Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Hardcore & Punk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Caliban - Gravity, New Album!

So I haven't been this excited about a new album since Misery Signals released their newest deal a few years ago.

I've only gotten to track 6 and already the album has everything I love about Caliban. Melodic driving riffs with some breakdowns that are heavy as hell. They took the best elements of "I am Nemesis" and blended them with the good bits from "Ghost Empire" and now we have a wonderful love child of European metalcore (so mostly melodic death metal that is easier to listen to) but is beautiful none the less.

The singing parts aren't cheesy like many bands who blend the sing/scream and the songs have a good balance of screamed and sung vocals. There aren't random singing parts in songs that don't need them and they make great use of the "group shout" deal in a few tracks.

I am sitting here thinking how pumped this album is making me. I almost want to go work out and punch something just listening to it. Not in a fit of rage, but I am just getting some energy build up from it.

Drum work is basic Caliban style, nothing complex or fancy, lots of double bass and flutter kicking, but it works and really ties the music together. Not ground breaking or phenomenal but solid and a driving force. Guitars are tight and and bass is locked right in with them and accents the drums during the verses. Everything sounds like Caliban does when I think about them and while it really isn't anything new or ground breaking for the band, it is a fresh take on what we all love about them.

Even their "ballad" song, 'brOKen' is making me remissness of early 2000's "metalcore" when the style was new and fresh and jumping into the limelight.

Anyway, I am running out of things to say while listening to this album. Take a gander for yourself and dive right into it. Don't expect something new or ground breaking, but do expect a very well done record with a band who has been rocking this style and keeping it fresh for almost 2 decades.

Now excuse me as I keep rocking out at work. Let me know what you guys think. All I know is that I am happy with everything I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

You're write up got me pumped to hear it but I've listened to the first few tracks and it's just not really doing much for me.

Here's the full album though

PSN: esunax
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I do like this album. Big ol' chugs riffs and huge catchy choruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
DamienEx1021
PC Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
I do like this album. Big ol' chugs riffs and huge catchy choruses.

I remember you not liking "Ghost Empire" so it is nice to see you enjoy this one. I know it is nothing special musically, but everything that it does do, it does it really fucking well. I love the Heavy to Melodic transitions and it isn't over bearing and doesn't get repetitive across the album. Always liked that about Caliban.... always keeping the chug chug different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Yeah Ghost Empire just fell super flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: