Page 1 of 3
I have been watching senator Obama for a while now, and I'm sick of him. He spits out nothing but absolutely empty promises depending on what part of the country he is in and runs smear campaigns against his opponent, which is absolutely despicable, he is a senator not a high school kid running for student council. I welcome someone to prove me wrong, for God's sake, that's what I'm asking for! Give me hope, please, show me Obama giving a real plan, don't make it up for him, give me a video, an article, anything. This is the only reason why I'm going for Hillary instead of him, she isn't bull****ting anyone, she has a great plan to restore the economy and to stop wasting money on pointless wars. That's what we need right now, not some self proclaimed charmer. If he does come to Missoula, and I hope he does, I'm going to organize a protest. I'm just tired of people acting like sheep. I have nothing against him personally, just everything that he "stands" for. Thank you for reading this, I would rather someone hate me than be indifferent.-C
Gear
American Fender Stratocaster (SCN pups)
Gibson Les Paul: Custom
Samson Q6 Mic
Balls
The last thing that America needs is a Democrat in office, due to increased spending (increases Nat'l debt even further) and therefore increased taxes (Deathblow to the economy).
Quote by LinkManDX
The last thing that America needs is a democrat in office, due to increased spending (Nat'l Debt) and therefore increased taxes (Deathblow to the economy).

Go McCain.

Except the last democratic president didn't land us in trillions of dollars of debt.
McCain wants to stay?
There's more money down the toilet.
Canada ftw...

Hes black, shes a woman?????

Hahaha I have no idea what they are like but I'd vote for... ehh I duno I'd flip a coin.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by SoulFallsVoice
I have been watching senator Obama for a while now, and I'm sick of him. He spits out nothing but absolutely empty promises depending on what part of the country he is in and runs smear campaigns against his opponent, which is absolutely despicable, he is a senator not a high school kid running for student council. I welcome someone to prove me wrong, for God's sake, that's what I'm asking for! Give me hope, please, show me Obama giving a real plan, don't make it up for him, give me a video, an article, anything. This is the only reason why I'm going for Hillary instead of him, she isn't bull****ting anyone, she has a great plan to restore the economy and to stop wasting money on pointless wars. That's what we need right now, not some self proclaimed charmer. If he does come to Missoula, and I hope he does, I'm going to organize a protest. I'm just tired of people acting like sheep. I have nothing against him personally, just everything that he "stands" for. Thank you for reading this, I would rather someone hate me than be indifferent.-C

a) everyone engages in smearing. which sucks. but its ridiculous to complain about obama doing it then be positive about clinton, because she does exactly the same thing, and probably does it more.

b) obama does have policies. go to his website. it lists them quite clearly. in fact, it is much more clear on them than hilary's is on hers. people claim he doesn't have policies. what they mean is that they don't know his policies and aren't interested in finding them out. saying that he doesn't have them is lazy and wrong, both factually and morally.

ultimately, if you disagree with his policies, don't vote for him. thats your decision. but don't discount him based on the nonsensical and factually untrue things you listed. that is no good for no-one. you have a vote. educate yourself so you can use it wisely.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Mar 20, 2008,
Obama's capaign is about why he would make a good president. Hillary's is about why Obama wouldn't make a good president.

Him and Hillary are relatively similar candidates. I support Obama, but I'd be fine if Hillary won.

Plus, part of gaining popularity is to give good speeches. I don't like this, but I think it's true. You have to gain popularity if you want to be president.
Quote by SoulFallsVoice
runs smear campaigns against his opponent,

Que?

and I'm honestly sick of this entire election. If i get another Time or Newsweek with one of them on the cover, I'll kill something.
Who dat?
Obama runs smear campaigns? He's been too busy defending himself from Hillary's smears to start any of his own.
I am hopeful for you.
Quote by Anarion614
Que?

and I'm honestly sick of this entire election. If i get another Time or Newsweek with one of them on the cover, I'll kill something.

while i follow the race closely (go obama) i too am really sick of seeing that on my Times

i subscribed for world news, technology, and insightful articles, im getting tired of the main focus being 70% of the pages being on the campaigns
Quote by metal Lover

here we go again. .

obama has rejected a lot of wright's statements, and regardless, a lot of wright's comments are valid and accurate. i would explain, but i've already done it several times and really can't be bothered.
Quote by that_1_dude24
Except the last democratic president didn't land us in trillions of dollars of debt.

This sentence could be taken two ways, either an attack against the Republican party through Bush, and praising for Bill Clinton.

