Page 1 of 2
To make it simple:

I don't enjoy play anymore. I've been playing for 7 months, everything I play sound like ****. My mother says I can't play anything and my sister says it sounds like ****.
Lately, I have been starting to believe that, cuz I play really bad in my opinion. My gear could you see on my sig, is isn't so good...

I can play maybe 10 songs or something and not even a single solo...
I tried the Fear Of The Dark solo, but I can't alternate pick so that destroyed me.
Then I was starting to work on alt picking but I didn't do any progress, so I got even worse self confidence.

Please, tell me how I'm gonna make guitar fun again, because I know it is.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by whoismilan
What kind of music do you play?

Metal. Mainly Metallica with a little bit of Iron Maiden.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Try playing something easier, until you get better.

The most important thing is to not let anything or anyone tell you whether or not your any good. Just do the best you can and keep trying, you need self confidence.

Of course, if you just don't enjoy it in the first place, maybe playing guitar isn't for you.
So what? If you care what others say you could practically end your life right now, i've never cared. Everyone says I'm nuts shoving aside all my other electric guitar skills(wich I've been doing for about 10 years so it's quite something) just to learn flamenco, but that didn't stop and I'm glad I did it.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Well you gear has nothing to do with this. I have a ****ty ass guitar, its not even a brand name guitar, but I dont suck.

You might have just lacked practice...maybe you jumped into guitar without thinking?

I had a bit of the same problem, I sucked when I started, but I just practiced, and now I'm 100 times better than when I first started
I really enjoyed learning new stuff and such until some weeks ago...

God know what happened to me.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Chill out, and just play guitar because it's something that you like to do. If you're no longer interested it could just be that playing guitar isn't for you., I've been playing for a few years and I still suck too, but just praticing and you'll see improvement.
Quote by fila_93
To make it simple:

I don't enjoy play anymore. I've been playing for 7 months, everything I play sound like ****. My mother says I can't play anything and my sister says it sounds like ****.
Lately, I have been starting to believe that, cuz I play really bad in my opinion. My gear could you see on my sig, is isn't so good...

I tried the Fear Of The Dark solo, but I can't alternate pick so that destroyed me.
Then I was starting to work on alt picking but I didn't do any progress, so I got even worse self confidence.

My playing sounded like **** too, and if some family members give you **** for that, tell them to play, or just ignore it.

What I did was to use a lot of time unplugged learning alternative picking and such things, then learn a harder song. And of course practicing isn't always gonna sound good, but you're not practicing to enjoy anyone but you, now are you?
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
You always will go through rough spots, and you're just starting. You can't expect huge progress if you're just starting to alternate pick, its almost like totally relearning. Sit there and practice alternate picking with riffs you've already learned before you've tried alternate picking. Once you get over the beginning hump you'll be surprised how fast you can learn it. But you have to sit down with that guitar and ****ing play. And not just a little, but a lot, everyday.
if you wanna learn a solo, try She-Wolfs solo by Megadeth or Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers they're pretty easy solos that i learned quickly after i learned the basic technique

EDIT: Oh, and try playing Megadeth songs. They have great riffs. Iron Maiden has just power chords in verses, but Megadeth has great riffs which are mostly pretty easy after little training
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

Last edited by BornToRun at Mar 20, 2008,
Ok, this might sound as a really silly question but anyways, how am I gonna hold my pick when I alternate? I don't mean how I'm gonna hold it with my fingers, just the pick how it shoud be turned to the strings?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I used to have the same problem as you back when I started at age 15, I REALLY SUCKED. It took me a month just to be able to fret the strings on the neck properly, I hade no idea what scales or chords were, I just played open strings. A year after that I tried to join a band that was hot **** at the time and was rejected. I was discouraged and devastated and almost gave up music for good but for some reason I didn't.I kept on playing, playing, playing, playing, playing and playing. Now I'm in a band, taking names and kicking asses. You will too if you keep playing everyday.

Moral of story.....Don't give up.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Mar 20, 2008,
I've been playing for nearly six years and I still come across bumps in the road sometimes... and yea I'll get stuck on something and get frustrated with the song and with myself. But you need to stop and relax and just give it a break for a while then come back to the guitar with an open mind and start practicing again. You WILL get through the rough times if you approach them the right way and don't just give up all together.
I know mostly nothing about metal, but how about maybe looking into some DVD's where they teach you songs?

One DVD, that's maybe 5 songs, and keep working on those pieces. This way you'll both be able to hear what is being played, see what is being played, see how you should do to play it properly, and get tips. The Lick Library series generally seems quite decent, here's an advertisement for one of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BNr7tsE1lI

I don't know if that particular DVD is of appropriate skill level, but take a look at similar products, maybe you can find something you like? Thomann.de have a bunch of DVD's for sale, I have a Hendrix DVD I bought from them.

Alternate picking is something you'll just gonna have to learn if you want to be soloing. Practice with something that is simple for the left hand, such as a normal minor pentatonic box, and pick every second note up, every second note down. Keep working on it, you'll learn eventually. Don't push too fast, play at a speed where you can go without making any mistakes until you can do it without even thinking about it.

The important thing with whatever you practice, is that you should always do it right, even if that means you'll play one note every three seconds, it does not matter.

For solos, maybe try to get started with something a bit slower. For example Red Hot Chili Peppers have a bunch of solos that sound good and are rather slow, and I'd imagine that a lot of the ones from Stadium Arcadium would sound decent also to someone who plays metal.
First question: Why did you pick up a guitar?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
First question: Why did you pick up a guitar?

Cuz it seemed fun and sounded good, I've always liked those tricky soloes.

And I guess I wanted a new hobby aswell.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
For alternate picking you can to a simple excercise:
-----------------------------------------------------
---------7---------7-----------7----------7--------
-7-8-10--7-8-10--7-8-10-----7-8-10----------

ignore the spacing
Each time make sure that you end with an upstroke. Speed it up to a maximum each time making sure that you end with an upstroke. If you ended with an upstroke then you did everything before correctly. Now once you are comfortable try this:
------------------------------------------------------------------
---------7-9-----------7-9-----------7-9------------7-9-------
-7-8-10------7-8-10------7-8-10------7-8-10--------------
You should now end with a downstroke. Repeat the process speeding it up to a maximum. Then add 10 fret on the 5th string. The 7-9-10 on next. This will make alternate picking become second nature.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Then you have the urge and need to play guitar.

Bottom line, no matter what happens don't give up.

Play guitar when you want to, and only when you want to, otherwise it becomes a chore.

I know tons of guys that can shred like hell, but they will never go anywhere because they think they are better than the rest of the world, and because they don't have that natural...feel for music.

Take it slow man, don't just jump into the brootalz metal... check out some arch enemy melodic stuff... like... Marching on a Dead End Road, or Anthems, or Snowbound....

Snowbound was the first lead I learned and I felt so proud of myself that I basically forced myself to get better. Try slowing the music down, and go from there
Just take your time learning. If you're frustrated that you can't learn how to play or do a cool guitar technique. take a break. Let it sink in your brain of what you were trying to learn, then come back, picup the guitar, and try again.

There's no rush at all.
remember take YOUR TIME and don't listen to your mum when she says you can't play anything. You're not gona get good *snap* like that, takes time, and patience.
My mom tells me to turn the amp off when i practise.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
do you love music?

because when im playing guitar i get extremely happy just playing along with songs and bands i love.

if you are at 7 months and cant alternate pick, youre doing something wrong. consider either taking guitar more seriously, OR getting a couple lessons to get yourself on the right track.

i never wanted or needed lessons, but everyone is different. if you know in your heart that you love guitar, but you just cant seem to get some of the technique down, maybe you need some help!

dont any of your friends play? if I cant get a solo or fast lick down, I always ask a buddy to show me how he'd do it, or to advise me.

best of luck.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Yeah getting your friends to show you how to do certain songs helps. For example i could not learn how to play High & Dry by Radiohead until i saw how my friend was strumming it. I went home and practise and the next day i had the timing right
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Hang in there plus one if you like it. Anyone can play guitar if they just practice and more importantly take lessons. (And not the lessons that cost money...) There are good lessons here on UG, youtube and other sites. I agree as well that you should learn easier songs. Some songs that suck are fun to play on guitar. I play stuff I wouldn't listen to. Here is one for you - FUNKYTOWN. Learn FUNKYTOWN. Its a blast to play and your family will eat their words. Oh, and it's easy as heck too...
Quote by nvranka
do you love music?

because when im playing guitar i get extremely happy just playing along with songs and bands i love.

if you are at 7 months and cant alternate pick, youre doing something wrong. consider either taking guitar more seriously, OR getting a couple lessons to get yourself on the right track.

i never wanted or needed lessons, but everyone is different. if you know in your heart that you love guitar, but you just cant seem to get some of the technique down, maybe you need some help!

dont any of your friends play? if I cant get a solo or fast lick down, I always ask a buddy to show me how he'd do it, or to advise me.

best of luck.

that is horrible to say

"If you can't alternate pick after 7 months there's something wrong with you, take guitar more seriously"

I agree with everything else you said, but not that.... seriously the most depressing thing ever heard...
I got a friend who has played for like 2 months more than me, and he's pretty good. He's in Play Del Ingles at the moment though and gonna stay there for a week...

About the alternate picking, I'm asking again, how should the pich be turned to the strings? I hope you know what I mean.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by Brendan.Clace
that is horrible to say

"If you can't alternate pick after 7 months there's something wrong with you, take guitar more seriously"

I agree with everything else you said, but not that.... seriously the most depressing thing ever heard...

wtf i didnt say there was anything wrong with him, I said he was doing something wrong apparently...
I have three suggestions for you.

First, take lessons. Taking lessons gives you goals to aspire to and will get you to play more often and have more fun with it.

Second, try playing some easier stuff. You're not going to be able to play Metallica and Iron Maiden after only seven months. Trying is good, but don't put yourself down when you can't. Just keep on practicing, and eventually you'll be able to do it.

Finally, and most importantly, don't let your mom and your sister tell you that you suck. They sound like bitches, and you shouldn't let them make you feel bad about yourself.

PS: I couldn't alternate pick for a while either (about two months), but after only one lesson, I had it down. Having someone else explain it rather than learning it yourself really helps.
Quote by fila_93
I got a friend who has played for like 2 months more than me, and he's pretty good. He's in Play Del Ingles at the moment though and gonna stay there for a week...

About the alternate picking, I'm asking again, how should the pich be turned to the strings? I hope you know what I mean.

Your pick shouldbe horizontal to the string just like you would normaly pick. If you have trouble with your pick getting stuck then move it so that it is like this:
---------------
\
But only slightly. This is will make it slide to the tip and lower the getting stuck. As you progress try to make it more horizontal.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
Your pick shouldbe horizontal to the string just like you would normaly pick. If you have trouble with your pick getting stuck then move it so that it is like this:
---------------
\
But only slightly. This is will make it slide to the tip and lower the getting stuck. As you progress try to make it more horizontal.

Finally I know how to hold it.

I've always hold the pick like this: | , cuz yeah my pick is getting stuck when I hold it the correct way.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Yeah by the end it should be like this:
------------------------------------------
--
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by SlashYourFug
I have three suggestions for you.

First, take lessons. Taking lessons gives you goals to aspire to and will get you to play more often and have more fun with it.

Second, try playing some easier stuff. You're not going to be able to play Metallica and Iron Maiden after only seven months. Trying is good, but don't put yourself down when you can't. Just keep on practicing, and eventually you'll be able to do it.

Finally, and most importantly, don't let your mom and your sister tell you that you suck. They sound like bitches, and you shouldn't let them make you feel bad about yourself.

PS: I couldn't alternate pick for a while either (about two months), but after only one lesson, I had it down. Having someone else explain it rather than learning it yourself really helps.

are you nuts....metallica and iron maiden are PERFECT for 7 months...

heck you can play either after 2 months.

We arent talking solos, but all of the rhythms and most of the riffs are easy and sound great.

you need to understand that by limiting your playing by saying " i cant do this ive only played for 7 months" is the WORST thing you can do.

obviously, if you yourself get frustrated easily, then dont play something that makes you angry.

but ALWAYS play above your skill level. if its too fast, slow it down, and slowly work up the speed. dont just choose slower songs.
Hey is it a good idea to practise alt picking with minor pentatonic scale? Been doing that since yesterday and I'm making a little progress actually.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I almost gave up at around the 7-8 month mark too.

I'll say this: having better gear does help keep your spirits up. No, it won't make you play any better, but just your guitar looking nicer, just the amp having a slightly nicer tone, it'll give you more insentive to pick up and play even when you're awful.

Two years or so on, and I still can't play that well at all. In fact there are people who have been playing under a year who are better than me. Can't say I care; I'm happy anyway. My gear sounds how I want it to sound, I love how all my guitars look and feel, and that keeps me happy enough that even when I'm just playing simple, crap songs, I have fun, and people do complain less - playing bad on bad gear gets you more complaints than playing bad on good gear.

