I have here a Fender Jazz Bass. It's in turqoise blue, and it's got a few blemishes on the headstock (one about a quarter cm of white) and on the body, (again white, but a few spots)

It looks kind of like this: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0190660755

What im trying to do is to get some dough of this Old bass (hardly ever touch) and get a MIM strat from GC. Anyone care to shed some insight on this situation? A good price range if they are willing to buy? Is it worth it?

~Thanks!
i was talking to one of the guys at the one near where i live and he said they give you a better deal if you actually do do a trade in rather than just try to sell it
i know you said that's what you were trying to do but just make sure they are doing that kind of offer for you
signed,
your favorite poster
If you just try and sell it, then they're going to rip you. What my Guitar Center does, and I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but they check how much the same product is going for on Ebay, then they give you half of that.

If you trade in for another product, then they usually give you a better deal. I haven't done this, though, so I can't tell you how that works.
Look up your bass on ebay, and see what they've sold for on "completed" listings. Guitar Center actually has their own used prices database (they don't really check ebay), but the prices in their database are pretty similar to ebay's).

Take that average, and cut it in half.

That's approximately what they'll give you if you sell it to GC or a pawn shop for cash. If you do a trade in, you COULD possibly get a better deal. Neither will be anywhere as good as if you tried to sell it yourself though.

If you want the most for your bass, sell it on your own, either through ebay, or craigslist, or something similar. If you really don't care about the loss, trade it in. I'd never suggest getting cash for it from a music or pawn shop though.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have no idea how good of a deal you'll get from GC, but most stores prefer you do a trade in and will give you a better deal than just selling it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
So if i give them my bass, you think they will let me have one of their MIM strats?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
^ Most likely not. Sell it on your own, because even if you trade it in you'll still take a huge loss.
Can someone explain to me (that has done a trade-in before) how the whole system works?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by snipelfritz
I have no idea how good of a deal you'll get from GC, but most stores prefer you do a trade in and will give you a better deal than just selling it.

It's funny because when they do this, they're just giving you BS. They don't make any more money on it either way, and they're perfectly capable of giving you the same amount of money for it whether you buy or trade in. An ex-employee told me that, so yeah.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite