i just started to listen to a bit of skaish/punkish stuff and i seem to like it, can anyone suggest some really good bands? So far i like : The Johnstones, Sublime, Pepper, Ill Scarlett, Millencolin, got any suggestions?
Gear:
Epiphone Sg-400 standard
Epiphone DR 100 VS
Fender FM 212
Boss ME-50
Just skip that phase and listen to the Slackers.

It is where you'll end up as a ska fan anyway.
you should check out "the ska recomindation thread" they rock
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Just skip that phase and listen to The Specials, Prince Buster, Toots and the Maytals, Madness, Desmond Dekker etc.

It's where you'll end up as a ska fan anyway if you have any sense.
Quote by BostonLacrosse
you should check out "the ska recomindation thread" they rock

You should check out the book of "old tired jokes that make you sound pretentious and kind of a dick and should be left to the pit"... He asked for bands more specifically influenced by both ska and punk. I did a search for him, and there aren't any good threads on it, so let him have this one.

To answer your question, Operation Ivy are probably the best bet
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Just skip that phase and listen to the Slackers.

It is where you'll end up as a ska fan anyway.

My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by RockThe40oz
You should check out the book of "old tired jokes that make you sound pretentious and kind of a dick and should be left to the pit"... He asked for bands more specifically influenced by both ska and punk. I did a search for him, and there aren't any good threads on it, so let him have this one.

To answer your question, Operation Ivy are probably the best bet

ouch, fair enough.
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
operation ivy is awesome, i tried to download some rancid and there awesome too
Gear:
Epiphone Sg-400 standard
Epiphone DR 100 VS
Fender FM 212
Boss ME-50
The Specials, Mustard Plug, and Streetlight Manifesto are probably your three best bets if you just started listening to ska. Try these three for sure. Although The Slackers are surely amazing.
streetlight manifesto, Big D and the Kids Table, Specials, Slackers, Toasters, Mad Caddies, Operation Ivy
Quote by streetlight7
streetlight manifesto, Big D and the Kids Table, Specials, Slackers, Toasters, Mad Caddies, Operation Ivy

OMG, you stole my name!!!!!!
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
not that this changes anything, but im seeing the johnstones AND streetlight manifesto live for $25.

suck it, donny.
Quote by Manos15
That's really expensive, even though Streetlight Manifesto is amazing.

yea i know, but what can you do about it? anyways ive seen streetlight once before and it was an incredible concert so i think its worth it.
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are really good IMO. If you don't mind poppier punk, then you should check out Reel Big Fish and Goldfinger.
"The Soup Nazi of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join"

Member of the SG Commandos
Ah, if you like Sublime and Pepper, then the Expendables are a really good bet.

Not my personal style or choice, but just based on what you have up there, check them out.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Buck-o-nine is decent. My Town is a really good song. Early Aquabats. the later stuff isn't very ska. Catch 22 is pretty sweet. Hepcat!!! Reel Big Fish. Streetlight Manifesto. MU330. Slapstick. MUST hear Skatalites. Specials. Skankin' Pickle. Aggrolites... althought they're more Reggae... and whether you speak spanish or not, Manu Chao is pretty sweet!
Check out my band "Peg and The Bouffants" if your into ska

6 piece (2girl/4boy) ska/indie band from dundee, myspace it and add us if you can be bothered
Gear Lists are for G*A*Y*S

if you are looking for a ska/punk sound check out the Mad Caddies. im in love with them.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C_zSReGkt18&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WoBMamwaWW8&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J-tGWhRSXcs&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a4994OPvQeU&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MEJwBCgsgrI&feature=related

that should give you an idea of what theyre like. they tend to borrow from a lot of different genres though.
definately check out the expendables, also slightly stoopid, rancid streetlight manifesto, aquabats, catch 22, and the supervillains
Catch 22's older stuff (pre-breakup), Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto is the greatest ska band ever, MU330, Mustard Plug.
The Aquabats! are amazing

Sublime as mentioned a lot

Vampire Weekend (more afro-pop but still really good)

No Doubt (be afraid, Gwen Stefani is lead singer, but much better than her solo stuff)
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson