Yes, my review on the UG Album...A masterpiece of sorts.

I'll be rating each song individually.

Track 1- "It Begins" N/A
As weird and crazy...and unconventional "It Begins" is as a title track, I still love it...Haha, whoever put this together deserves a pat on the back.

Track 2- "Run and Hide" 7/10
I love the intro...The verse is very well composed. I also like the style of vocals. The lyrics seem a bit undeveloped to me, but some could argue fit the song well enough. This song gets a little repetitive towards the end in my opinion, but doesn't drag on for too long. A decent 2nd track.

Track 3- "Island Song" 10/10
...It's not suprising how many people love this song. This reggae-overtoned, surf-pop rock song might just be the best track on the album. Great lyrics, great feel, great composition....not to mention the vocals are really chill and fit the song. Awesome song. My favorite on the album. =) .....Where can I find your albums? You could easily get a record deal haha.

Track 4- "Vietnamistan" 8.6/10
A solid, 70's-styled rock ballad song about war. Really fun to listen to. Lyrics are a bit straight-forward but keep a very cinematic feel. I love the bass/guitar on this. The vocals are decent and fit the song well. The 2nd verse doesn't shine as much as the 1st verse lyrically, but still manages to fit the rock-ballad feel. The distortion coming in at 2:44 rocks!

Track 5- "Holden and Sally" 9/10
Another great track. The intro and verse is perfectly composed. The vocals are a bit loud in the mix but they are so fun to listen to it doesn't really matter. Sounds very retro, in the style of 60's/70's surf rock. Some could argue this sounds a bit Strokes-ish as well. Lyrics are perfect. Shiney rock tune.

Track 6- "Calming Storm" 6/10
Personally, this song is a bit mundane in that its just soloing over a progression. It's alright but nothing very memorable.

Track 7- "Vengeance" 7/10
A metal rock song. It's composition is pretty good but the song in general is in some need of vocals. The drums also seem just a bit too high in the mix? That just may be me. Good riffs though. A decent listen. The breakedown around 3:00 is much better than the rest of the song in my opinion.

Track 8- "Dandelion Wine" 9/10
Great composing...very fun listen. Awesome acoustic folky feel to it. A great listen.
I'm just not a big fan of some of the reverb but other than that this is fine.

Track 9- "Cops and Robbers" 8.9/10
A meat and potatoes kind of blues song. Very fun mix and listen. Cool jam feel to it. I'd add vocals in there somewhere may'be but it can be left without em. Soloing is awesome.

Track 10- "We Have Arrived" N/A
I can't really rate this because its really in the eye of the beholder. This is an industrial techno track...completely digital.

Track 11- "Leviathan" 8.8/10
Very fun metal rock song. The rhythm in this is what really makes it a good listen. The soloing around 1:40 comes right in time to add the needed substance..so this track is satisfying. Just add vocals and you have a great song.

Track 12- "A Little Secret" 8/10
A pop-punk rock ditty...It's actually pretty well sang and constructed. The lyrics are ok, but nothing amazing. Decent song. Really just fix the lyrics and you got a great song. Not boring to say the least...lots of energy in this one. Mix and quality is great too.

Track 13- "Back in the Hunt" 8.8/10
Awesome rock song. Great composition. Once again the only thing really holding this back is lack of vocals. =(

Track 14- "Into the Night" 8.8/10
One of the best compositions on here. Great work here on guitar parts and bass rythm. Just a wee bit repetitive but that could be easily fixed with vocals.

Track 15- "Struttin Busted" 9/10
Awesome blues-rock song...Really great. Doesn't get boring at all. Put some vocals on this and you got a truly great song.

Track 16- "Where Will You Go" 8.7/10
Dreamy, bluesy rock song. Great composing. The vocals combined with this music make this a great listen. Has a bit of a 90's feel to it.

Track 17- "Twangimo" 10/10
One of the best songs on here...My favorite besides "Island Song" Funk rock fusion with British overtones, awesome song. You can hear a lot of Chili Pepper influence in the verse. This could easily be a hit. =) Props to the people who wrote and performed this. I gave this a 10/10 simply because I can't see how this could be any better.

