Well i'm rebuilding an old guitar of mine, and i want to have it fretless, is it possible for me just to remove the fret bars on the neck of it? if so, how would i go about doing this? please help...
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
defretted guitars sound terrible... look into scalloping your frets. =]
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Here's a step-by-step procedure:
1. Remove original neck with hammer.
2. Glue on piece of wood that's fairly flat.
Fin!
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
defretted guitars sound terrible... look into scalloping your frets. =]

Do they? I thought they would sound better sliding into each other and all.... and what is scalloping?
I think scalloping is filing the frets down so the strings are closer to the fretboard. Much faster, smoother play.
Last edited by AA00P at Mar 20, 2008,
they sound awful if you can't play them properly but they sound wicked when played right.

one thing you want to consider is removing the frets will result in a loss of brightness in your tone. your guitar will sound much more mellow and bass heavey
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by SlashYourFug
Here's a step-by-step procedure:
1. Remove original neck with hammer.
2. Glue on piece of wood that's fairly flat.
Fin!

No.

And fret less guitars aren't really convenient, you would get a lot of buzz, and it wouldn't sound good at all. But if you're into jazz, they're perfect for you.

But, here it is, this should explain removal of the frets-

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Fretting.htm

As for the gaps you'd end up, some wood filler and sanding would fix that.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
scalloping is when you put divits into the fingerboard between frets, so that when you play, you only touch the frets, no wood.

and yeah, fretless guitar sound like **** unless you use a really high sanded ebony fingerboard, or metal like some companies use. you need flatwound strings, big gauge.
fretless guitars sound awful. especially if you play metal.

don't do it! play slide!
Quote by LP Addict
scalloping is when you put divits into the fingerboard between frets, so that when you play, you only touch the frets, no wood.

and yeah, fretless guitar sound like **** unless you use a really high sanded ebony fingerboard, or metal like some companies use. you need flatwound strings, big gauge.

hell no!
Hahah...ok so the fretless doesnt sound to great
What about where the fret digs in inbetween each fret, slammer hammer or some ****?? whats that about?

and more info on the scalloping thing please, i dont fully understand... sorry
^^^ Yes that, do those sound good being played
and could i do it with my old neck?
One of Vai's signature guitar's has the high frets scalloped, and the lower ones normal, but It's easier to bend on... but it's just as easy to put to much pressure on the strings and put it out of tune.
Quote by LP Addict
hell yes. unless you like poor intonation and alot of buzz.

take a look at jaco pastorius. i know he was a bass player but he played roundwound strings and i find that the buzzing sound on fretless necks with roundwound strings doesn't give you that annoying buzzing sound. it has it's very own character, i think it sometimes almost sounds like a steeldrum or a saxophone.

the only real problem of the roundwound strings is that they eat your neck up with the time.
yeah, roundwound on a bass is okay. not on a guitar.

maybe not OKAY. but acceptible. the huge string guage and the soft-fingered picking style make it much better than a pick on little skimpy 10s or 11s