For the former, Bush was somewhat of an strange case of the Republican party. The Republican philosophy is lower taxes, lower spending, which Bush strayed from for some reason. However, the last thing this country needs is a huge increase in the deficit, which would be caused by Universal Healthcare. We can't pull out of Iraq immediately, as we're still needed there (the Iraqi army isn't strong enough yet to be able to stop insurgency by itself), so the best thing we can do is cut down on other spending, and that would destroy it.

For the latter, we weren't in a war that we can't get out of immediately during the Clinton presidency, so of course the debt was lower. There's always debt when a country goes into a war.
Quote by Tom-sawyer
How can you be so sure there "empty promises".

exactly, people just say that because they dont like that candidate, the only way to see if any of their promises hold truth is if they get in office
Quote by metal Lover
I think people are looking at his race more than his policies.
That doesn't mean he isn't fit to be president.
i don't care who wins, honestly.

i'm waiting for the president who goes back to the traditional way of following the Constitution.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by metal Lover

I think that may be valid, but I'm not sure if it is greater than Hillary being a woman. Kinda silly...
Gear
American Fender Stratocaster (SCN pups)
Gibson Les Paul: Custom
Samson Q6 Mic
Balls
I have no problem with Obama or Hilary. I don't think either of them would ruin the economy. I'm still supporting Obama because I would rather see government spending go toward domestic programs, than if we elected McCain and kept spending our money to expand the Iraq War.
Quote by metal Lover

some people might. i don't think that is such a bad thing in some regards. a part of me would like to see a middle class black guy become president rather than a rich white clinton. i don't think thats wrong. i think its merely a reflection that black people are underrepresented, and that that is a bad thing. and, on a further note, i don't really have much of a problem with some people voting for him because he is black. many more people will refuse to vote for him because he is white. lets be honest, if he wins, it will be in spite of, not because of his race.

regardless, make your decision on what you think. whether people are making decisions based on his race or not shouldn't matter to you. make your own decision based on his policies.
Quote by Waterboy799
i don't care who wins, honestly.

i'm waiting for the president who goes back to the traditional way of following the Constitution.

Hey look a hundred year old document.
Surely that's a good guide to running a country in the 21st century.

Anyway *reported* There's a myriad of threads on this and a political thread at the top.
All this will turn into is more ignorant hate sprouting of "Obama is a muslim" and "bush is the ghey"
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I think that it actually does matter that he is black. Our black youth needs a role model that is not a basketball player or a rapper.
Quote by zyx
I have no problem with Obama or Hilary. I don't think either of them would ruin the economy. I'm still supporting Obama because I would rather see government spending go toward domestic programs, than if we elected McCain and kept spending our money to expand the Iraq War.

As I mentioned in my previous post, getting out of Iraq immediately would be disastrous for Iraq, so we can't do that. No matter what, a good commander in chief would make sure they're well off before we leave. Currently, they aren't well off enough for us to leave. If we cut and run, sure, we'll have more money, but we'll have blood on our hands for destroying Iraq and Universal Healthcare and other domestic programs won't help the debt much.
if Obama does get elected, i see him getting assassinated.

White Protestant America won't allow for someone other than a White Protestant American in office.

as unfortunate as it is, racism is still high and mighty in many parts of the U.S.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by metal Lover
I think that it actually does matter that he is black. Our black youth needs a role model that is not a basketball player or a rapper.

well, quite. i think there are several reasons why having a black person in the white house would be a good thing. of those that remain, i think he's the best candidate in terms of policies, which is the most important thing, but i think the fact that he is black only makes him a better candidate.
Quote by LinkManDX
As I mentioned in my previous post, getting out of Iraq immediately would be disastrous for Iraq, so we can't do that. No matter what, a good commander in chief would make sure they're well off before we leave.

Not really. A good commander in chief would not try to tackle an insurgent guerrilla force with mass military action as that does little but make the problem worse.
A good commander in chief will use diplomacy and possibly cointelpro type programs to disable the movement.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
If America has a problem with their president being black or a women then Americans are a bunch of racist sexist idiots.
Quote by LinkManDX
As I mentioned in my previous post, getting out of Iraq immediately would be disastrous for Iraq, so we can't do that. No matter what, a good commander in chief would make sure they're well off before we leave. Currently, they aren't well off enough for us to leave. If we cut and run, sure, we'll have more money, but we'll have blood on our hands for destroying Iraq and Universal Healthcare and other domestic programs won't help the debt much.

u realize those plans arent universal healthcare right? its forced healthcare for privatized businesses

and i like ur use of republican terminology that puts a negative spin on the subject, ex. "cut and run"
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Hey look a hundred year old document.
Surely that's a good guide to running a country in the 21st century.

hey look, i don't see anything we deal with today that can't be solved correctly by the Constitution.

but Politicians fail to follow it because of something called "loose construction-ism" or in other words, changing the actual meaning of the Constitution to fit their needs. they do whatever they think is "necessary and proper" -section 8, clause 18

Politicians should go back to "strict construction-ism" that way our system of checks and balances would work correctly.

study American history then argue with me prick.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 20, 2008,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really. A good commander in chief would not try to tackle an insurgent guerrilla force with mass military action as that does little but make the problem worse.
A good commander in chief will use diplomacy and possibly cointelpro type programs to disable the movement.

