in the begginning solo) Kirk plays (on the high e string) he hits, the frets 15, 15, 12, then goes on to a hammer/pulloff, but everytime i do it i just get this bland high sound, but when he does it, he has this really chunky, metal tone to it, i thought at first it was a pinch harmonic but i deffinately cant hit it, anyone have ideas of how to do this? if u dont know what im talking bout then listen to the song and listen to the notes at 51 seconds.
He's raking the B and G strings and bending the high e.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
It's actually not a hammer on/pull off, it's a slide and it sounds so heavy because he is playing the 5th below it on the B string as a ghost note at the same time. And he might also rake the G string.
kirk is pretty unimaginative in his solo's imo. they aren't that hard to figure out, they are usually in a minor scale in the key of E
Quote by dio_dude
kirk is pretty unimaginative in his solo's imo. they aren't that hard to figure out, they are usually in a minor scale in the key of E

While I personally don't think Kirk is one of the greatest guitarists out there... I'm getting a bit tired of Kirk bashing on the forum.

Fade to Black, Ride the Lightning, The Unforgiven and of course Master of Puppets and One. Those are some of the most impressive solos in metal, especially MoP & One.

When any one of you on this forum can come up with something half as original as the One solo, then I might take you seriously. Who cares if he uses Em most of the time. 90% of metal is in whatever your E string is tuned to.
I'm not even a huge Metallica fan, but I'm getting tired of noobs who just learned how to do pinch harmonics, telling everyone how **** Kirk is.
Quote by mr. broken
While I personally don't think Kirk is one of the greatest guitarists out there... I'm getting a bit tired of Kirk bashing on the forum.

Fade to Black, Ride the Lightning, The Unforgiven and of course Master of Puppets and One. Those are some of the most impressive solos in metal, especially MoP & One.

When any one of you on this forum can come up with something half as original as the One solo, then I might take you seriously. Who cares if he uses Em most of the time. 90% of metal is in whatever your E string is tuned to.
I'm not even a huge Metallica fan, but I'm getting tired of noobs who just learned how to do pinch harmonics, telling everyone how **** Kirk is.

+1. Well said. I'm not the biggest fan of Metallica either (I used to really like them but I lost most of my respect for them when I found out how they treated Dave Mustaine, but I don't have anything against Kirk). I know exactly what you're saying. He's not the greatest guitarist, but he's still pretty good.

Quote by SA215OL
umm quick question, how do you do ghost notes?

Ghost notes are notes that don't sound out very much when you play them. They are kind of like background noises that add a little bit to the music. One way to play them is to just barely hit the string so it doesn't vibrate much and therefore doesn't make much sound. It takes a bit of getting used to.