Track 18- "Red, White, and Blue" 10/10
Great composing, vocals, and substance to this. The lyrics are also fun and interesting. The mix is superb. Major props. This could be a big hit as well.

Track 19- "The End" N/A

Haha....god....Once again, this is just a fun, hilarious listen. Fun bassy effect on this. Then more instruments come in and build and it becomes a noisy, crazy hilarious ballad. Great ender.

The verdict: A solid 9/10 for a fun and interesting listen of all sorts of styles.

Stand out tracks include "Island Song", "Vietnamistan", "Holden Sally", "Twangimo", and "Red, White and Blue."
Last edited by Radio Addict at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by dio_dude
in the pit olololololol

Oh you
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Listening to it again now, but reading your review...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you really felt the need for vocals.

I don't disagree - I'm only just giving this a serious listen. I just thought it was a bit funny how nearly every song 'could have been improved with vocals' or 'just needs some vocals'.
UG either needs more vocalists...or better instrumentalists.

g/bedit: in all seriousness it was a great effort and I appreciate the time everyone put in just so we could listen. of course, island song is my current favorite.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Mar 21, 2008,
i think the reason he's saying it is because a lot of the songs seemed like they were written with vocals in mind, but didn't have any singers to sing for them, so they just had to make do. and even if that wasn't the case, it's a valid assumption, as many UGers make instrumental songs for the sole reason that they can't sing, or feel they can't sing.
My song really is quite mundane. I must agree. But for a first real attempt at making a decent song I thought it was a good stepping stone, seeing as it got on the album. Nonetheless, I'm gonna work, and eventually rerecord that song.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I agree island song is the most complete song.

I like the blues influenced songs as well.

I like all the songs infact except the techno song ebcause techn is far off my musical taste. It sounds like it is well made for a techno song though.

Maybe I'm going mad but the very last song (the weird song) has grown on me that much that I now really like its madness and randomness. Want another little burst of your weird skills on the next album as well!
Quote by Radio Addict

Track 15- "Struttin Busted" 9/10
Awesome blues-rock song...Really great. Doesn't get boring at all. Put some vocals on this and you got a truly great song.

wow 9/10, i didnt know it was that good.
thanks for the review
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Quote by Radio Addict

Track 17- "Twangimo" 10/10
One of the best songs on here...My favorite besides "Island Song" Funk rock fusion with British overtones, awesome song. You can hear a lot of Chili Pepper influence in the verse. This could easily be a hit. =) Props to the people who wrote and performed this. I gave this a 10/10 simply because I can't see how this could be any better.

Hahaha, I just put this song on, my brother comes into the room and says "Is that Red Hot Chilli Peppers?". Gotta say I lol'd, and this sounds like something off a John Frusciante solo album, although the vocals aren't exactly great.
Quote by soulflyV
Hahaha, I just put this song on, my brother comes into the room and says "Is that Red Hot Chilli Peppers?". Gotta say I lol'd, and this sounds like something off a John Frusciante solo album, although the vocals aren't exactly great.

It's got a murderers type of feel to it.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by soulflyV

yea the vocals seemed lacking at first, but once i realized that there was a british accent to it ( ) and listened to the song a couple more times, the vocals sounded much better, and i really like them now.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I just listened to the whole album and I think it would have been better if Red White and Blue ended it.

Don't get me wrong that weird ass horn thing is cool but the other dong just had the perfect vibe to be the last track,

Red white and blue was totally my favorite track
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.
I AM NOT REPETITIVE.

You get a 10/10 from me
Island song starts out good but goes on waaay too long for what it is.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I just listened to the whole album and I think it would have been better if Red White and Blue ended it.

Don't get me wrong that weird ass horn thing is cool but the other dong just had the perfect vibe to be the last track,

you don't have to listen to it... that's why there's a gap before the horns start in. it's like in Sgt. Peppers, after 'a day in the life.' it has a great ending, but then if you wait like ten seconds, there's that crazy undecipherable thing. do you ever listen to that, just because it's on the album?
Meh, mine really wasn't intended to have vocals. Plus my dancey leanings let me do fairly repetetive stuff without getting bored. If I get a good riff and rhythm, I can jam on it forever and a day