32 26%
Years
6 5%
still suck at it..
76 62%
Voters: 123.
Page 1 of 2
how long?

and what are the things that you use to learn it like a teacher,practising (amount of time), and other tools.
Last edited by The Arch Enemy at Mar 21, 2008,
still suck at it, though i rarely need to sweep pick
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Yea, took me a while. Especially since im a "self-taught" guitarist.
took me about a year.
Yeah a few months for me. It actually "snapped" one night after about 5 hours of practice...

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
Geez, whoever can learn sweeping in a month must a be a freakin god or something.
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Quote by Tyranus-3121
still suck at it, though i rarely need to sweep pick

^That's pretty true. It's a neat trick, and it can sound very beautiful at times, but if the rest of your playing is crappy, it wont make it sound better. Not saying Tyranus' playing is crappy, I'm just saying that sweeping won't work in very many situations at all.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Quote by M<rockqer>M
Geez, whoever can learn sweeping in a month must a be a freakin god or something.

Start bowing
this thread is pointless, because it is unclear what kind of previous guitar experience people had before they undertook "sweeping"
It's all about feel
i picked it up in a couple of days on 3 string w/taps then 4 and im working on 5 about 1 month later, its not that hard once you have the tequnique down on a 3 string sweep, 4 is hard but easyier than you, but 5 is when it gets tricky, seeing as as i cant do it yet
Sweepings easy, right after i picked it up I figured it out how to sweep

its not rocket science

wait, are we talking about brooms?
to be honest
i just sat down one day and tried it
and after a couple days of just practicing it i got it down perfect
im not exaggerating either
it just snapped
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by M<rockqer>M

It's not as difficult as it looks. It's actually harder than it looks...
But once you practice it enough it becomes effortless. I promise.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

I can only sweep fast 8th notes right now, been practicing for a good while, though not always properly I suppose. I'm a fan of random noises and tend to go off on a tangent playing ****ty licks
it took me a half a year to get it down.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by pageisgod493
i picked it up in a couple of days on 3 string w/taps then 4 and im working on 5 about 1 month later, its not that hard once you have the tequnique down on a 3 string sweep, 4 is hard but easyier than you, but 5 is when it gets tricky, seeing as as i cant do it yet

I learned 5 string sweeps before I got good at 3 string... I'm broken inside.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by hopespaul
this thread is pointless, because it is unclear what kind of previous guitar experience people had before they undertook "sweeping"

+ 1000 That pretty much destroys this thread...

Just remember: Perfect ractice makes perfect. START SLOW.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Quote by Generalpwnt
I learned 5 string sweeps before I got good at 3 string... I'm broken inside.

Don't sweat it, you'll get it eventually.
I actually got 5 down before I got three down as well.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Quote by MegaJeff
Sweepings easy, right after i picked it up I figured it out how to sweep

its not rocket science

wait, are we talking about brooms?

I was under the same impression... damn I got lost - this isnt the ultimate guide to house cleaning forum is it??
Whoa TS you must kick ass, dude you think you chould show us some vids or recording?
It took around 6 months for me.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Whoa TS you must kick ass, dude you think you chould show us some vids or recording?
It took around 6 months for me.

I have been playing for only 12 months.I can sweep in most shapes but have to master my cleaniness of them.I have only been sweeping for a 1 month or so.Nothing speical about it so...there isnt a reason to so I guess.
Quote by pageisgod493

Really? 5 is easy for me. I didn't have any trouble doing 5 when I started learning. I just can't do it fast yet.
I actually found three string sweeping hardest, 5 easiest, followed by 4

It took me about a month to learn it, clean at high speeds. But although a lot of my friends say I have mastered, i been doin it for about 2 years, and there are some sweeps that give me trouble for they are very ackward
imo there's a big difference between sweeping and sweeping cleanly. I've found learning to play cleanly is what is time consuming, not so much the initial technique.
Quote by Black_Fender
Don't sweat it, you'll get it eventually.
I actually got 5 down before I got three down as well.

What do you man eventually? I already know how to sweep, I was just talking about mein kampf.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Lojik
imo there's a big difference between sweeping and sweeping cleanly. I've found learning to play cleanly is what is time consuming, not so much the initial technique.

Same here.

I probably had the basic sweep down after a day or two of working on it after my third year. Unfortunately, it's been about 10 months and I'm not clean with it yet. Both hands are perfectly in sync, it's the muting that kills me.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I caught onto it pretty quickly

Once I slowed down the technique and really analyzed what I was doing it was quite simple. The hard part is remembering where all the arppegio shapes are so you can follow the chord progressions ect ect.
About 5 months.

Weird thing is, it pretty much overuns everything else I learned. It improved my technique in general. Teaches you to play with as little tension as possible.
I still suck at sweeping, but i rarely practice it. i've only really tried to do it twice, and I get so bored I stop. it's part of the reason why I want to take lessons again.
Quote by Tallman
About 5 months.

Weird thing is, it pretty much overuns everything else I learned. It improved my technique in general. Teaches you to play with as little tension as possible.

Yeah the motion in itself is a great exercise. It helps with coordinated movements and muting a great deal.
a few hours, I just tried it over and over while I was watching cartoons and it just happened and I've been able to do it ever since
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Once you get a good feel for the technique the possibilities are endless

There are so many ways to use the technique outside of the typical arpeggios.
One of the best tips is to commit to each stroke. You want to find a good tempo that your right hand can manage nice and even to a metronome. Try it with the strings muted... just get that motion down then bring in the left hand and work it in that way. You don't want your wrist to flop around or anything either. Make it a nice even "handshake" motion covering the amount of strings you're aiming to hit.

What I mean by committing to each stroke is you don't want any hesitation on the down or the up, it's gotta be fluid at a tempo you can play clean.
I have been sweeping for 2 weeks, still suck at it. Hard part is going fast while remaining clear.
i will probably have it down within a few months.
Can anyone link some sweep picking exercises? Ive never really needed to use sweep picking in anything I play, but Id like to try it.
It's been about 3 months since I started sweeping. Right now, I can sweep 3-string patterns in 16th notes at about 120-130bpm. I can do 5-string sweeps in 8th notes at the same bpm. I COULD go faster, but I lose a lot of clarity and consistency. I figure that I might as well keep going slow for now, just to ensure that I can do it right. The more you take it slow and ensure that you're going for clarity/accuracy over speed, the better off you'll be.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Page 1 of 2