well I decided to get a new guitar seeing as how I have a crappy used peavey that was originally bought at target as a "starter pack" haha. I was told by someone here that this guitar was a good buy, and after reading many reviews it seems like its the best bang for the buck right now...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

the thing is... while it seems like everything I need as a beginner as far as playability its not quite what I want looks wise. now I know looks is second priority so I'm just making this thread out of sheer hope. so my question is...

does anyone know of a cheap guitar that compares to this one as far as playbility that is also EITHER a cutaway? OR has a black and/or sunburst type of finish? doesn't have to be a cutaway AND different color, just one or the other. thanks in advance. -wiggz
yamaha acoustics are really nice for the price man. my cuz got a 270$ model it is played like a dream plus it had a really nice finish.
You won't find a cutaway guitar in the price range...at least one worth buying.

If you have to have a fancy finish, the 730s is your best bet.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
what makes the 730 100 dollars more than the 700? and no the finish isnt THAT important, not 100 dollars important neway...
^ The wood of the back and sides. the 700 is nato, the 730 is rosewood. they're both laminate though, so it doesn't make that much difference.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
The 730 from my experience sounds like a really good 700 $ plus guitar\

The 700 sounds like a really good 300 $ guitar
Damien Rice === Legend
If you like the sound, go for it. I would try the Silver Creek D-160. Same price, all solid wood
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG720S-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519168

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

so are these pretty much the exact same guitar except the 720 is more expensive because of the finish? the music shop here price matches net prices... and I actually found the 700S for $200 online, and the 720S for $270. so what makes it more expensive exactly?
the 730s is what you should be looking at...I dont think theres much difference between 700 and 720 other than finish but theres a big jump up once you try the 730..Although i have never played the 720
Damien Rice === Legend
^maybe in a few years lol... im tryin to stay under 250 here and that 730 is $350 :O . unless tha 100 dollars makes it drastically easier to play than a 700/720 i'll prob stay with the cheaper ones.

I think I'll be at the shops tommorow and hopefully will have a new guitar by sunday. Also my buddy tried my acoustic (he already has played for a number of years) and says its the hardest guitar he's ever tried haha.

EDIT
Just got back from the shop and tried a yamaha while I was there... not sure which one but it was 450 down from 900 on sale so it was prob a 730 haha. I never realized how shty my guitar really is...
Last edited by Wiggly at Mar 21, 2008,