Page 1 of 2
Wel, new guitar, as paycheck has totalled again. Looking for a guitar that handles well overdriven sounds, harsh distortion, but with some good cleans for playing in church.

It's between the Gibson SG Special and the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy GX

Here's the specs

Epiphone Les Paul -

* Highly Figured Quilt Maple Top
* Solid Mahogany bound body
* 24 Jumbo Frets
* Hard Maple SpeedTaper D Profile, satin finish set neck
* Ebony Fingerboard
* Eye Catching Pearl Knob
* Strap-Locks
* Graphite Nut
* LockTone locking tunomatic/stopbar
* Grover machine heads
* Deep, rich black cherry finish
* Made in USA Pickups
* Gibson Dirty Fingers
* Coil-Tapping pickups
* Unique Blade Inlay Pattern
* Gold hardware
* Bound Fingerboard

Gibson SG Special -

* Body Species: Mahogany
* Neck - Species: Mahogany, Profile: Rounded, Neck Joint Location: 19
* Fingerboard - Species: Rosewood, Scale Length: 24 3/4", Number of Frets: 22, Nut Width: 1.695", Inlays: Dot
* Hardware - Plating Finish: Chrome, Tailpiece: Stopbar, Bridge: Tune-o-matic, Knobs: Black top hat with silver insert, Tuners: Green Key
* Electronics - Neck Pickups: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker, Bridge Pickups: 490T Alnico magnet humbucker, Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch
* Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
totally different guitars. Go play em and see if u want an SG or LP. Then we can talk about which kind of LP or SG u need.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
okay easy problem right here

those sgs are ****
they are ment to be worn and stuff, but it plays like garbage, cuts your hand up on teh frets and just plain suck all together

that epiphone though, is amazing, especially wiht the 24 frets, so much better than the sg [and gibsons recently have usually been way worse than epis]
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Why not get the G-400 Prophecy?

+1
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
So a Epiphone Prophecy. NO EMGs... not one for Active electronics. So it's either the Epiphone Les Paul or SG. (Prophecy GX version that is)

Ill be playing Metalcore, hard rock, progressive rock, post hardcore etc on ths guitar, think of a mix of Every Time I Die and The Fall Of troy.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by envoykrawkwar7

those sgs are ****
they are ment to be worn and stuff, but it plays like garbage, cuts your hand up on teh frets and just plain suck all together

that epiphone though, is amazing, especially wiht the 24 frets, so much better than the sg [and gibsons recently have usually been way worse than epis]

i'd like to see anyone reach 24th fret on that LP

its supposed to be absolutely facemelting though

and the neck pup will do nice cleans i'd imagine
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by anarchy_skater
So a Epiphone Prophecy. NO EMGs... not one for Active electronics. So it's either the Epiphone Les Paul or SG. (Prophecy GX version that is)

Ill be playing Metalcore, hard rock, progressive rock, post hardcore etc on ths guitar, think of a mix of Every Time I Die and The Fall Of troy.

the les paul definatley

seeing as how we play similar music styles, i really think youll want it

in fact i just bought an epiphone les paul custom for that reason, the tone they have [lps in general] is perfect for those

epi sgs have allways been and probably always will be, the same shi-ite that gibson low levels are, and thats not what you want [problems as much as my epi special 2]

so basically in summary
GET THE LES PAUL
if you need proof as to how aweosme they are
[bullet fo rmy valentine's, scream aim fire,, cd was recorded all on an epi prophecy lp]
Quote by metul kult

btw you could look at some other brands than Epiphone/Gibson and stay with the general idea. ESP/LTD make the vipers. Definately worth a look for you.
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

those sgs are ****

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
the les paul definatley

in fact i just bought an epiphone les paul custom for that reason, the tone they have [lps in general] is perfect for those

epi sgs have allways been and probably always will be, the same shi-ite that gibson low levels are, and thats not what you want [problems as much as my epi special 2]

so basically in summary
GET THE LES PAUL
[bullet fo rmy valentine's, scream aim fire,, cd was recorded all on an epi prophecy lp]

Comeing from someone with 11months experince of playing guitar.........
Last edited by strings-N-stuff at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
the les paul definatley

so basically in summary
GET THE LES PAUL

Yous ay that, I'd never classify ETID and FOT in the same category as BFMV...That reaosn is something to make me not decide. BUt i'll get it anyways. It's only like, 2 months wages.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by strings-N-stuff

yeah
11 months of 7-10 hours a day of insane practice and learning
so the equivalent of about 2-3 yearsish of a normal player

and i have played all of these guitars [im at guitar center like every other day, ive played every single freaking guitar theyve really got]

Yous ay that, I'd never classify ETID and FOT in the same category as BFMV...That reaosn is something to make me not decide. BUt i'll get it anyways. It's only like, 2 months wages.

well as much as you wouldnt, they still are, lyrics dont make the music, its the players and the music itself, and the 3 are of the current metalcore generation of bands

2 months?
damn, that kinda sucks
Quote by metul kult

The Epi has a much darker tone than the Gibson (or alternatively, the Gibson has a much brighter tone, whichever way you prefer). SGs and LPs also play drastically differently, and the Gibson SG is made for all-round rock while the Epi Prophecy series is made for metal/very hard rock.

