I just recently got my first guitar, a Martin acoustic, and have been thinking about the optional things I'd like to purchase to go along with it.

My guitar teacher makes great use out of an amp and a looper pedal when he's doing solo gigs without his band. Here's a YouTube vid example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nuEcTlRfDw.

Other than the amp and looper pedal are there any other cool gadgets that are 'must haves.'

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
well is yours an acoustic electric or just an acoustic. im assuming it is an acoustic electric if you are asking about effects and the like. but if you are just starting out, stick with learning the guitar as an instrument and dont worry so much about the do-dads and other fun stuff.

but one thing i can advise is a capo. thats a good start. i love my capo.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
<3 looper pedal
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by LaidBack
well is yours an acoustic electric or just an acoustic. im assuming it is an acoustic electric if you are asking about effects and the like. but if you are just starting out, stick with learning the guitar as an instrument and dont worry so much about the do-dads and other fun stuff.

Yeah, you don't need all that cool stuff just yet. A general rule of thumb when it comes to begginers is don't spend too much money, just in case you don't stick with it. Also buying a bunch of stuff that don't need and likely can't use properly is a bad idea. Just learn how to play first, but for the sake of the thread I just used an Ebow for the first time today. It was damn cool, I think I just may need to buy one.

here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq0i6jP7dQ get a loop station and one of these you could write and play symphonies by your self.
Last edited by david_highland at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by whatadrag
a pick...?

BAH! Fingerstyle ftw!
Quote by LaidBack

Capos make you think you don't have to learn barr chords, if you're not careful.

I advise a CASE.
well im not saying to get a capo so you dont have to learn barre chords. im saying get one so you can play stuff like wonderwall and here comes the sun and other songs without having to retune.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
well im not saying to get a capo so you dont have to learn barre chords. im saying get one so you can play stuff like wonderwall and here comes the sun and other songs without having to retune.

I play wonderwall with no capo, I just sing it 2 steps lower.

If you're going to play a lot of acoustic and like being in the same key as some songs, it's actually a good idea.
Thanks for the feedback guys. All good advice. To answer one of the early questions it's an electric acoustic (Fishman Aura system onboard).
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I play wonderwall with no capo, I just sing it 2 steps lower.

well, some of us cannot control their vocal keys as well. if at all if you are me lol
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals