This is their new album, has anyone heard it? I just downloaded it and i loved it. It's definately no jester race, and not as heavy but it still seems like a great album. What are UG's thoughts on it?
Call me Jack
Horrible.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
i ****ing love it, although i like their old stuff (subterranean ftw!)
come on, once you listen to mirror's truth or move through me you gotta admit they made a huge step from come clarity which was rather mediocre
Quite the contrary, actually.

CC may have been mediocre, but it was at least metal, and had some fairly good tracks, like Vanishing Light, Crawl through Knives, Pacing Death's Trail...

This.... This was horrible. All the melodies were drowned by the terrible rhythms, and the riffs were merely mediocre. Anders vocals have also regressed, and may be worse than on R2R....

It's really just extremely bad metalcore. No matter how far they downtune, its not gonna be heavy. The riffs begin to sound the same as the album goes on.... And mostly, its just bland.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I just listened through the album,

and I wanted so badly for it to be good...

but I could hardly tell when it would change from one song to the next.

Then, there WAS one point when it got better.

But I soon realized that it had just finished the CD and started R2R, and I wanted to cry.
Quote by kinzoku

Christ, that video was ****ing awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4q5wt1pPZQ&feature=related - Dead Eternity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkpywX-wu7g&feature=related - Upon an Oaken Throne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmNP8Oi2Ao - Episode 666 (Best interview at the end.)

I love Jesper's stage presence haha. And even in the little interview segments before and after each song you can tell how much their attitudes towards music and media have changed between now and then.
Last edited by metal7690 at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by metal7690

I love Jesper's stage presence haha. And even in the little interview segments before and after each song you can tell how much their attitudes towards music and media have changed between now and then.

How so?
In today's interviews they are all very media happy, joking around, not really taking anything seriously and eager to please. In those old interviews they barely crack a smile and you can tell how seriously they are focused on their music and their passion for it, let alone the fact that their attitude towards the camera is basically "F-you, I don't feel like answering any more questions."

I'm not saying they are bad people by any means. They're human; they mature and act differently then they would when they were 20 or whatever. But it kind of gives an insight into why their music has changed so drastically.
Quote by metal7690
Christ, that video was ****ing awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4q5wt1pPZQ&feature=related - Dead Eternity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkpywX-wu7g&feature=related - Upon an Oaken Throne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmNP8Oi2Ao - Episode 666 (Best interview at the end.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezVZTTuLHI&feature=related - behind space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYdxpwkVIP0&feature=related - december flower(No Solo )
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
^ thats just because their english was so bad at first, duh. I like new in flames better then the old "stuff" minus Soundtrack......its all just taste. The people who think that Jester Race was a genius album will not like this CD, and people who think Clayman was their best will like this album.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ thats just because their english was so bad at first, duh. I like new in flames better then the old "stuff" minus Soundtrack......its all just taste. The people who think that Jester Race was a genius album will not like this CD, and people who think Clayman was their best will like this album.

NO.

Even Clayman is still melodic death. Still pretty good.

People who like the **** ass nu metal crap like R2R and STYE will like it.

The album is basically a mix of the bad stuff from Clayman, and the good stuff from R2R... Oh wait. R2R just plain sucked, so....
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by metal7690

I'm not saying they are bad people by any means. They're human; they mature and act differently then they would when they were 20 or whatever. But it kind of gives an insight into why their music has changed so drastically.

It really doesn't, and their music hasn't changed drastically. It's not like they made The Jester Race and then their next album was Soundtrack To Your Escape. They've become much friendlier people and being friendly and open in interviews is likely to make you more presentable to an audience. No, funnily enough, this isn't a bad thing.

I think it's ridiculous that everyone seems to think that trying to promote yourselves is a bad thing, because that's bollocks. You make your music, finish your record, and then get out there and try to sell it to as many people as possible, so you can get more capabilities and opportunities for the next one. What's the problem with that?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Christ, all's I'm doing is presenting the correlation between their attitude and their music. I never said it was good or bad either way. But you look at the old interviews and you get the Lunar Strain through Colony era. Look at the new interviews and you get the Clayman through A sense of purpose era. Get it?