Comparing them is pretty stupid really. Neither is better than the other, they're both simply very different.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
the les paul definatley

And just where did you get this idea?
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Ha, I hadn't even noticed that before. Serves me right for not reading the full thread before posting.

Quote by envoykrawkwar7

GET THE LES PAUL
The prophecy series wasn't even being produced when they recorded that album, let alone being sold for use.

Though if it matters to anyone, My Chemical Romance use Epiphone guitars a lot. They say the darker tone they have over Gibson's LPs is better for their music. MCR are huge fans of Epiphone.

... Yeah, so buy the ****ing Gibson.
Yeah...

That's the problem. I mean, I'm like, 14. It's probably better to get the SG if the Les Paul has a metal/very hard rock tone. I mean, I don't intend to go blasting out someNecrophagist or Slayer in Church. I might play the Metalcore stuff once ina while, but it'l be church play every odd week or so. The SG seems more likely choice right now...
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by anarchy_skater
Yeah...

That's the problem. I mean, I'm like, 14. It's probably better to get the SG if the Les Paul has a metal/very hard rock tone. I mean, I don't intend to go blasting out someNecrophagist or Slayer in Church. I might play the Metalcore stuff once ina while, but it'l be church play every odd week or so. The SG seems more likely choice right now...

Nothing wrong with SG's at all
i was gonna post the exact same question lol
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by bokuho
MCR are huge fans of Epiphone.

... Yeah, so buy the ****ing Gibson.

That totally cracked me up, thank you sir.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by strings-N-stuff

Coming from someone who can't spell correctly and has a Marshall MG, shut the **** up.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
yeah

and i have played all of these guitars [im at guitar center like every other day, ive played every single freaking guitar theyve really got]

well as much as you wouldnt, they still are, lyrics dont make the music, its the players and the music itself, and the 3 are of the current metalcore generation of bands

2 months?
damn, that kinda sucks

The Fall of Troy aren't Metalcore...

Post-Hardcore/Progressive Rock. It isn't Metalcore. I'm sure lots of others see BFMV and ETID as very different bands. And anyways, Youv'e really shot yourself in teh foot about the whole BFMV thingy
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by anarchy_skater

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Custom-GX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515619

buy that.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

those sgs are ****

Uh, no... Gibson's quality control is great when your paying thousands, but the lower end models, consistency is not so well.

Honestly, if it was out of those two, i'd get the Epiphone Les Paul. It's a higher end model of Epiphone, so it was made better than the lower end Epiphone models. The Gibson Special Faded SG, you're really just paying for the brand name "Gibson" smacked on the headstock. It's their lower end models, so all they're doing is slapping it together and putting it off, but hey, sometimes you get a good one, so keep your eyes open.
Get the Prophecy SG. Better fret access and in my opinion, feels better and looks cooler.

Just my 2c.

I'm looking to buy the SG once it comes out.
Have you played that Faded SG before? In my opinion, it's crap. You can find something better for the price.
Yeah I've played it, loved it. It's easy to go mad with too, as in, have quite high up, jump and twist like a bitch onstage and still sound demonic, and if you're asking how I know this, It's because I've borrowed one for a talent contest.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Yet another useless thread where the threadstarter is asking a question on which the answer will be based entirely upon preference.

TS, you need to find out whether you prefer a Les Paul or SG. Just because they're both Gibson doesn't really mean they're similar. They feel entirely different from one another. Go and try them both out.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
STFU.

Joke, thanks anyways
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by anarchy_skater
STFU.

Joke, thanks anyways

Don't get all defensive. What I said was fact dude.

Neither an SG or LP is better, its whatever YOU prefer.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by J rock
Nothing wrong with SG's at all

if I had to name anything thats 'wrong' with SGs, itd be that its hard to get a clean sound with lots of low end out of it. Its a bright rock guitar. The devil horns should tell you that: it screams 'in your face'
Gear
Marshall jcm900
LTD Viper 400>Any Epiphone
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by CarbonDeath
LTD Viper 400>Any Epiphone

that is probably the only esp i like, but that wouldnt fit his style
edit: nvm that would be perfect for his style. get something with EMG's if you are going to be playing metal and stuff like that
Last edited by ironman1478 at Mar 21, 2008,
Les paul for sure,
my friend was being an Idiot and wants to get a used gibson faded SG over the SG prophecy, (When he could easily sell the EMG's and get duncans/dirty fingers)

Just because it says gibson, doesn't necessarily mean it's better than the epiphone.
I don't even shred
Les Paul.

Such a nice guitar...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
yeah

Man..I'm gonna tell you right now that you do not have the experience of a normal player of 2-3 years. Guaranteed. I don't care how much you practice.
Be cool.
^+10
you could practice for like 23 hourse a day if you want, but after a point it is ust too much and you dont learn or get better anymore after like 5 hours+
Page 1 of 2