I've been looking to get a new guitar lately and have had my eye on the schecter c-1 hellraisers. I've always loved the sound of the EMG 81/85 combo and was wondering how big of a difference the EMG 81tw/89 combo is from the 81/85.

From what I've read on the EMG website they are basically better versions of the 81/85 because they have the push/pull pot. Is there sound the same besides that?

Thanks for the help in advance!
They sound the same, unless you tap them.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
yeah they sound the same.
i love the new hellraisers, the black cherry finish is quite good looking.
and they play amazingly
wish i had the money for one
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
So they sound the same even though they are "tapable"?

Right. When they're set to humbucker (pushed) they sound the same. When you pull the knobs they become tapped and supposedly sound like single coil pickups.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
Right. When they're set to humbucker (pushed) they sound the same. When you pull the knobs they become tapped and supposedly sound like single coil pickups.

ruh roh
Quote by ManInAClownSuit

Actually, they basically ARE single coil pickups when tapped. Do you even understand what coil tapping is?

EDIT: And I didn't know they came out with that 81tw. That's awesome.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
yea I think it showcased at NAMM this year, could be wrong though.
Love my hellraiser pre tapped though, gonna have to get a new one, yes i have GAS(gear acquisition syndrome)
Quote by mafropetee
Actually, they basically ARE single coil pickups when tapped. Do you even understand what coil tapping is?

Yeah, my point was don't expect it to sound like a strat. It's not gonna sound as bright and generally single-coil-ish as if you were to put actual single coils on it.
Quote by mrvile

yea the hellraisers are great guitars, i love mine. the output and gain the 81 put's out is amazing, it's almost effortless to pull pinch harmonics out of them. the quilted blackcherry looks really good too. imo they're probably one of the best metal guitars out there for under 1000 dollars. i just got an LTD KH-602 the other day and it has no problems hanging right with it (minus the floyd rose) it's a solid and respectectable guitar, i'd recommend it..just my .02 though