So I have an American Deluxe Stratocaster and I love it. This will probably be my main guitar for decade at least.

I have become increasingly more interested in heavier rock and metal along the lines of Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth. I bought my Strat in the beginning of the summer and I feel like I shouldn't be shelling out any more cash for another guitar, but I want something that will be better suited for the new style that i'm getting into.

I was looking along the lines of a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR. Should I get it? Or tough it out and play metal with my strat?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Strats aren't bad for metal, I mean, hell, even a telecaster can pull off some pretty sick stuff.
But if you're positive a new, more metal-ish guitar would be worth it, go for it.
Get it if you have the money. If not . . . save for it. He who has the best toys at death wins.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
concidering i have had all the things you have in your sig except the standard, i would say try to trade the standard ( unless your really into it, your deluxe totally owns it ) and try to get the schecter. my friend has it its suitable enough for metal. your amp doesnt do metal to well

or you can take the standard and put in pickups that handle distortion better

keep in mind i can say all of these things because i have/had your equipment lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

you could just upgrade the pickups to some that would suit Metal bands
My stuff:
ESP LTD KH 202 w/ emg 81's
PEAVEY 5150 II Head
4x12 MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB

A recent study shows that 92% of all teens have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Quote by SoccerRM1
So I have an American Deluxe Stratocaster and I love it. This will probably be my main guitar for decade at least.

I have become increasingly more interested in heavier rock and metal along the lines of Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth. I bought my Strat in the beginning of the summer and I feel like I shouldn't be shelling out any more cash for another guitar, but I want something that will be better suited for the new style that i'm getting into.

I was looking along the lines of a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR. Should I get it? Or tough it out and play metal with my strat?

dude just hotrod your standard strat. Put a couple of buckers in there and you are set!
While that schecter is a good guitar, There are more versatile guitars out there that you could get. If you really have to get a new guitar, I would just reccomend an ESP since you like your strat so much.

Your Fender could probably handle that type of stuff given the right amp and effects though.
DUDE. get the hellraiser. i got one without the floyd because i think they are a bitch if you want to tune down and i need versatility. the tone is godly and it can make any tone, while it can blow your mind with the heaviest most metal distortion ever. dude just get it. its so amazing. i love mine to death.
Quote by timzee117
concidering i have had all the things you have in your sig except the standard, i would say try to trade the standard ( unless your really into it, your deluxe totally owns it ) and try to get the schecter. my friend has it its suitable enough for metal. your amp doesnt do metal to well

or you can take the standard and put in pickups that handle distortion better

keep in mind i can say all of these things because i have/had your equipment lol

I do know my amp isn't ideal for metal, but i can get some pretty thick distortion out of my deluxe.

I was planning on trading my standard in if i were to get the Schecter. One of my main problems with the strat is that it doesn't produce the pinch harmonics that a guitar with active pickups can. Also, i'm interested in getting a guitar with the FR.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I agree, trade in the standard Strat and get a more metal guitar. Or, you could get a hotrails pickup for one of your Strats and give it a mini-humbucker. That should help for metal.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Obviously, playing Metallica, Pantera and stuff like that is not gonna sound great on a Strat. As you've just pointed out yourself, the only thing is. What sounds good to YOU?

What do YOU like?

Do YOU think you should have another guitar?

Do YOU think you'll use it enough?

It's all about what you want man. If you think it would be beneficial to you then maybe it's a good idea!

Don't think I'm trying to be rude 'cause I'm not, only, at the end of the day, you want to please yourself. It doesn't matter what others think. I had an LTD guitar for ages and went the other way, wanting to vary more into Blues, Jazz, etc so I've brought myself a Strat. It's a decision that I felt was necessary.

Dude, it's really up to you. If you're gonna ask "Should I get it?" no one can give you a good answer apart from yourself. Can't say I've ever even looked at Schecter really, so I can't give any feedback on that guitar. If you do decide to buy another guitar, just make sure you go and try it out in the store.

And I personally say, don't spend pennies on a little crappy one, go balls out and get a decent guitar. A one of payment and having one sick ass guitar to me is alot better than having 5 crappy guitars which cost even more when you add them together.

I hope this helps.

Daryl
GUITAR!!!!!
I did consider modding the MIM strat by throwing in some new pickups, but I was really eyeing the floyd rose bridge and I don't even want to attempt that kind of modification. I figured if i traded in the MIM and got a schecter, i'd be saving some money while getting the pickups, bridge, and extra frets.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by BHD
Obviously, playing Metallica, Pantera and stuff like that is not gonna sound great on a Strat. As you've just pointed out yourself, the only thing is. What sounds good to YOU?

What do YOU like?

Do YOU think you should have another guitar?

Do YOU think you'll use it enough?

It's all about what you want man. If you think it would be beneficial to you then maybe it's a good idea!

Don't think I'm trying to be rude 'cause I'm not, only, at the end of the day, you want to please yourself. It doesn't matter what others think. I had an LTD guitar for ages and went the other way, wanting to vary more into Blues, Jazz, etc so I've brought myself a Strat. It's a decision that I felt was necessary.

Dude, it's really up to you. If you're gonna ask "Should I get it?" no one can give you a good answer apart from yourself. Can't say I've ever even looked at Schecter really, so I can't give any feedback on that guitar. If you do decide to buy another guitar, just make sure you go and try it out in the store.

And I personally say, don't spend pennies on a little crappy one, go balls out and get a decent guitar. A one of payment and having one sick ass guitar to me is alot better than having 5 crappy guitars which cost even more when you add them together.

I hope this helps.

Daryl

Yea, I completely understand that it is my decision.
I take every opinion here for what it's worth and ultimately it is my decision. I plan to test out a bunch of different guitars and all that, I just figured this might be a good starting point.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I would definitely get an amp first, and then the Hellraiser. Do what you will, but make sure you try out that Hellraiser. The thing's a beast.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
I would definitely get an amp first, and then the Hellraiser. Do what you will, but make sure you try out that Hellraiser. The thing's a beast.

what kindof amp should I be looking at for heavier stuff?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I'm not sure. I've been looking for a new amp as well. Personally I'm looking at either a Randall or a Peavey Valveking. Depends on your budget really.
Quote by mrvile

When is it time for a second guitar?

NOW!

If you can afford it now then go for it. I find each one of my guitars inspire me to play very different types of music which hopefully makes me a better player overall.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
well from an american deluxe strat....it goes downhill from there pretty much
Damien Rice === Legend
I think you shoul look into an Ibanez S guitar there great and not only for metal there very versatile.
Time to get a second guitar ?

(1) Know how to play.

(2) Have a good amp. (cheap solidstate stacks don't count!!)

(3) Have patience, don't let a "G.A.S. attack" trick you into buying a guitar you don't REALLY want. Save and get the one you really want.
(4) PLAY THEM !!!!! You have two, not one! Don't go down to just one useful/modded guitar. Don't do a mod to one that will make you hate the other because you didn't do the same.

If you pass these standards then

CONGRATULATIONS SPEND THAT MONEY BOY !
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by rrhoads47
I think you shoul look into an Ibanez S guitar there great and not only for metal there very versatile.

****ING RIGHT!
s5470
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
I love Schecters. They're probably my favorite guitars for harder rock and metal stuff. I would go with the Hellraiser or the C-1 classic but get one without the Floyd Rose unless you really need it. I have an OFR on one of my guitars and I find that I don't really use it enough to justify its cause and its a bitch to keep going and its pretty much pointless if you need alternate tunings. I ended up blocking mine off.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Pull up th pickguard and check its routing. It may be HSH or swimming pool. Just drop a new pickguard in there with some humbuckers and you're squared away!
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by jackson001
Pull up th pickguard and check its routing. It may be HSH or swimming pool. Just drop a new pickguard in there with some humbuckers and you're squared away!

huh?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Why not mod your other strat to have a bridge humbucker?

Or maybe save up and buy an iron maiden strat?
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
Get it if you have the money. If not . . . save for it. He who has the best toys at death wins.

Amen
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by wolfy808
Why not mod your other strat to have a bridge humbucker?

Or maybe save up and buy an iron maiden strat?

becasue i'd like the floyd rose, and the standard strat has less frets than the Schecter would have.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
When you can afford it.

Theyre beautiful items, and a helluva lot cheaper than cars.

Leave your strat a strat. Its built to sound a certain way. Use it for that sound. Again, as long as you can afford it. If you are really attached to the feel of your strat and youre strapped for cash, modd it to suit your needs.

I bought a MIM Strat about 6 months ago, and Im looking to pick up an ESP EC1000 after tax time. After that, I'll get me a nice acoustic and I should be well rounded from there.

Guitars are seksee.
Have a good amp. (cheap solidstate stacks don't count!!)
But bear in mind that tubes are for n00bs. With experience comes better judgment, so don't be a knee-jerk going along with the "hear with your eyes" crowd.
Quote by SoccerRM1
becasue i'd like the floyd rose, and the standard strat has less frets than the Schecter would have.

idk if u want 24 frets or what, but im sure i remember the iron maiden strat has 22 frets, a floyd rose and two hot rails in the neck and middle, with a and a seymour duncan JB junior humbucker in the bridge. here's a link: http://www.rockexplorer.com/ElecGuitar/Fender/IronMaiden.html

But if you're intrested in a schecter, get a C-1 classic or a hellraiser.