Page 1 of 2
Especially bands like dir en grey in their earlier years.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Can you post a link to a clip (e.g. on Youtube) which demonstrates this?

"Japanese jangle slight overdriven" sounds like a quite interesting tone.
dont know what youre talkin about

but a slightly overdriven tone comes from a good all valve amp being played loud, so the signal 'breaks up', and overdrive happens
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
from what I've heard of Dir En Grey, sounds like they are using single coils into overdriven fender amps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I emailed them and they said

"It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works."

Thank me later
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
a slightly overdriven tone comes from a good all valve amp being played loud, so the signal 'breaks up', and overdrive happens
Quote by mike.h

"It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works."

Thank me later

I lol'ed hard.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by Horlicks
a slightly overdriven tone comes from a good all valve amp being played loud, so the signal 'breaks up', and overdrive happens

thats just what i was going to say
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by mike.h

Thank me later

OMFGBBQ
Yeah to throw in an input

GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
they probably get that by cranking a tube amp, so the power tubes are saturated and they start to clip. the signal breaks up and overdrive happens.
In all seriousness.

So you should look into a good overdrive pedal (Bad Monkey) to make your signal break up at lower volumes
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Oh god not again. Seriously - these robots are just repeating each other - ignore them....
The way it really works is that a slightly overdriven tone comes from a good all valve amp being played loud, so the signal 'breaks up', and overdrive happens.
Hope that helps mate
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Oh god...

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Oh god not again. Seriously - these robots are just repeating each other - ignore them....
The way it really works is that a slightly overdriven tone comes from a good all valve amp being played loud, so the signal 'breaks up', and overdrive happens.
Hope that helps mate

Wait...

You're not a robot?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
In all seriousness.

So you should look into a good overdrive pedal (Bad Monkey) to make your signal break up at lower volumes

Everything you said was completely 100% true...except for that last part. A good overdrive pedal is not the bad monkey. Its a passable overdrive pedal. Its good for its price i guess, but thats all. A good overdrive pedal would be like the ts-808 or the OCD.

But yeah, I guess that was kinda a useless comment, but still, it had to be said.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
Everything you said was completely 100% true...except for that last part. A good overdrive pedal is not the bad monkey. Its a passable overdrive pedal. Its good for its price i guess, but thats all. A good overdrive pedal would be like the ts-808 or the OCD.

But yeah, I guess that was kinda a useless comment, but still, it had to be said.

Ive heard people who've owned both a TS9 and Bad Monkey say that the Bad Monkey is better for them. I also dont think people really want to spend 100 more dollars on something thats very similar, tone and quality wise.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

ts9 and the ts-808 are pretty different in terms of quality. As is the bad monkey and the ts-808, although more so. Again, Im not saying its a bad pedal, but it is in no way a 'good' overdrive pedal when you compare it to all the other overdrives out there. Its good for the price, but you cant say that it and the OCD are on the same level of quality.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
ts9 and the ts-808 are pretty different in terms of quality. As is the bad monkey and the ts-808, although more so. Again, Im not saying its a bad pedal, but it is in no way a 'good' overdrive pedal when you compare it to all the other overdrives out there. Its good for the price, but you cant say that it and the OCD are on the same level of quality.

Dont mean to argue, but the Bad Monkey is virtually the same as the TS9, just without the mid hump and with an added low control.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I can't get better OD tones out of my BM.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
my bad monkey is soooooo fricken bad that i have to SPANK it ALL the time!!!

BAD MONKEY!!! BAAADDDDD MONKEEEEYYYYY!!!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by mike.h
Ive heard people who've owned both a TS9 and Bad Monkey say that the Bad Monkey is better for them. I also dont think people really want to spend 100 more dollars on something thats very similar, tone and quality wise.

Hearing about people who like something more than something else hardly counts as an opinion. I'm sorry, but that's just my opinion...on opinions.

TS, I vote for Strats an Teles plugged into Twin Reverbs and AC30s. Yum.

Quote by mike.h
Dont mean to argue, but the Bad Monkey is virtually the same as the TS9, just without the mid hump and with an added low control.

It has the mid hump. Well, my ears tell me that. And it's only the same in principle; it's another TS9-based OD. That dosn't mean it will last half as long or sound as good as on many settings.

