Hi all.

I bought an Epiphone G400 'SG' repplica Limited Edition 1966
(link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G-400-Electric-Guitar-102676350-i1166714.gc) just a few days ago, and immediately I noticed that just resting my strumming hand on the body of the guitar while fretting causes the guitar to change pitch quite noticeably towards 'sharp'. Its very distracting... obviously the neck is warping or 'giving' with minimal pressure.

My old cheap(er) guitar is a yamaha with bolt-on neck, and it is rock solid by comparison. I would have to apply 3 times this much pressure to even begin feeling the pitch change. Would never happen under normal playing conditions.

Is this is a known issue with solid necks? Or specific to Epiphones?

I am looking at returning this unless there is a known 'fix'. Otherwise love the guitar. It really is a looker too.
Mahogany is just soft, it happens on my g-310 all the time (although that has an absolute shit bolt neck joint).

ONEDIT: Upon readin that closely, I have to say: LOL WUT?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't know... hollow necks are pretty sweet!
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I don't think Mister understood you to say your problem has anything to do with action. If the pitch is changing with very minimal resting of your hand on the body than something is amiss.

Try purposefully causing the problem to check the severity. Is the truss rod okay? There aren't cracks around the neck-to-body pocket are there? Is the bridge fully stable? I'll check my Epiphone Les Paul Studio to see if it does that too, though I've never noticed that in the 6 years I've owned to LP. [It may take me a day or two to get back to you as I have to solder in some pickups]
I tried it with my G-400, and I had to apply some force before the pitch started raising. Maybe you're just a tank and underestimate your strength, or you just got faulty one.
Dude, take it back and get another one. That's just not supposed to happen at all.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Im not applying a ton of pressure or anything. It certainly has never happened with either of the other 2 guitars I've owned...! SO, basically ALL ELSE EQUAL, this guitar changes pitch, the others don't.

Now, it's not changing THAT much, but enough that I can notice it and it annoys the heck out of me.

This guitar is not easy to find at all in GC stores. They carry it for $299 at stores, and $399 online, hence I decided for the store. They only had one left. If they order me a new one, they said I'd have to pay the online price. I guess I don't mind paying the extra $100 as long as I can play without worrying about the pitch change...

And to answer the question above: there is no noticeable damage to this guitar. It really is in pristine mint condition, and is absolutely gorgeous in the heritage cherry finish.
Hmm they sold you that item, and they should give you the new one for the same price. I would just return it and demand it for $299.
yeah having to pay that extra doesn't make sense to me either, sounds like the salesman is trying to get that extra commission from you. I'd for sure return it and ask for the manager if you have problems getting another for the same price
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
I don't get what the issue could be. Sounds like when you put your hand it's causing something to move or shift. The neck shouldn't bend unless you're going Jake E Lee on it, as mahogany is a hard, dense wood. Just take it back. Dunno what's wrong with it, but something smells funny about it, like the bridge is shifting around.
Quote by oneblackened
Mahogany is just soft, it happens on my g-310 all the time (although that has an absolute shit bolt neck joint).

ONEDIT: Upon readin that closely, I have to say: LOL WUT?

G310s are not mahogany.
Quote by gnolivos
Im not applying a ton of pressure or anything. It certainly has never happened with either of the other 2 guitars I've owned...! SO, basically ALL ELSE EQUAL, this guitar changes pitch, the others don't.

Now, it's not changing THAT much, but enough that I can notice it and it annoys the heck out of me.

This guitar is not easy to find at all in GC stores. They carry it for $299 at stores, and $399 online, hence I decided for the store. They only had one left. If they order me a new one, they said I'd have to pay the online price. I guess I don't mind paying the extra $100 as long as I can play without worrying about the pitch change...

And to answer the question above: there is no noticeable damage to this guitar. It really is in pristine mint condition, and is absolutely gorgeous in the heritage cherry finish.

Get 'choo damn money back! Get a new one! Tell those fecks to service your crotchal region, and give you another 'FO FREE.
Im going back tomorrow to return it. Yes what i think is happening is that the neck bends back ever so slightly, therefore tightening the strings, and causing the shift in tune.

I think GC has a 30 day return policy on guitars so should not be a problem to return.
Quote by FRDesign
Set necks seem sensitive. I'm not sure If I like mine.

Ive never had a problem with a set neck.
Quote by FRDesign
G310s are not mahogany.

neck is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
J ROck: So, your neck does the same thing? What model? Im going to go to GC right now and check out another identical model. Will also compare to a true Gibson SG< and see how sensitive those are. But no, I am not spending the extra $1000 regardless