Alright, so my brother just had his birthday today, and my parents got him a new Mapex (MX i think, im not sure) 5 peice drumset. After we set it up, the thing played spectacularly, exept whenever he hit the small tom (10x12 i think, again im not really sure it cause the snare to make a very loud harsh sound. When we moved the snare to the other side of the set, the tom didn't make it make a sound, and no other tom made the snare make a sound. As a guitarist, my initial reaction was just, "oh why don't you keep it on the other side of the set" but my brother's just so used to the snare being in the standard postion that he can't play the drums right if its not right next to the small tom.
So my question is, how do we get the tom to stop making the snare make a sound, without moving either drum?
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
You may have to tighten or loosen the skin on the tom.

But I don't know much about drums.
If I understand this correctly, you're snare is only rattling and if you're playing you probably wont really notice it. If it really bugs you, you could go St.Anger style and switch the snare off
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
well, you can't really move it to the other side. that isn't how people set their kits up. i guess move a little, or, even better, tune them. it seems that the problem might be that their tuned the same and are vibrating sympathetically. perhaps. so alter the tuning on the tom and/or the snare.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Tuning is generally a good thing to do with a new set of drums.

And try moving the snare just a tiny bit "down" towards the drummer, away from the tom.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Most likely you will need to put rings around each one of the toms and snare, it helps to keep the drums from ringing. The types of heads that come on the drums also effect the amount of ring, but i would just look for drum rings that go around the outside. You can also take a piece of like folded up napkin tape it to the edge (just play with it untill it sounds right)
burn it!
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
1. Snare could be too close to the tom
2. No rings (mutes)
3. Tom or snare isn't tuned properly
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Rhyan_EG
If I understand this correctly, you're snare is only rattling and if you're playing you probably wont really notice it. If it really bugs you, you could go St.Anger style and switch the snare off

words that should never be uttered...
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
it seems like your just picking up vibration from the snare and the rattling is just being picked up by the tom

just tune the tom to where the snare won' t really effect it as much, moving the snare to the other side wouldn't be such a good idea since that would just throw off the way your brother plays

but he shouldn't really be worried about the tom picking up the sound because you won't really be able to notice it once you really get into playing a good beat
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
I drum, and I'm guessing its the snare making a ringing, vibration noise whenever you hit? If that's the noise you are getting, then all you have to do is take the black knob, (probably black) right next to where you can turn the snare on and off. You screw that to as tight as it goes, then you take your drumkey, and tune it until you like the sound and the ringing is minimal, although your snare will always ring, you just have to get used to it, it happens with all sets. If you don't know the way to tune, say so, because it can warp the head if you just go in a circle while tuning.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by PlayMadness
Tuning is generally a good thing to do with a new set of drums.

And try moving the snare just a tiny bit "down" towards the drummer, away from the tom.

Thanks, I'll tell him to try both of those.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
tighten the drum heads, tighten the snare strainer, or put some sort of muffling device on the top drum head(make like a duct tape donut but make sure its in the right place cause its not coming off easy)
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
you will find the rattle only happens at certain frequencies..tune both a bit to get rid of it