American P-Bass, chrome red, rosewood. (This is not the new, 08 version btw).

For a beginner on bass, but played guitar for one and a half years.

I was deciding between a Mark Hoppus, and a Highway One, and the bass in question is £675, with the Highway One being £499 (Hoppus at £459). For the extra amount, it seemed better to get the bass made of 'better quality parts' than the Highway One.

Have I made the right decision?
do you like it??? thats all that matters.
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
Yes.

Do NOT get the MH. It's close to the T-Bird in lack of quality-for-price. If you can't get the MIA P, go with the H1. You'll be happy.
Quote by Crashman77
do you like it??? thats all that matters.

So it is just looks that count? If I saw a nice bass for £40, but the sound quality was poor, and the company was now where to be seen, I should get it?
Quote by .Anfield
So it is just looks that count? If I saw a nice bass for £40, but the sound quality was poor, and the company was now where to be seen, I should get it?

If it had good tone and looked alright and you liked it then yes. And its not all looks, for me its tone and playability.
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
Would it be best to get the Schaller strap locks or some Jim Dunlop ones? I've heard that the Schaller ones are fitted on the new MIA's, but is there any difference?
You really shouldn't need to replace the strap locks. I haven't heard of problems with them on MIA Fenders.
the MIA P is most defintely better than the HW1, which is defintely better than the MH. if you can afford it, the MIA's are the best of Fender's production models.
as far as the strap locks, thats a personal preference. the Dunlops release by pushing a button, on the lock. the Schallers release by pulling the button. i chose Schallers for my HW1 jazz. my reasoning was, i am far less likely to release the locks,
accidentally. but many bass players choose the Dunlop's.
You don't have to replace the strap locks, but you can if you want. I got the Dunlop ones and they've held up to me swinging my bass around a bit.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
If you like it you like it. Personaly i the the hopus signature is THE WORSE fender money can buy.

Heck i would take any squier (or any other cheap brand) over a MH one anytime of day.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Last edited by Mescalino at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by t3hrav3n
You don't have to replace the strap locks, but you can if you want. I got the Dunlop ones and they've held up to me swinging my bass around a bit.

+1 for the Dunlop straplocks. I put them on all my basses, and usually use the Dual Design ones... so I could put a strap without the lock in case of emergencies.

Just to echo what pretty much everyone said... you can't go wrong with an American Fender. Since you're a "beginner" you may find your tastes changing. But still, you're pretty lucky to be starting on a good quality instrument.