Well after braking one of my super duper nails for like the 5th time, I've come wondering if theres anything I can use besides that clear glossy nail polish to strengthen my nails (girls WILL notice if I use that. I can explain the length, the shinyness is a lil much).

Like diet or something? It hurts
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
I take it you fingerpick? well, so do i, i've changed my style similar somewhat to Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler, I pick with the bare edge of the thumb, not the nail, nails will break and break, i know the feeling, if thats any use i dont know,

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
I've heard extra calcium helps strengthen nails as well as bones.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
soak your fingernails in raw eggs?

but seriously...nails are made of keratin, which is, in essence, protein. So try to add some protein to your diet? Idk, i can honestly say i've never added protein to my diet for the express use of growing stronger nails, but it might be worth a try...
Krazy Glue. Put a dab of that on that nail once you've got it the length / shape you want, and it'll be hard as a rock. Worked for me anyway.

EDIT : By "Put a dab", I meant evenly coat the nail, btw.
Last edited by bucket bot at Mar 20, 2008,
I dip mine into battery acid regularly.

Really there's no magic tricks, but keeping good care of them by buffing, polishing etc.
will help them to stay in one piece.

I've never had a nail break on me.
My guitar teacher swears by fake acrylic nails He must trim them down because they're not that long and he only puts them on his middle and ring finger nails for hybrid picking. I gotta admit, they look pretty decent as crazy as it sounds, and they're really strong too.
Quote by mooredge
My guitar teacher swears by fake acrylic nails He must trim them down because they're not that long and he only puts them on his middle and ring finger nails for hybrid picking. I gotta admit, they look pretty decent as crazy as it sounds, and they're really strong too.

One of my previous teachers did something similar, only he made his own out of cut up ping pong balls. Apparently they have a perfect curve for one's nail.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']I dip mine into battery acid regularly.

LOL. This made my night. Thanks.
I happened to me when just getting back into playing with my fingers, but for some reason it doesn't happen to me anymore. I think you should go with the protein thing, fingerpicks are a big no for me.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club