I can get a Roland 30x for 219euro but a 15w blues junior cost 500..Is the difference so majorly important that its worth nearly 300 euro(470$)!

The cube has aload of half decent amp models in it aswell....Will people really notice the difference between a tube and a ss or just guitar players...Are tubes more designed for giggin than a bedroom or is the other way round..
Damien Rice === Legend
I've had experience with a 25w solid state and my 40w tube...

The tube amp sounds much better at high volumes when the tubes get hot. The solid state is good for low volume practice in a small room (bedroom). I would say that the price difference is worth it.

Also its important to realize that a 40w tube amp will be much much louder than a 40w solid state.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tubes = gigging, unless it's a 5w.

Styles?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
anybody can tell the difference between tube and ss if they look for it. especially if they have those little things on their head called ears.
yes
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
huge difference between tube and solid state. tubes tend to sound much nicer and warmer
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
yes i had a valvetronix ad50vt and the difference was noticeable from my line 6 spider 212. I recommend the tube over solid.
not really because people will just reference the shop/online prices...Those prices there were thomann so add another 80 to get store prices
Damien Rice === Legend
the dude above has it right. whether the tube amp is at 0.5 volume or at 5 when I'm with the band you can tell, bottom line. anyone who tells you otherwise has something wrong with them
Quote by wigamortis
yes i had a valvetronix ad50vt and the difference was noticeable from my line 6 spider 212. I recommend the tube over solid.

valvetronix isnt tube...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by wigamortis
Neither of those is really a tube amp, are they? Isn't the VT a hybrid?
Quote by Flying Couch

haha I already said that, but thats ok.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Yes, the difference is huge to a guitar player, noticable to a random listener. that said, don't buy a 15 watt tube amp, ss is much better for low practice volumes, etc.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by Flying Couch

ya all the vt's are hybrids. i did play a mesa boogie roadking or something similar and it had a lot better tone and everything than the kid that was playing (dare i say it) a marshall mg250. ahh, i said it...

PS. brownie points to the one who guesses the reference.
Quote by ortrigger
ya all the vt's are hybrids. i did play a mesa boogie roadking or something similar and it had a lot better tone and everything than the kid that was playing (dare i say it) a marshall mg250. ahh, i said it...

PS. brownie points to the one who guesses the reference.
I don't know the reference, but it's not like it's hard to get better tone than an MG250.
okay im in two minds here...Should i just get the microcube as a practise amp then save up for a good tube to use with my band...Ive been playing acoustic for years so this is my first time dealing with amps etc..Ive pretty much choses Fender standard fat strat for guitar..

With the tube amp wouldnt i have the buy a s**t loada pedals to get the same effects that come with the cube...or is the anyway i could hook the cube to a tube and get best of both worlds..
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by Flying Couch
I don't know the reference, but it's not like it's hard to get better tone than an MG250.

oh sir! you couch just crashed from your inability to recognize monty python and the holy grail references. you're still right though.
A good tube amp is going to sound better at low volumes than a solid state amp. It'll sound amazing at higher volumes but it's still going to sound good at low volumes.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by ortrigger
oh sir! you couch just crashed from your inability to recognize monty python and the holy grail references. you're still right though.
Blast! How did I miss that!
Quote by guitarguy182
okay im in two minds here...Should i just get the microcube as a practise amp then save up for a good tube to use with my band...Ive been playing acoustic for years so this is my first time dealing with amps etc..Ive pretty much choses Fender standard fat strat for guitar..

With the tube amp wouldnt i have the buy a s**t loada pedals to get the same effects that come with the cube...or is the anyway i could hook the cube to a tube and get best of both worlds..
That's an excellent idea, and exactly what I've done. Played a Roland Micro Cube and a Fender Frontman to learn/practice, now I'm buying a Carvin MTS to gig, etc.

Pedals... I can't really help with that; I'm not much of an effects guy.
Tubes are louder due to the greater harmonic content in their sound and sound better when they overdrive. Because of that, they have a much richer sound, which is often highlighted by the slight compression the tubes give to your sound. Their downsides are is to get decent headroom, you need a LOT of wattage. They are also heavy, fairly high maintenance, and tend to be limited in what they can do (Randall's RM series I believe it is with it's little module thingies is the exception to this).

Solid States often have more headroom, are much more versatile, work better at lower volumes, are lighter and require virtually no maintenance. They are also cheap and ideal for practice. On the down side, when they do start to distort due to volume (clipping) they sound awful. In general, they loose definition as you crank them, particular with higher gain units. Likewise, they don't have near the texture to their sound as a tube amp. While most of these problems can be avoided if you buy a high end solid state like a Line 6 Vetta II, they are extremely expensive and hard to use.

There is your basic break down. To sum it up, yes there is a lot of difference. In the end though, it's preference. They have their strengths and weaknesses. Some people will prefer solid states, others will like tube
Last edited by CJRocker at Mar 21, 2008,
The difference is quite major, especially to my ears. I can listen to tube amps cranked for long periods of time with no problem, while a SS on low volume will give me a headache after a while. No doubt I find the tone of a tube amp better for any style of music. As for your asking about needing a lot of pedals with a tube amp... the separate pedals FAR exceed the quality and function of on-board effects, and generally with a tube amp I go directly from the guitar to the amp without pedals. When I started, I liked to fiddle with effects, but it is often best to leave them alone and allow technique improvement to sculpt your tone.

To the above post... TUBE amps have more headroom, not SS.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Mar 21, 2008,
The difference is over 9000.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"