I've just recently started up running over the past month and a half, and am looking for a little guidance, I am extremely flat footed and its starting to get to me, lately i've been running further and its hurting my shins to the point that I almost collapse afterward. I need to know suggestions for good running shows, most bang for buck, I have a very very tight budget, so if anyone could link me to a good shoe I would appreciate it. One more thing, what are some good tips you have for running longer distances and keeping stamina, thanks
As in, gobias a cup of coffee
Quote by SilentDeftone
Swim instead, or run in a pool.

-SD

+1 for the swim..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
i say asics i run x-country and track and the are the best shoes by far and depends on where u live for the store i say most likely sports authority or in minnesota TC running or Gear west
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
asics r great but expensive i got nike runners but prob guna get asics when track starts
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
not sure where you are from, but near where i live there is this place called fleet feet or something like that. you go in there, and it's pretty much like getting fitted for a tux. they take fifteen billion measurements on your foot and make you a shoe. it's a bit expensive, but it's good for your feet. also try to work on your form. practice slowly going heel to toe, and then speed it up.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
could be the shoes that are the problem.

but another problem runners look over are shin splints.

theyre horrible pains you get when the surface you are running on are too hard (asphalt, cement, etc.), and your shins wear after a while.

get new shoes and try running on a dirt track.

or swimming was a good idea too.
- Breath very very heavily to reduce side aches
- Run with as long of stride as possible
- Hit with you heel first and then roll to toe (should help with your pain)
- Arms pumping in straight lines with hands relaxed DO NOT PUMP ACROSS CHEST!!!
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Get asics or new balance.. those are the best running shoes. Just start with short distances and go easy on yourself. Running is something anyone can do if they just take it slow.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I don't run; but my heels and ankles are always killing me; these help a little bit.

Dr. Scholl's footpad thingies.

Hope that helps; every time I buy a new pair of shoes I always put them in; they last a pretty good while; but I dunno how long they hold up to running though.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Lol, just got back from a 5 mile run and now reading this! Anyway I started running about a year ago to forge my new self (which I am still working all the time) on so I can ask this girl out that is coming to my school next semester (I used to be a skinny ass computer nerd). Early on, I had problems with my shins and knees hurting as well, overtime, it has seemed to go away, and I never rememebered I had that problem until I read this. I had ****ass shoes first and then I got some Mizunos and have had those for a year, they were pretty good. Got some new Ascics (however you spell them) about 3 weeks ago, and have been running with them about 10 times or so now, really good shoes so far.

I taught myself how to run properly (don't try to make a stupid comment), no trainer or anything like that, so I can only tell you what I have learned myself. For longer distances, pace yourself, don't start really fast, when I run 3 miles for example, my last mile is the fastest. Also if you want to be able to increase your stamina capacity quick, don't ever walk while running, unless you have to. If you ever get tired, just jog really slowly, this will help you get back to where you can run good, but won't screw your heartrate up.

Those are just two tips that I found myself and thought that you might not find somewhere else, as far as everything else goes (proper stepping, breatheing, etc) I'm sure you can find plenty of articles or something on the internet, some people treat running like an art and want to perfect their technique lol.
I use asics and I basically have the equivalent to fallen arches. They work well, but I still get some pain every now and then...really just depends on the effort being put forth.

For a more efficient solution, go to a podiatrist and get orthotics. They are basically like those insole things like Dr. Scholls, but last for a few years with extensive use. The reason for this is that it is plaster and not gel.

Seriously, podiatrist + orthotics = less pain, better form
And if you have good health insurance, and have met your deductible/copay, then you're set.

It's roughly $250 for a pair, but again, they last years.

*And to the guy who suggested form tips...
-striding longer =/= better...overstriding is one of the worst habits to start
shins hurt? like right along the bones? cause thats called shin splints and has nothing to do with your shoes

shin splits happen when you build the calf muscle more quickly than the muscle on the front of your shins (because muscles work in pairs)

there are a couple of exercises that you can do to strenthen the muscle in the front that helps to prevent shin splints (if you already have them, i think you just have to take some time off of running)

1) stand on a stair/ledge with heel hanging off the back. push your self up onto your toes, then come back down and repeat.

2) lay a towel on the floor under your foot. take off your shoes/socks and work then towel towards you only using your toes.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Most of the people in here have said some pretty good suggestions.

On the shin splints though, it could also be that the muscles around your shin just aren't in shape. One of the things you can do even in school is just tap your toes while you're sitting down.

If you have to, pretend you're air-drumming for a black metal band or something. It might hurt at first and your legs may get tired out, but it really does help.
Quote by Ironbodom
- Breath very very heavily to reduce side aches
- Run with as long of stride as possible
- Hit with you heel first and then roll to toe (should help with your pain)
- Arms pumping in straight lines with hands relaxed DO NOT PUMP ACROSS CHEST!!!

Breathe heavily through the nose and out through the mouth, just to clear up confusion.

And hitting with the front of the foot is far better for your feet, any experienced runner will confirm (everyone on my x-country team).
First of all you can't just buy shoes based only on brand.

Take a look at an old pair of running shoes and see where the wear on the sole is located. If it is on the inside you are over-pronating, if it is on the outside you are under-pronating or somewhat neutral. Pronating is the inward rolling of your foot when you step. Too much or too little can cause problems.

Based on what you find, look for specific shoes that address that issue. Also, if you're flat footed don't buy a shoe with lots of arch support. That will hurt.
Quote by johnpetrucci05
Breathe heavily through the nose and out through the mouth, just to clear up confusion.

And hitting with the front of the foot is far better for your feet, any experienced runner will confirm (everyone on my x-country team).

Weird, around here we always learned it heel - toe, but this is mainly from my soccer coaches so I don't know...
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
I use Asics and I run 3 days a week 5 to 7 miles a day and I have never had problems but it really depends on the way you run. There are some stores where you can run on a treadmill and they have someone analyze your stride and whatnot to fit you up with the best shoes possible. I think the REI in Seattle does that but I know that there are a few other stores around that have that too.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by johnpetrucci05
Lol, just got back from a 5 mile run and now reading this! Anyway I started running about a year ago to forge my new self (which I am still working all the time) on so I can ask this girl out that is coming to my school next semester (I used to be a skinny ass computer nerd). Early on, I had problems with my shins and knees hurting as well, overtime, it has seemed to go away, and I never rememebered I had that problem until I read this. I had ****ass shoes first and then I got some Mizunos and have had those for a year, they were pretty good. Got some new Ascics (however you spell them) about 3 weeks ago, and have been running with them about 10 times or so now, really good shoes so far.

I taught myself how to run properly (don't try to make a stupid comment), no trainer or anything like that, so I can only tell you what I have learned myself. For longer distances, pace yourself, don't start really fast, when I run 3 miles for example, my last mile is the fastest. Also if you want to be able to increase your stamina capacity quick, don't ever walk while running, unless you have to. If you ever get tired, just jog really slowly, this will help you get back to where you can run good, but won't screw your heartrate up.

Those are just two tips that I found myself and thought that you might not find somewhere else, as far as everything else goes (proper stepping, breatheing, etc) I'm sure you can find plenty of articles or something on the internet, some people treat running like an art and want to perfect their technique lol.

I just thought I would give you some suggestions petrucci. Maybe you should run with those illegals your dad hires. I mean cross the border with them, that'll teach you to run.

And basically you started running so you could go from a skinny computer nerd, to a skiiny computer nerd who can run? I guess that saves on getting your ass kicked at school.

And I dont know why, but I feel this picture fits perfectly for you: