Page 1 of 2
So, my mom is a real religious fanatic and I'm not. She makes me go to church every week, which I don't mind to much, but I'd rather not, because I feel it's disrespectful for me to pretend like I believe in what is going on at Mass. I've told her this and she doesn't respect my decisions. I also feel like shes pushing me farther away by forcing me to go. I want to have what all the other people have, but I don't. It just feels fake to me. I'm 15 and have been going to Catholic schools for 6 years, so I know enough about the religion to know how I feel about it.

Now shes signed me up to get my feet washed at mass tonight. I'm very against it. Whenever I go to church I don't say a word and now she's making me participate in a role at the front of the church.

So what should I do UG? How can I get out of this mess.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Hmm, I really don't know, but I don't think she should be forcing her views on you like that.

I don't think you should sit there and take it but I don't know what you should do instead either.
Sit her down and discuss your opinion rationally.

Failing that, discuss it with the Priest. They'll have sway over your mother that you don't have.
Terms and Conditions apply.
don't tell us about it.. tell her

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by cagnius

Failing that, discuss it with the Priest. They'll have sway over your mother that you don't have.

+1FTWdothisheisright.
Masturbate furiously at the front of the church.

That should stop them ever wanting you back...
Speak to your priest, and ask him to have a discussion with your mother. She'll listen to him if not to you.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Tell her you can wash your feet at home.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by cagnius

I've sat down and had this discussion many times. She just always says that I want you to be saved and then she tells me how Jesus helped her so much. Also how there are starving kids an Africa and I should thank Jesus that I'm not one of them, which I retort with if Jesus helped you why wouldn't he help kids in Africa. She just says I must have said the right prayers.

I don't know what good talking to a priest would be, he would just tell me I'm wrong to.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Fleabag
Masturbate furiously at the front of the church.

That should stop them ever wanting you back...

That'll teach them
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Flat out refuse. If she punishes you, take the punishment and don't give in. What you believe is possibly the most fundamental right in the world and NO-ONE, not your mother, not anyone, should be able to take that away from you. And I say that as a person who has chosen not to follow his parent's religion, WITH THEIR BLESSING. Show her this thread if you think it will help! It'll show her that its not some stupid teenage rebellion or whatever, but a very serious issue on which many people feel the same way about. Belief is totally personal. Don't let anyone, not even God, tell you otherwise.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I've sat down and had this discussion many times. She just always says that I want you to be saved and then she tells me how Jesus helped her so much. Also how there are starving kids an Africa and I should thank Jesus that I'm not one of them, which I retort with if Jesus helped you why wouldn't he help kids in Africa. She just says I must have said the right prayers.

I don't know what good talking to a priest would be, he would just tell me I'm wrong to.

He won't, priests are generally a lot more accepting. He'll want to help you out rather than force you to stay in church.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
REFUSE. forcing religion is the purest for of mind****. I'm sorry to offend your mother for her descisions but its braniswashing and if you don't want it you have a right too!
find your own believes or non at all, but by ignoring what you actually think this goes on forever.
Make a scene in front of the entire church to let her know that you REALLY don't want to be there.
She thinks that it would make me a bad person.

Taking punishment is a possibility, but one I don't want to break her heart, when she's supposed to be her happiest. And secondly she's already threatened to take all my guitar gear, most of which I've payed for with my own money.

I don't necessarily not believe in God and Jesus it's just that I'm not sure and I need time away to think about it.

EDIT: ^
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by Dinkydaisy
He won't, priests are generally a lot more accepting. He'll want to help you out rather than force you to stay in church.

Yeah, +1.

I have a friend who is gay, he used to go to church but one day he spoke to the priest and said "Yah, I'm gay and I'm not sure I'm christian, I'm really only here so I don't go to hell".

The priest told him that that's not a good enough reason to be christian and that he shouldn't come to church if he didn't want to.
i love how at the top of the page theres an advertisement for a free book of mormon.

irony?
empty the bullets from the chamber
Make her watch that Zeitgeist movie
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
go live with an aunt and uncle.
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
OH! claim you have a phobia of being at church. im sure theres some name for that type of phobia! lol scared of jesus and his lightning bolts
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
This is more important than guitar or studies or job or anything. This is THE most single important personal issue that you'll ever have to deal with. DO NOT take no for an answer, no matter what the consequences, no matter the hurt.

This isn't a question of if, it's a question of when she will accept that your beliefs are your beliefs.Seriously dude, it doesn't get much more serious than this. These are the rules that you live your life by we're talking about, not just something as banal as a footwash. Don't give an inch.
I know what you mean. I'm Catholic, and I believe in God and Jesus, and I like a lot of the things that the Catholic faith has (saints, focus on Mary, the pope, etc), but I just don't get a whole lot out of mass. I attend mass at school about once a month and sometimes outside, but for the most part I don't go on weekends. I don't think that makes me particularly unholy, I just think I get my spiritual fix elsewhere, mostly from the arts. I think you really have to find what works for you. Church isn't for everybody.