Yeah, it's shallow, and it's not a good long-term fix. Or maybe, playing guitar just isn't actually 'for you'. But I think it's worth still giving it a go; getting nicer gear, and sticking with it. You may never be a top guitar legend, hell, you may never veen get good enough to play on stage (though I find that hard to believe, as even I manage that), but it should be fun, and that's the most important thing.
Quote by bokuho
I almost gave up at around the 7-8 month mark too.

I'll say this: having better gear does help keep your spirits up. No, it won't make you play any better, but just your guitar looking nicer, just the amp having a slightly nicer tone, it'll give you more insentive to pick up and play even when you're awful.

Two years or so on, and I still can't play that well at all. In fact there are people who have been playing under a year who are better than me. Can't say I care; I'm happy anyway. My gear sounds how I want it to sound, I love how all my guitars look and feel, and that keeps me happy enough that even when I'm just playing simple, crap songs, I have fun, and people do complain less - playing bad on bad gear gets you more complaints than playing bad on good gear.

Yeah, it's shallow, and it's not a good long-term fix. Or maybe, playing guitar just isn't actually 'for you'. But I think it's worth still giving it a go; getting nicer gear, and sticking with it. You may never be a top guitar legend, hell, you may never veen get good enough to play on stage (though I find that hard to believe, as even I manage that), but it should be fun, and that's the most important thing.

About the gear, I actually ordered a Valveking 212 a week ago, next day I thought: "But what if I don't keep on playing? Then all my money would be gone for a thing I don't need anymore." So I unordered it. That's kinda a problem, because it's like 10 times funnier to play with a better tone. So maybe if I bought new amp it would probably be much more funnier but if I stop playing guitar I wouldn't need an amp for 500€. I'm in a band atm, we suck as we just started but it's fun, and my amp from a ****in Ibanez Starting kit is really not loud so I can't hear my guitar. That's why I would need a new amp.

Hell I got problems right now.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
To make it simple:

Epic failz lolz.

Jk bro.

You know heres how I personally like to think about it, if you're playing guitar for yourself, then this question doesn't need an answer, as it shouldnt've been asked.
You gotta love what you do.

But if you're playing to hear other peoples opinions and praises, or to be "cool" like the rocker kids at your school(if you are in school) who play green day and blink songs primarily, then your heart isn't in it and you should give it up for something you care for more.

Sure, hearing praise is great, but don't expect it bro, also, don't ask for opinions, peoples' answers are almost almost based on how they view you, not your playing, its a shame.

But hey I went through exactly what you're going through, and I got through it and now I'm a better guitar player having done so.

Truthfully I started out as one of those blink-kids, but I eventually saw the light and changed my act around, now I play for me, and that's what you gotta do, so ask yourself my friend. "Is my heart in it?"

Those are my 300 cents..or so. lol.

Also, your gear is at least better than a squier strat-pack my friend.
yeah I feel sorry for you man. Tell your mum and sis that I say they are dickwads. Anyway, try learning lessons off UG or youtube or something, learn some little excersizes that can help with your playing, watch some really inspirational guitar videos on youtube like michael angelo batio playing or go look at the "behind the music" thing for Metallica or Megadeth or something (I reckon they are always inspiring because it gives you a taste of the life in an awesome metal band and ****) Also, just be patient man, you haven't been playing long so just learn slowly and don't try to push yourself too much. Good luck dude and thumbs up to your musical tastes!

edit: oh yeah, and I agree very much with the last comment that the dude above me said about the strat pack
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
Last edited by metalface211 at Mar 22, 2008,
This should really help with your alternate picking watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s32hmkdrDw

Plus try a few easy beginner solos at first, don't try metallica and maiden ( i had the same problem the first solos i tried were the november rain outro and bat country..i pretty much failed horrribly at that time..but i quickly realised what i was doing wrong though) if you're losing your confidence, try something simple..like californication by RHCP..or Nirvana solos are pretty easy too..something like come as you are, smells like teen spirit, greenday solos are pretty easy, oasis have a couple of easy ones...live forever and such, check the beginner solo thread..its got good solos to start off with..you'll be jamming to metallica and maiden in no time, alternate picking would naturally once you starting playing a few solos decently
Don't pay no attention to what other people say. You have only been playing for a few months now and maybe you should take some lessons to improve your skills
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Page 1 of 2