I have a 5150 212 combo, and I'm not sure if I should keep it. At 60 watts, it's too loud for club gigs, and the way most places are nowadays, you don't need a ton of wattage, because they want to put you through the PA. I've been thinking of trading the 5150 for something smaller, and more portable, and probably less gain.

I was thinking maybe a DRRI, Vox AC30CC head & cab, Peavey Classic 30 Head and cab, or something along those lines. If you have any other suggestions, feel free, but my budget for combo or head/cab is around $1000, give or take a few hundred.

I play mostly blues-rock, think Cream, Jeff Beck, Stones, Aerosmith, that kind of thing, and want it to be extremely touch responsive and able to manipulate with my guitar volume. I love power tube distortion over pre-amp, and would prefer a tube rectifier, but not necessary.

What are your thoughts?
Get the Peavey Classic 30 combo. It's fantastic for what you want to play.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
the peavey would be good, or you could get a used marshall jcm 900, i think those are the 50 watt heads
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
I've heard some issues on tube rattle and bass flabbiness on the Classic 30, anyone here have those problems?
I don't understand the problem with 60 watt all-tube being loud.

My friend has a 60-watt all-tube amp and it's perfectly fine. Theres always a solution. Turn it down.
I'm in a similar situation - I've got a bloody huge lump of Mesa/Boogie which has far too much power and gain for my needs (small to medium pubs and clubes, early Clapton, Beck, Bonamassa etc).
However, the right valves and speakers have improved it a great deal, so don't give up just yet. I don't think the 5150 was ever really meant for blues rock though.

Based on the artists you mentioned, the Classic 30 is a decent enough choice, but I think you'd be best with a low wattage, Plexi-type combo. If the Bluesbreaker reissue is too pricey try some of the many other 18W clones and kits on the market. An AC30 might work too, though personally I'd stick with the vintage Marshalls.
I've tried Marshall heads, but they're always too loud or just not my thing. Plexi-type may sound like my thing, but I've never played through one I've liked so far. I've been looking at the Genz Benz Black Pearl, it looks promising.

As far as the "turning it down" suggestion, with a tube amp, you can't get the best sound from trying to work a 60w amp at the volumes I've looking for. It sounds muddy, and the thing has way too much gain on tap for me, and not the responsiveness I'm looking for. Also, the thing is a pain to lug around, it's huge! That's why I'm thinking head and cab...
Quote by Untitled001
I don't understand the problem with 60 watt all-tube being loud.

My friend has a 60-watt all-tube amp and it's perfectly fine. Theres always a solution. Turn it down.

ive always found 50w too quiet with some drummers i play with and how loud i like to play with - thats why i sold my Marshall Silver Jubilee - though saying that, the ENGL literally breaks things with its volume