I'm saying their general attitude in trying to please the media may have made its way into their current music, don't you think?
i'm not even going to bother download their album seeing as the last 3 album sucked so bad
i havent listened to it yet,but hearing what people said about it im not even going to bother
Wolv
Quote by Thedarkwolf
i havent listened to it yet,but hearing what people said about it im not even going to bother

Same.

I can't be bothered with another nu-metal release.

Until they start to realise where their roots lie, I can't be arsed with them. They were a major force in the rise of melodic death metal, what the hell have they reduced themselves to?
I like it a lot. Anders seems to have stopped kidding himself and let up on the banshee screams...I think his singing voice works well with the newer style. (It's sort of like Reroute but the songwriting reminds me more of Colony/Clayman). Drenched in Fear and Disconnected are great. I don't care what anyone says, they haven't sold out; they've just changed. Also the solos are much better than they were on Come Clarity.

In Flames aren't a melodeath band anymore, but they are certainly still metal and their sound is still distinct. For as much flack as these guys take for being "derivative and unoriginal" nowadays, I can't think of a single band they sound too much like now, whereas on albums like Lunar Strain and The Jester Race they sounded a LOT like At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, etc.

And they're definitely not nu metal.
IMO, disappointing.

The Mirror's Truth was promising, but egh... they failed again.

*gets back to Colony*
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYdxpwkVIP0&feature=related - december flower(No Solo )

Yeah, that disappointed me too. I heard that some other guitarist that wasn't part of the band wrote and recorded the lead guitar parts on that song for In Flames. I could be slightly wrong though.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
Yeah his voice was pretty fail on that gig.

Anyways,

Personally, I thought STYE and CC were decent/mediocre, but RTR and TMT were just terrible.
i may say that the album is better then the Come Clairty ****, but i cant say it is Death metal anymore.

its more like melodic thrash or something ( dont relly know were to put this **** ) or just a bit melodic metal.

Their Ep sounded good, but when the album relesed, it sound like **** again. The ep was better then the album.

And that sucks hard, becuse the Ep is supposed to the first taste of the album. The album should be better then the Ep i belive.

But im glad they didnt make a album like Come clairy again.
Quote by metal7690

I'm saying their general attitude in trying to please the media may have made its way into their current music, don't you think?

Nope.

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
**** it, I really liked it to be honest. I was expecting something more like STYE.
The only thing I dont really like are the lyrics in some of the songs. Kinda feels like he's improvising them as he goes along. Even then, there are some pretty good ones.
I'm happy with the guitar though, some of the riffs are awesome.
Quote by torturer6067
...i thinkits time tomove all inflames threads to nu-metal forum!

Do you even know what nu-metal IS?

The only In Flames album that even sounds REMOTELY like nu metal is Soundtrack to Your Escape. Reroute, Come Clarity, and A Sense of Purpose are clearly straight-up metal albums whether you like them or not, and if anything they'd be closer to metalcore than nu metal.

I mean, honestly. Are you going to tell me that March to ther Shore is a nu metal song? Hell no it's not. Are you going to tell me that Sober and Irrelevant is a nu-metal song? Hell no it's not. Are you going to tell me that Pacing Death's Trail is a nu-metal song? FUCK no it's not. They're metal songs on metal albums. You don't have to like the new In Flames, I still prefer their old stuff myself, but you can't say it doesn't belong in the metal forum just because you dislike it.

Just because one or two songs on the albums have a nu-metal influence doesn't mean the band is nu-metal. FFS, Sober and Irrelevant would sound exactly like a Dark Tranquillity song from Fiction if Mikael Stanne was doing vocals. But you don't see anyone complaining about Dark Tranquillity, because it's not the cool thing to do. They've changed as a band, too, and they have a lot of the same industrial elements In Flames took on.