I cut off way too much of my string when restringing, so there is not even 1 wrap around. Could my string break because of this if i tune it up to full pitch?

When I was tuning it up earlier, it wasnt going anywhere, and then it slipped out of my saddle.

Also tuned it up again, and it made a very loud sound that sounded like it broke, but it didnt.
Last edited by FRDesign at Mar 21, 2008,
be a man and don't fear breaking strings.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
don't worry about breaking string while winding them because it's eventually going to happen even if you don't over tighten the strings.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Man, that's why I love locking tuners. Don't have to worry about that stuff.

If there isn't enough string on the tuner, there is a chance that it will slip out, but if your nut it locked, it shouldn't do much/anything.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Do you string it with the ball end at the tuner? If you don't, you should. Either way, the locking nut should hold it in place once you get it tuned, but until then it'll probably just keep slipping out of the tuner hole.
Quote by which ones pink
Do you string it with the ball end at the tuner? If you don't, you should. Either way, the locking nut should hold it in place once you get it tuned, but until then it'll probably just keep slipping out of the tuner hole.
Yeah I have the ball end in, It did slip a bit, But I got it to work.
a lotta folks with FR's like to put the ball end in the tunner so they dont have to sweat the string length.
There should have been plenty of string length left after you cut off the ball end. Usually i have about 4-6 inchs left after stringing and tuning to cut off as excess.. Sounds like you might have cut it wrong or to early..

Heres what i do.

Cut off the ball ends usually i do this about an 1/2 or full inch above the ball end.
Put the strings in the floyd and lock them down.
Then run the strings to the tuners.
Leave and a good inch and a half or two inchs of slack. Basically enough to get 3 turns out of it.
Then start winding to tune.
If you mess up you have a whole lotta extra slack hanging off so you can reverse the winding and pull more slack through if needed and re-wind.
Then once satisfied i cut the slack off and lock the nut.
or, string it with the ball end at the tuner - pull strings taut, measure about 3-4 inches longer than where the strings meet the saddles, cut, clamp, and tune up the slack.