I hate to keep fighting you on Bad Monkey issues, man, but as an owner of a BM and a player of a TS9, it's just not the same. There are good reasons to pay the extra $50 (not $100) for the TS9.
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by jimmy666page666
My first guess is with chop sitcks

Isn't that kind of a racist remark?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Hearing about people who like something more than something else hardly counts as an opinion. I'm sorry, but that's just my opinion...on opinions.

TS, I vote for Strats an Teles plugged into Twin Reverbs and AC30s. Yum.

It has the mid hump. Well, my ears tell me that. And it's only the same in principle; it's another TS9-based OD. That dosn't mean it will last half as long or sound as good as on many settings.

I hate to keep fighting you on Bad Monkey issues, man, but as an owner of a BM and a player of a TS9, it's just not the same. There are good reasons to pay the extra $50 (not $100) for the TS9.

THANK YOU.

I dont mean to argue either, but the bad monkey seems to do no wrong on this forum and i feel it really isnt warranted. Its decent but not nearly as spectacular as its made out to be. The TS-9 isnt even the best, but like spinesurf says, its 50$ more for a reason.
Quote by HeartInACage
THANK YOU.

I dont mean to argue either, but the bad monkey seems to do no wrong on this forum and i feel it really isnt warranted. Its decent but not nearly as spectacular as its made out to be. The TS-9 isnt even the best, but like spinesurf says, its 50$ more for a reason.

It's $50 dollars more for the same reason that the Marshall MG costs twice as much as other amps of similar (lack of) quality. The TS-9 is the Paris Hilton of overdrives; it's famous because it's famous.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i would guess a marshall or vox stack and a strat bridge pickup. i've seen too many used by lame (some cool) japanese bands.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the tone isnt the normal cranked tube amp sound, rather id say its one of those lo-fi sounds which would come from single coils through some sort of filter then to the amp...(going off the above link's tone)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
the ts-9 is famous because it sounds good, unlike the MG. The MG is riding on the marshall fame, but TS-9 is the ibanez fame. Its like saying the plexi is famous because its famous. Its famous for a reason. And for the record, I never even brought the ts-9 into the mix. I specifically said ts-808...not the ts-9, which is different.
Quote by HeartInACage
the ts-9 is famous because it sounds good, unlike the MG. The MG is riding on the marshall fame, but TS-9 is the ibanez fame. Its like saying the plexi is famous because its famous. Its famous for a reason. And for the record, I never even brought the ts-9 into the mix. I specifically said ts-808...not the ts-9, which is different.

You said TS-9.
It's a fine pedal, but it's not the end all-be all of overdrives. People have ascribed it some sort of mythical status against which no other overdrive can compare. It consists of a few electronics shoved into a cheap plastic case. People are going to improve on the design, and they have.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by HeartInACage

Hmmm doesnt look like i said TS-9. It looks like i said ts-808. And I never said the ts-9 was a fantastic OD. In fact, I only said it was better than the BM, which is true.

And I still stand by what I said about the Bm not being a 'good' overdrive by definition. The OCD is a good OD, the BM, in the same sense that the OCD is, is not.

EDIT:
Quote by HeartInACage

In fact, I specifically went out of my way to say that the TS-9, which another poster mistakenly referred to, and the ts-808, which i was referring to, are very different. So yeah...
Last edited by HeartInACage at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
No thats a stereotype.........

Iono, wouldn't you categorize stereotypes under a form of racism? It's somewhat discriminatory, innit?

Anywho, to be more on topic, the tone you're talking about sounds like single coils pushing into one of those old Marshalls or somethin.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
The post I responded to...

My math is terrible, but I'm pretty sure that "9" is different from "808".
Quote by Archeo Avis
The post I responded to...

TBH I don't see what your problem is, did someone call your baby ugly?

TS-9 is not the "top of the line" Tube Screamer, but it's still in many cases better than the Bad Monkey.

Quote by Generalpwnt
Iono, wouldn't you categorize stereotypes under a form of racism? It's somewhat discriminatory, innit?

Other way around... racism is a form of stereotype.

... and I still haven't seen any examples of unique Japanese overdrive. Can no one post any?
Quote by Archeo Avis

Actually, if you look at 808, it's pretty clearly 8 times 8 (the circle being the multiplication mark (well we use a dot in Finland, close enough)) which is 64. Then again, 8+0+8 is 16, and 16+64 is 90, while 9+0 is 9. So there you have it - 808 is indeed 9.

(...sorry, couldn't resist)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Mar 21, 2008,
Page 1 of 2