Okay, so I've been using DR medium hi beams for several years now, but I think it's time to try out heavier gauge strings. I've heard they bring a deeper, warmer sound, and can increase sustain time. But will I have to adjust with my truss rod and innotation?

edit: heavier as in:

to : 50-70-90-110
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Mar 20, 2008,
Yes.

You should do both after changing strings anyways, but ESPECIALLY after switching gauges.

Also, make sure your nut can fit them.
Yeah, I put graphite around when changing strings, and I'm sure my nut will hold them nicely.

Now, I know how to fix the innotation, but I've never touched the truss rod. Should I do this myself, or take it in a shop to adjust it?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I guess a lot of people take it into the shop for that, but when I bought mine, some guy in the store showed my dad and I how to do it. Just put the rod on, move it no more than one-quarter of a revolution (90 degrees, in other words), and give it a minute to take effect, then look at it again. Hope that helped.
Quote by Pink Muse
I guess a lot of people take it into the shop for that, but when I bought mine, some guy in the store showed my dad and I how to do it. Just put the rod on, move it no more than one-quarter of a revolution (90 degrees, in other words), and give it a minute to take effect, then look at it again. Hope that helped.

Personally, I would wait longer than a minute, but i'm just paranoid. You shouldn't have to adjust the truss rod a whole lot for the gauge jump you're making, I would think.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Yeah, when I went from the taperwound .110 E from the Fender strings the .105 Rotosounds, I didn't even need to adjust the saddle or anything.

Also, any more expansion after a minute is tiny to the point where you'd be hard pressed to even notice it.
People are over protective of their trusses. They're big steel rods, they're not exactly fragile and it takes a lot of twisting to do anything drastic to the neck. I find that anything less than a good 1/2 turn really doesn't have a very noticeable effect.

Other than that, yeah the bass will require a small adjustment with the new gauge. You'll probably have to add some tension to the truss because there's more tension on the neck. The intonation will probably go out a touch too.
No need to wait when adjusting the truss rod, after adjusting place you hand halfway down the neck, with the frets facing you if you've added tension and away if you've released tension, place you other hand at the nut position and give a Very gentle push and I mean gentle, that is all that is needed.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn