Hi, i pretend to buy a new guitar but i don't know each one to choose... I cant play them so i dont know which one i like most.

I know the epiphone is 250€ cheaper and i think i prefer the g400 (the standard one, not the vintage) finish and neck inlays, but a gibson is always a gibson.

Do you think that is better to spend more 250€ on gibson? Or the only difference is the name on the headstock?
I'd get the Epi, since the quality is much more... consistent than the gibson special series.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by d3baser
Hi, i pretend to buy a new guitar but i don't know each one to choose... I cant play them so i dont know which one i like most.

I know the epiphone is 250€ cheaper and i think i prefer the g400 (the standard one, not the vintage) finish and neck inlays, but a gibson is always a gibson.

Do you think that is better to spend more 250€ on gibson? Or the only difference is the name on the headstock?

I'd go for the Epi.

It seems a Gibson is always a Gibson, as long as you drop a couple of grand on it.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!

A special like this?

Plays very much like a standard.
Worth the money IMO.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
even though you are pretending(i think lol) it really depends on the type of wood that is in the guitar the epiphone can have a nice solid consistent density all along it and for the price i would get that but for the main part gibson have a more strict quality control thus the price, so since ur pretending, id use monopoly money and get both,
I would play both and then decide, some of the Faded SGs are really great and some of them are terrible, it depends on the particular guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by pageisgod493
even though you are pretending(i think lol) it really depends on the type of wood that is in the guitar the epiphone can have a nice solid consistent density all along it and for the price i would get that but for the main part gibson have a more strict quality control thus the price, so since ur pretending, id use monopoly money and get both,

The lack of decent quality control is exactly the problem with those Gibsons...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I've played the Gibson Faded Special SGs, and I did not like them at all. My epiphone g-400 is way better.
Epi

Gibson really pissed me off when they decided to knock the price up from $570 to $700, just because they're Gibson.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
when i went into the guitar center around here i hated all the gibson sg's i actually liked the feel of the epiphone better...the gibson's sounded a little better...when it came down to it i thing the feell was more important
I had teh same idea but I'm getting the Gibson.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
The smart thing to do is grab a guitarist buddy, if you have one, take him to the music store, and make sure he knows what hes talking about. Tell him to test both unplugged and plugged in, so he can tell you how it feels & sounds, etc. This way, he can give you a basic idea of which one he likes better.

But, afterwards, take both guitars and try holding it, see which one feels more comfortable on you, since he already tested it's sound and tone.

Honestly though, depending on the situation, the G-400 could be better, or the Special Faded could be better. That's why it's always important to test both guitars. Maybe the SG Special was one of the better made ones, and then G-400 was just, typical made, then I would get the better made one. Or maybe the SG Special was crappily made, and the G-400 was well made, then you would get the G-400.

Just get whatever feels, sounds, and is better bang for the buck.
To the people who said "well, if you're pretending": You do know english isn't his first language, right? I think he meant intending.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd go for the Gibson personally. But try lots out and make sure you don't get a lemon.

This whole Epiphone > Lower end Gibson business is mainly hearsay as far as I'm concerned. There are some fantastic Epi's, and some fantastic low - end Gibsons. Buy whichever you are most comfortable with.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!