Page 1 of 2
Does any body know how much money metal bands get paid?? i know it depends on popularity, but i guess i'll refer to the bands that are more underground....? anyone have an idea??
There are a lot of variables to consider. Popularity, how radiofriendly/mainstream your music is, independant or label, how good deal you can get with a label, how much music you sell, how popular are your gigs, how greedy you are etc.. lots of thing to take in consideration, so I think it would be hard to estimate.

I know that metallica made something 42 million dollars in 1998, if that is anything to compare to (this was on everything; cds, vinyls, gigs, merch etc).
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Metallica were still insanely popular in 1998, so comparing underground bands to them is like comparing the LLN's combined profits to those of Britney Spears.

To make another BM reference, Ihsahn from Emperor stated once that he was making enough money after the release of In the Nightside Eclipse (their debut album) to make a comfortable living, although somehow I find that doubtful.
i cant give you an exact number
but how hard working a band is makes a very big difference
this means things like how often you tour, write music, record
bands that dont do too much of that will need to find other ways of making money.
even then the band needs the fanbase to support a tour.
and how underground are we talking here?
like, local bands.
or a band thats, say, signed to metalblade or something
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by Nightstrider
Metallica were still insanely popular in 1998, so comparing underground bands to them is like comparing the LLN's combined profits to those of Britney Spears.

To make another BM reference, Ihsahn from Emperor stated once that he was making enough money after the release of In the Nightside Eclipse (their debut album) to make a comfortable living, although somehow I find that doubtful.

He might be combining that with income from his job. I believe he was a music teacher at the time
More underground bands make a tiny percentage from album sales (which has to be split between all members) and make most of their money from normal jobs and gigging.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Ht666
What about bands like Evile, Exodus, Necrophagist, Nile?

None are particularly underground, so they'd all definitely be making enough to live quite well off of. Evile would be making less because they're newer, but Exodus, Nile, and likely Necrophagist are all making truckloads by now.
My local venue paid Kreator $5000 for the Kreator/Napalm Death tour. Thats about average in this country for that band. Bands also make a pretty small cut on album sales but make a good cut on merch.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

I know that Vital Remains wanted 1300 euros for a gig while touring! This info is 100% true! A friend of mine wanted to oraganise the gig but well hes a pussy and didnt have the guts to do it! Was to afraid that he wouldnt make profit! That was the headliners and all other bands together!
Quote by Nightstrider
but Exodus, Nile, and likely Necrophagist are all making truckloads by now.

I highly doubt that. They may be making money to live off of, but I'd hardly imagine they're making "truckloads" of money.
If you can say that Evile, Nile, and Necrophagist make truckloads, you are an idiot.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Maybe an exaggeration, but they're certainly not bad off. Behemoth and Nile are the two most acessible and well-known modern death metal bands, both have put out many records, hell, both are touring Ozzfest. They're certainly not working other jobs, and they sure as hell have some spending money.

Necrophagist aren't exactly unknown either. Sure, they're not making truckloads, but considering the amount of tours they're on, and they amount of recognition they get (I've even heard kids in my podunk town talk about them), I doubt they're struggling.

As for Evile, they've recieved an extensive amount of promotion from their record label, who have done just about everything in their power to tout them as the "modern thrash revival" blah blah blah. Like I said, they're a new act, and won't be making exorbitant amounts now, but considering their hype, the tours they're on and so on, I doubt they're working at Burger King.
Define "truckload" in monetary value please.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Nightstrider
None are particularly underground, so they'd all definitely be making enough to live quite well off of. Evile would be making less because they're newer, but Exodus, Nile, and likely Necrophagist are all making truckloads by now.

I doubt They're making truckloads... but they may live comfortably
Quote by VampireGoldfish

10 dollar bills in the back of a Tonka truck.
Quote by VampireGoldfish

Considering he admitted he was exaggerating, I don't see why he needs to answer that.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Considering he admitted he was exaggerating, I don't see why he needs to answer that.

Yes, he said he was exaggerating.

Thats why I asked him to please explain his actual thought process and make it clear for me.

See where I'm coming from?

Mmmm. Logic.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Asking him to explain a thought process he admitted was flawed? Thats like saying "Well, admittedly you've made your argument more realistic and presentable, but I want to know how you came up with that really dumb observation beforehand".
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Take this into consideration:

Nergal said that despite the fact that he writes, records, produces, manages the touring, manages Behemoth's banking stuff, books the shows, and is is basically doing things that 6 other people do and usually get paid for instead of the band.
In this case, the band gets to keep more of it's money, and Nergal says he still lives in an average apartment on an average side of his hometown.

So what does this tell us about most metal band's profits, hmmm?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Exactly my point.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Great.

So....

WHO WANTS COOKIES?!?!?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Yeah I'm almost positive most of these bands (about 90 percent), barely make anything, have to work day jobs, and probably will never earn much money unless they strip their sound and go totally mainstream.
Quote by rizo299
"To: North Korea

Hey Kim DONG Il. Got nukes yet? DIDN'T THINK SO.

Here's some help with getting one built.

GOATSE.CX

Your pal Obama"

Quote by unfathomable_bo
Doesn't Karl Sanders have a sarcophagus in his living room?

Yeah, but he couldn't maintain that kind of spending. Instead of buying a car... he went off on a slightly obtuse angle...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Wasn't it Dani Filth who had a skeleton buried in his floor or something....?
Wouldn't it be awesome if it was from the sarcophagus that Karl bought?

Friend: Dude, have you ever even opened that thing?
Karl: ....No...Never saw a reason to
Friend: Well, check it out
Karl: Pfft, fine, but I don't se-*opens*........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
haha nice and maybe nergal's smart and even though he makes some good living money he doesnt chose to be a retard and start spending s hitload of getting a big house... and choses to live modestly
Nergal is a very intelligent man.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by shenanigans
Yeah I'm almost positive most of these bands (about 90 percent), barely make anything, have to work day jobs, and probably will never earn much money unless they strip their sound and go totally mainstream.

You would be quite wrong.
Quote by Magero

This has completed six years of history and two years of Latin at Gdańsk University, and is qualified to be a museum curator.

Wikipedia sure is useful
well i know five star prison cell around here got something like 6 grand AUS for a set
I am me. Live with it.
On the Amon Amarth DVD Johnan says that he only started making enough money to live purely from the band was after their 5th album...
nyrkki
Founder of UG's COB Hatecrew
I just watched an Evile interview on YouTube and they said they all of them have day jobs.
Quote by webbtje
Wikipedia sure is useful

Hell yeah dude.
Wiki never lies

And pretty much any money bands make is from touring and merch. I know that the guys from Psycroptic have day jobs...although, they just got put on the Summer Slaughter tour, so they might get the break they deserve now.
I htink Necrophagist all have jobs. There is less money in DM than you think. Nile don't but I doubt they earn above average wage. Exodus obviously would be a bit better off. I can't comment on Evile, but again if they dont have jobs I would have thought they are not earning very much to live on. Behemoth, prolly about the same as Nile now.

Cannibal Corpse I thinkk are the highest earning DM band, and they said they each make around 30,000 $ a year each, which is still only average wage in the sates? (i'm not sure, I'm english).
Page 1 of 2