freshtunes
3,057 IQ
I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and also play sax, bass, drums, and piano. Is there a big learning curve to the banjo? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
XxXLuisanXxX
53 IQ
If it it's hard because of fingerpicking, thats dumb. Everyone should be able to play not just with their thumbs, but the middle, index and ring finger. It opens a whole new world of possiblities, take Jerry's Breakdown as an example.
freshtunes
3,057 IQ
Well I've been learning finger picking for a couple months now. Just working out some simple stuff, running through a few lessons and exercises.
mgetz
113 IQ
Its easy if you're half-decent at finger-picking.
Zugunruhe
Guy #2 in Steve Vai's pic
197 IQ
Quote by XxXLuisanXxX
If it it's hard because of fingerpicking, thats dumb. Everyone should be able to play not just with their thumbs, but the middle, index and ring finger. It opens a whole new world of possiblities, take Jerry's Breakdown as an example.
winwinwinwinwinwinwin. this individual wins.

i only fingerpick nowadays. single notes arent enough of a high anymore.

clawhammer is a pretty hard technique, but its damn impressive. anyway, youre gonna learn to fingerpick. its a very cool instrument when well played.
I have no opinion on this matter.
reaper_x
No. Just... No.
717 IQ
i can play the banjo with my teeth and both my hands tied behind my back while
having sex with Carmen Electra in the gym while doing weights.

i know, im god.
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by XxXLuisanXxX
You obviously know nothing about it.

The fingerpicking is only a small part of the difficulty.

1 - The strings are under more tension than most guitars. The left hand works harder, too.

2 - Banjo is "percussive". It sustains for a much shorter time than a guitar. So parts written for the banjo tend to have many more notes in the same length of time.

3 - There are several different "standard" tunings for the banjo. NONE of them are the same as the tuning on a guitar.

4 - The 5th string on the banjo doesn't go all the way to the nut. That's just bloody weird.

It's a very different instrument from the guitar.
The ability to play guitar is only a small advantage when learning the banjo.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
freshtunes
3,057 IQ
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You obviously know nothing about it.

The fingerpicking is only a small part of the difficulty.

1 - The strings are under more tension than most guitars. The left hand works harder, too.

2 - Banjo is "percussive". It sustains for a much shorter time than a guitar. So parts written for the banjo tend to have many more notes in the same length of time.

3 - There are several different "standard" tunings for the banjo. NONE of them are the same as the tuning on a guitar.

4 - The 5th string on the banjo doesn't go all the way to the nut. That's just bloody weird.

It's a very different instrument from the guitar.
The ability to play guitar is only a small advantage when learning the banjo.

I like a challenge. Where is your sense of adventure?
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by freshtunes
I like a challenge. Where is your sense of adventure?
imho adventures are meant to be hot, wet and sticky. But to each their own. Go for it, dude.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball
1,880 IQ
I'm trying to learn too. It's not easy. Good luck though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
sheppard30
214 IQ
I think for good fingerpicking players it will be easy.
I never played banjo, but ive seen some tabs and the chords are pretty easy, its just fast constant fingerpicking. I think it will be hard to get used to banjo tunings.
blynd_snyper
Grand
584 IQ
I can play it, it's really not that bad.

Once you've got past the adjustment it really isn't hard to pick it up. There are enough tutorials on youtube to turn you into a decent player. Of course the fingerpicks are weird, as is the feeling of trying to fingerpick in a new way, but you get used to it very quickly.

Go for it, unless you have no sense of rhythm it'll be fairly easy.