Pardon me for posting this here, but I think GB&C will have better answers than any other forum. I'm looking for a way to clean a guitar and it's hardware, that dosn't involve specifically guitar-oriented cleaning products.

I need something that will be safe to use on a guitar I'm trying to take good care of, and something I can get at a grocery store.

It would probably be better to buy some Ernie Ball guitar wash or whatnot, but I have no car, and GC is a few days away by foot. Harriss Teeter is a lovely 30 minutes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
any type of general polishign compound should work, assumign the guitar has a hard-finish. some basic lemon-oil or boiled linseed oil will condition the fingerboard. if the hardware is chrome you can use soem steel wool to shine it up.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Pardon me for posting this here, but I think GB&C will have better answers than any other forum. I'm looking for a way to clean a guitar and it's hardware, that dosn't involve specifically guitar-oriented cleaning products.

I need something that will be safe to use on a guitar I'm trying to take good care of, and something I can get at a grocery store.

It would probably be better to buy some Ernie Ball guitar wash or whatnot, but I have no car, and GC is a few days away by foot. Harriss Teeter is a lovely 30 minutes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Windex is your friend. Or anything with Ammonia in it. Sudsy ammonia straight from the bottle would be too harsh. Dilute it, if that's what you choose. Ammonia cuts through the grime and reduces oxides. Great for most metals EXCEPT aluminum. Does a nice job on the fretboard but you must to replace the oils that you'll remove, if the board doesn't have a finish. An oily furniture polish or baby oil, will do alright.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What are you going to use the steel wool on? To polish the frets? It's going to change the finish of anything you put it on...

I tend to use alcohol (rubbing, not booze) and a soft cotton cloth to clean up grime. I don't recommend it for the fretboard though unless you've got some serious grime to get through and lemon oil isn't handy as it can dry it out. For the fretboard, I like Murphy's Oil stuff. I've heard Orange Glo can work too.
naphtha lighter fluid will destroy any grime on a fingerboard. and it dries/evaporates quickly so it will not damage any wood. it wouldnt anyways. its used to remove fingerprints and stuff before you apply a finish but will take off any finger-ass on a fretboard. finger-ass is a professional term.