I feel like a twat for making this thread, but I'm having a little trouble setting up a strat. The action is staying unaturally high, and no ammout of neck pockt shims, saddle adjustments, or truss rod tweaks are helping. Anyone have a good stragety for tackeling an uncoperative Strat setup?
Make sure the nut is filed low enough (but make REALLY sure before you cut).
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Make sure the nut is filed low enough (but make REALLY sure before you cut).

emphasis added.
Quote by ortrigger
emphasis added.

It needs as much as it can get.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
The nut is fine. I fear it's too low, if anything; most buzz comes from the first 2 and last 3 frets. I've tightened the truss rod to straighten the neck, but to no avail.

As far as Squier vs. Fender goes, I've set up some Squiers better than Fenders, and vise versa. Irrelevant.
Quote by gwitersnamps
It needs as much as it can get.

ya. but we still don't know if its a squier. if it is it might be worth it just to get a new guitar.
Quote by ortrigger
ya. but we still don't know if its a squier. if it is it might be worth it just to get a new guitar.

Fine, it's a Squire. a JV series '62 reissue, made in Japan on April 11th of 1983. If you're going to trash me for owning a Squire, trash me for my Affinity Tele (which plays beautifully) or my '91 Squier II (which sounds quite good, and plays well, but is admitantly made of ****ty bodywood). This is the last Squire you should trash.

A new guitar? Don't tempt me! I've finally cut it down below 10, I think.

What I was really asking was if there were some good zeroing points to start from. IE, neck fully relieved, saddles all all the way down, neck unshimmed, or something; a place to start from.
go to expertvillage.com and search stratocaster... choose the second one i think and there is a whole line of videos for this process
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311