You act like the insurgents will play nice with diplomacy. Sure, throwing large amounts of troops at the problem probably isn't the best idea, but pulling out is even worse.
he's half white, and he is protestant, so perhaps he'll only have an attempted assassination?

as far as a democrat raising taxes goes, there's a lot of money they'll gain from simply eliminating tax cuts for the wealthy before the working class actually has to pay more taxes. approximately 51 billion dollars, to be almost exact, and that's only counting people who make more than a million a YEAR.

Hillary Clinton isn't some practical version of Obama. She's practically stolen all of his ideas (although most of them were bound to be discussed in this election) and made them less idealistic to make it seem like he's some crazy dreamer and she'll actually get things done. She's also got a hell of a lot of debts to pay back to all of these people that lent her and Bill's campaigns money before she actually gets down to helping the american people. that's why she won't reveal her tax records, because she knows it'll ruin her campaign. i'm surprised Obama has had the integrity not to constantly call her out on this topic, because it'd win him the primaries in a heart beat.
Quote by Waterboy799
hey look, i don't see anything we deal with today that can't be solved correctly by the Constitution.

but Politicians fail to follow it because of something called "loose construction-ism" or in other words, changing the actual meaning of the Constitution to fit your needs.

Politicians should go back to "strict construction-ism" that way our system of checks and balances would work correctly.

study American history then argue with me prick.

and tell me o wise one, the constitutions opinion on subjects such as net neutrality and acts of warrantless wiretapping......

and the constitution is vague, thats y its up for interperitations
loose constructionism is one type of interperitation seeing as it obviously cannot provide rules on certain aspects of life today
Quote by metal Lover

That is ruining him. That preacher needs to learn when to stfu. Obama's already dismissed everything he said.
Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
as far as a democrat raising taxes goes, there's a lot of money they'll gain from simply eliminating tax cuts for the wealthy before the working class actually has to pay more taxes. approximately 51 billion dollars, to be almost exact, and that's only counting people who make more than a million a YEAR.

The point I'm trying to make is that a Republican president would cut down other useless spending (Welfare to lazy people (not necessarily incapacitated people, but those who choose not to work and live off the government), etc.) and cut taxes for the middle class, and therefore stimulate the economy.

I'm not assuming a block of spending we have to have, Iraq, then other domestic programs added on, I'm assuming that we have a huge budget that we have to seriously cut down, and adding on to that would be bad.

Also, raising taxes for the wealthy would seriously cut investing dollars, and would screw over the stock market. Those with more money are more likely to put forth the "use money to make money" philosophy, and cutting their supply of money would screw over the stock market.
Quote by LinkManDX
The last thing that America needs is a Democrat in office, due to increased spending (increases Nat'l debt even further) and therefore increased taxes (Deathblow to the economy).

Actually, GWB has done more to increase our national deficit than any other president in history.

When you cut taxes as dramatically as he did AND increase federal spending (two wars, No Child Left Behind (the federal government's attempt to take control of the education system from the states), creation of a department of homeland security, and all the other stuff) you're going to deficit-spend more than anyone.

As far as taxes go, the Bush cuts dramatically affect the ridiculously wealthy and the corporate American, but honestly it's not a huge change if you're a typical middle- or lower-class person. So, it's not really a deathblow to the economy because it's not really affecting most people. And Exxon posted record profits again this last year, making more money than you can imagine spending every MINUTE. I'm not going to lose any sleep over them having to pay higher taxes.

Say what you will about democrats and taxes but at least Clinton could balance the budget (the only president in history to have a budget surplus two years in a row).

People dont' understand that for a national economy, having debt is not a bad thing. If that debt continues to grow, it's not a bad thing. It's only bad if that debt grows at a higher percentage than your economy grows, which, since 2000, when Bush Jr. took over, has happened. In fact, between 1996 and 2000, during Clinton's second term, the national debt fell as a percentage of our GDP for the first time since Reagan.

This should be common knowledge information, but nobody seems to get it.
Page 1 of 3