EDIT:
Quote by RickGardiner
Make her watch that Zeitgeist movie

Zeitgeist was dumb as hell. I looked up all those gods that supposedly had all that stuff in common with Jesus, and it was either greatly exaggerated or just straight up untrue. The Egyptian god Horus' birth was the result of necrophilia, not immaculate conception for instance.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Last edited by VoodooChild15 at Mar 20, 2008,
I agree with cagnius. Talk to the priest and ask him to talk to your mom about it. Though your priest would want you to be Catholic, obviously, I don't think he'd want you to be forced into it against your will. If your mom is as devout as she seems, she will listen to the priest, no matter what he says.
Quote by Dauntless
i love how at the top of the page theres an advertisement for a free book of mormon.

irony?

How did the Book of Mormon get into this? Though I'm Mormon and would like other people to discover the truths of the Book of Mormon, I don't get why it's being advertised here. I haven't seen the advertisement anywhere else online except for here. Heck, half the people here are atheist/agnostic.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
So, my mom is a real religious fanatic and I'm not. She makes me go to church every week, which I don't mind to much, but I'd rather not, because I feel it's disrespectful for me to pretend like I believe in what is going on at Mass. I've told her this and she doesn't respect my decisions. I also feel like shes pushing me farther away by forcing me to go. I want to have what all the other people have, but I don't. It just feels fake to me. I'm 15 and have been going to Catholic schools for 6 years, so I know enough about the religion to know how I feel about it.

Now shes signed me up to get my feet washed at mass tonight. I'm very against it. Whenever I go to church I don't say a word and now she's making me participate in a role at the front of the church.

So what should I do UG? How can I get out of this mess.

You are 15 dude, time to take a stand. Flat out refuse. Unless you live in a 3rd world country, I'm pretty sure you have a right to freedom of religion, meaning NOBODY can force ANY KIND of religion or religious practice on you. This also means you can CHOOSE to practice any religion you like.

I would also talk to the priest, he's more likely to listen to what you're saying. Unless he's a prick.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
She thinks that it would make me a bad person.

Taking punishment is a possibility, but one I don't want to break her heart, when she's supposed to be her happiest. And secondly she's already threatened to take all my guitar gear, most of which I've payed for with my own money.

I don't necessarily not believe in God and Jesus it's just that I'm not sure and I need time away to think about it.

EDIT: ^

If you live in Canada she can be arrested for taking your property (the gear you paid).
There is a law protecting ALL canadian citizens from ANY unreasonable search and seizure meaning nobody not even cops can take away something from you or just search without a warrant. Meaning your mom would be doing something completely illegal by taking your guitar gear if she didnt pay for it.

EDIT: Really sorry for the double-post, I just thought there would be another post after my first post after 7minutes.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Walk around all day outside in bare feet so there's fuck-loads of dirt for the priest to wash off.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by miguelito2729
If you live in Canada she can be arrested for taking your property (the gear you paid).
There is a law protecting ALL canadian citizens from ANY unreasonable search and seizure meaning nobody not even cops can take away something from you or just search without a warrant. Meaning your mom would be doing something completely illegal by taking your guitar gear if she didnt pay for it.

EDIT: Really sorry for the double-post, I just thought there would be another post after my first post after 7minutes.

I live in America, she said that all things in her house are her property even if I payed for it.
Quote by doggy_hat
well I too go to church to please my dad an step-mum , i feel obligated to be there, for the sake of being there. but i do skip church ever so often and sleep in. damn i hate getting up early... anyways if you hate church so much just dont go ...
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I live in America, she said that all things in her house are her property even if I payed for it.

Um, of course that's what she'd like to think. I'm sure you could get after her legally if she does take your guitar/gear away (for good).
No offense...But your mom sounds like a right Bible-Basher.

Though i agree with what Lord Bishek has said and make a stand. Your on the footholds of manhood and these years of your life are the most important and shape how your life will turn out. Just tell your mum NO, and stick to it as hard as you can.
Tell her to pray for you, because you've lost your faith etc, that way your mum can feel like she is protecting you and blessing you.
Be assertive. It might make her upset, but it's probably the only way she'll learn. Make her realize that trying to force you to accept her religionby means of threatening to take your gear won't really make you take it to heart, and doing that is just a facade. If your mom is anything like mine, though, then she already has her sights set and no amount of talk will change that :/
Page 1 of 2