So recently Ive noticed that my bass doesnt have much sustain as I would want it to have.
Its a decent Ibanez srx700 series active with EQ on it.
Its not something new or anything but I would like to try and improve the sustain.

Is this do-able?
I know you can buy a sustainer system for guitaras, but I'm not sure about bass. Could try and find out if they make sustain pedals. Or one of those Ebow things
i'd look for a sustain pedal. They do not currently make a sustainer pickup for bass that I know of. I do know that Billy Sheehan has been trying to get Fernandes to make a sustainer bass pickup but he said "they won't return my calls..."
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
If it was a Fender, you could have got a Badass bridge... but i'm not too sure about Ibanez.
also a sustainer bass pickup is probably going to cost a hell of a lot more than a pedal due to the fact you'll probably have to have a new cavity cut in your bass
Like .Anfield, I was thinking of a new bridge, especially a Leo Quan. If you can't get one on your bass, look into an e-bow or sustainer pedal.
Quote by Waters?
So recently Ive noticed that my bass doesnt have much sustain as I would want it to have.
Its not something new or anything but I would like to try and improve the sustain.

Is this do-able?

Yes - do-able by better technique

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Yes - do-able by better technique

Does technique even have anything to do with sustain? I was always under the impression that it was mostly woods. I know that my bass sustains just about as long no matter who plays it, regardless of technique.

Also adding a little more low in the EQ tends to get me more sustain, with the unfortunate side effect of boomy-ness.
Quote by Jiimy
Does technique even have anything to do with sustain?

Technique certainly does have something to do with sustain. Correct fingering = better sustain. If you're crap at fretting, you aren't going to get the sustain. Of course, the woods play a large part in sustain, but isn't the only player.
Quote by Jiimy
Does technique even have anything to do with sustain? I was always under the impression that it was mostly woods. I know that my bass sustains just about as long no matter who plays it, regardless of technique.

Also adding a little more low in the EQ tends to get me more sustain, with the unfortunate side effect of boomy-ness.

If you have a bad left hand technique you will get poorer sustain.

If you dont press on the right part with the right amount of pressure you will get less sustain. Try it. I call BS if you get no change in sustain with a good technique compared to a bad one.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Well I mean there is a difference between complete beginner technique and somebody that plays with a level of competence. I thought you were getting at there being some technique beyond the basics of playing that lead to improved sustain.
Quote by Jiimy

proper technique is essential to sustain. my Jazz bass sustains way longer than i need it to. proper EQ is important for a good tone, but i don't see it increasing my sustain any noticable amount. thats part of the fun of this room, you never know if the person volunteering advice, has a clue about what they are talking about.
I'm not sure, but wouldn't a digitech bass squeeze pedal increase sustain?

Again, I could be totally wrong here... xD
Peavey Fury bass
100 watt SWR Workingman's 12
I doubt it, and I don't think an eBow is a practical solution to your problem.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
thats part of the fun of this room, you never know if the person volunteering advice, has a clue about what they are talking about.

You just gotta listen to the common sense I guess. And sift thru the piles of band wagon jumpers, noobs and down right nuscencies.

Here's a tip for any forum user - take everything at face value and this is probably the most important tip of all use of the internet - dont put any financial decision in the hands of a mob on an internet forum!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
I can tell you what doesn't work--the Groove Tube Fat Finger Guitar Sustain Enhancer. Waste of money.

As far as modifications go, a BadAss bridge will do wonders. I also think string through basses have a slightly better sustain.
I dont think an E-bow would fit to be the solution for me.
Could I install a Badass II bridge on the Ibanez?
Does the action take part in the sustain of the sound wave?
Id look into more options before riding on the pedal solution...
On the subject of sustain enhancing techniques, what about a very subtle vibrato?
Um the action definitely has an effect on sustain, if the action is too low the notes won't ring out properly - It needs to be a practical distance. Same with the Pick Up height, you may want to check that too (if it's too low you won't get very clear/loud notes ringing out). And then it's just, like others said, technique.
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Um the action definitely has an effect on sustain, if the action is too low the notes won't ring out properly - It needs to be a practical distance. Same with the Pick Up height, you may want to check that too (if it's too low you won't get very clear/loud notes ringing out). And then it's just, like others said, technique.

My action is pretty high, and when I lower the action the strings hit the fretboard(I guess) when I play around the 8-13 frets area and it makes this clingy sound.
But it effects my playing when its so high....
My pickups height is fine I guess, its at the height of the fretboard, theyre SFR-AL Alnico's so the magnet doesnt stick out.
Its an Accu-Cast Bridge, and Im thinking it doesnt have good sustain and maybe it might be the reason for the clingy sound...
My technique is good - at least I believe it is, no one has ever said anything bad about it.
^In that case, no you can't get better sustain without getting another Bass ... sorry

Especially if it's a Bass with a nice selection of Woods, and Neck-Through Basses are suppose to have a much more solid/longer lasting sustain. My newest Bass is made from Mahogany (body) and has a Wedge/Bulbinga (sp?) Neck [5-piece] - And it has uber-amounts of sustain.

That coupled with smooth Finger Style + subtle Vibrato, I can get it to ring out for ages
Quote by Waters?

Is this do-able?

It's all in the fingers.

These are also good to have:

Neck-thru body/neck fixation
Highly resonating body wood
Highly resonating neck wood
Tilt-back headstock
Bridge
Nut
Quote by faultyy
I know you can buy a sustainer system for guitaras, but I'm not sure about bass. Could try and find out if they make sustain pedals. Or one of those Ebow things

The E-bow is ****ing horrid. I would go with a sustain pedal.
In my opinion, a bassist isn't very effective if they're noticing that their notes are decaying into oblivion. You should be playing... not holding notes. If your bass is decaying to nothing after a... whole note, tops, you have something very, very wrong with your bass.

But to answer your question - here's a quick solution: Play more notes. Don't just stand there and let the bass ring out.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..