Yesterday night we played our first show (it was also the first real gig for me) in a battle of the bands contest. Despite the sound was crappy and the monitoring wasn't existent, i ****ed up . All the technical stuff is just no excuse for me, although my singing was quite good (even i think my vocals were quite good), i played pure ****.

i hit like 1/4 of the tones wrong, others told me i wasn't even audible on the FOH sound, just vocals and drums were recognizeable, but this is no ****ing excuse for me. i just ****ed up, but music is something really important for me. i'm practicing for this moment since like 2 years and i think i'm really good at what i'm doing but this time i just ****ed up and i cant tell myself "this was just one time, you will rock out, you can do it" i just feel like a damn looser. 2 years of training for this moment, all the hard work, writing songs (i wrote the whole music and the vast amount of vocals for the gig's song material) and stuff and then i ****ed up.

i just feel bad, and had the urge to tell someone.
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
haha ****, no said your gonna get it perfect the first time. Just take this first time as a learning experience, and now just learn from your mistakes and move on .
Quote by Jayez
haha ****, no said your gonna get it perfect the first time. Just take this first time as a learning experience, and now just learn from your mistakes and move on .

Exactly. There's no such thing as a perfect show.
Hey, at least you've had a show. 4/5 years for me, and still no show
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
dude just learn from it. as its already happend dont dwell on it. just think, "they next show i now know what to do"
that happend to me just not as bad i messed up on a few parts it kills. it really sux
first times always suck
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
I know it seems bad but it really isn't. Everyone screws up now and then, especialy on the first gig, put it down to experience, get over it and get on with it.
The only surefire way to not **** up is to not perform.

Otherwise, it's bound to happen. You'll learn from it.
if you get 99.9999 percent of notes right, youre still gonna remember those 3 you ****ed up on, look at it as the glass being half full, first gig i played i ****ed up a lot, i didnt care, i just kept going, just think that none of the people in the audience are doing it so they cant say **** about you

after a while the stage feels naturalm, and mistakes become truly accidental, not just a result of you not thinking, and then people barely notice them
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Hey man we all make mistakes. It was your first time out, no one going to remember you. Just know WHY it happened and learn from it. And most importantly, when you do make a mistake live, roll with it like nothing happened. Most of the people in the audience aren't musicians so they wouldn't know anyway. Just my experience.
every single guitarist has ****ed up, and will continue to do it live. Atleast you got your first out of the way, just listen to Dragonforce play live and that should boost your confidence.
hey my first show was awful too an im still awaiting the second...****ting myself when it comes
I played for the first time in front of a larger audience last week (400+) and when we started playing I noticed my amp was real low, so you could barely hear me! Luckily I did not not have a crucial part in the song, because you wouldn't have been able to hear me. I guess I was lucky that I didnt have a main role, because if you could have heard me, I would have screwed up big time, its fking intimidating.

We are playing again in two weeks or so, and im playing the main part, so im really anxious
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by SuperBlob
Hey, at least you've had a show. 4/5 years for me, and still no show

same except i played a school thing once which was a cover of patience by GnR but that doesn't really count
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

2 years really is a very short time, you can't expect to hit every note perfect...

Don't worry about it you will improve with time, just keep goin with the flow
the more you try and perform before others, the less you **** up. I've only played for a little under a year (though, very much ) and the first time I performed for someone it was a total **** up. Next time too, but then I got confident with my playing and it got pretty good. A few mistakes, but nothing major.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Don't worry too much about it, just use it as a learning experience.
Off all the mistakes you make, the audience probably notices only less than a quarter; the exception being if you're playing covers.

Personally I LIKE to make mistakes, it inspires me to practice more and concentrate a little harder on whatever aspect of my playing I screwed up. I think over the years I've played in the region of 300 (very approx.) gigs and I can only think of maybe half a dozen where I didn't make any mistakes.

Never try to be perfect; it just won't happen.
The one good thing about this is that next time you have a show, you'll be more use to the pressure and not make as many mistakes. It takes a while to be able to use that nervous energy to be totally in the moment.

On the other hand, i can't really relate... My first gig was completely improv, I had no clue at all what was going to be played, a jam sort of thing. That meant no wrong notes. I didn't have a mic, so no one could really hear me anyways, but it was a great confidence booster.
I have nothing witty to say here at the moment

Expect a change soon
Well I would've played this year's BotB, but our band wasn't nearly as put together as it should've been. Our friend's band though, a psychobill/rockabilly/surf band called The Sci-Fi's, got 3rd despite the fact that the guitarist (our friend, though the drummer is cool, too) broke his pick in like the first song and couldn't figure out until like the last song why he couldn't pick very fast.

The moral, though: **** ups happen. Just pretend not to notice them. I barely noticed when my friend ****ed up, but that's because we're friends and 1) I know his style, 2) I didn't really know the songs that well, and 3) I'm a guitarist, too, but even then I barely noticed. Don't be so hard on yourself. It was fun otherwise, right?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
You're going to screw up, everyone does, you just have to make sure the two following things happen:

1. You don't screw up big time (ie, forgetting an interlude that the rest of the band plays)
2. WHen you screw up, you recover and keep playing. Please don't just stop. You can stop for a moment just to figure out what's going on, but don't give up on the song.
Yeah, as has been said, don't sweat it. Everyone makes mistakes every single show, and everyone even botches up a gig from time to time. It builds character, as they say.... meaning, it keeps you humble. The last thing you want to become is the guitar player with 'lead singers' disease.' Guitarists are prone to it - especially those who play lead.

Crappy monitor mix, etc. - get used to it. It's rare to not have to worry about stuff like that until you get into higher end venues and festivals where they hire real professionals to run the stuff. And even then, there are no guarantees.

Nobody could hear your guitar FOH... maybe the soundman was noticing that you were really botching stuff on the guitar but the vocals were fine. He put the vocals up and cut the guitar back enough that your mistakes were virtually unnoticed by the audience! Send him (or her... ) an Easter card!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.