One of my biggest pet peeves is people who post a topic that has already been posted a bazillion times so I'm sorry if this has been done - searched and didnt find anything to answer my question.

I'm looking for an overdrive that is well suited for metal. I have a DigiTech Death Metal distortion and I love it but the gain that it puts out is too extreme for your standard run of the mill metal... also when I first purchased it I was playing through a peavey solid state combo and since I have switched over to a tube stack and it sound really fake and almost computer generated.

My current rig is an Epi G-400 with stock pickups (dont suggest any pickup changes or anything because I love these stock pickups!) and an Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP (loaded with Electro-Harmonix tubes) through one or two Ashdown cabs, depending on the setup I am running (I often run the Ashdown into one cab and a Fender Bassman 50 into the other cab when I'm playing blues and jazz/funk). If you arent familiar with the Ashdown its really geared toward blues and classic rock.

Any suggestions would be great.
alrite well if you can already get a classic rock gain or hard rock gain, just get it set like that. then get a bad monkey (this is what i use) and give it added juice w/ the level and adjust the high and low knobs to ur liking. and i usually leave the gain at 12 or 1 o'clock. but what YOU should do is adjust it till u get the amount of saturation you're going for.

BUT, i WILL tell you that those stock pups won't be doin you too great for metal. now that you're on a tube amp your pups will make more of a difference. so if you wanna be able to play just about ANY genre i'd say sometime soon (after gettin ur OD of couse) upgrade ur pups to seymour duncan jazz in the neck and bridge of whatever is most suggested (tho i suggest the JB b/c it's the sex).

really tho, you dont know how mediocre the stock pups are until AFTER you change em out!!

hope i helped bro!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I've had this amp for a little over two years and the DigiTech worked fine for me but now I'm getting into completely different stuff and I've noticed how much I'm starting to dislike the Death Metal. I mean it still works fine for my C standard and B standard stuff that I play but I've just noticed how fake it sounds since I've gone to the opposite end of the spectrum of genres and have now returned. So the stock pups are staying in because I love them.

But thanks for the advice on the bad monkey.
i feel ya. i have the death metal and ur rite, thru an all tube amp, it sounds extremely FAKE. but eventually you WILL hear the dullness of the stock pups. well dullness is kinda bad term.
but those stock pups are muddier than you think. it's like havin a stock cd player in a honda or somethin....once you get somethin like a pioneer installed and you hear all the different EQ bands accentuated much nicer, you realize that the stock one was worse than you thought lol.

but of course stock, they sound better than a lotta mid range guitars!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
bad monkey all the way. as long as u have an already mid gain-high gain amp.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer