I just recently decided to play bass (because I like the sound and I have 2 friends who play guitar and a friend thats a drummer that want me to start a band with them) and I've been playing guitar for a year and a half. I'm very versatile, I play pretty much anything except country (I even play rap, jazz, and blues) and I would like to find the most versatile amp possible under this price range, and I'd prefer if I didn't have to buy it used. My choice has been an Orange 35B so far and that's all I've been suggested.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orcr35bbaamp.html\

Pros/Cons of this amp would be greatly appreciated as well as advice on other amps in this price range too.

Also, as a side note I would like to add I don't even own a bass yet. I'm going to be getting a Peavey Millinieum 5 string though.

Thanks for reading/posting.

EDIT: Due to the fact I couldn't get enough wattage for $250, I have changed the price to $350.
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Last edited by Dilweed at Mar 21, 2008,
^ I hope that someday people will get the message and stop spamming on these forums!

*Reported*
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
I haven't much experience with Orange amps, but by word of mouth they are a very reliable brand. And you made a great choice of bass, it'll last for years and years.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Faq
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
/\ yes, I have checked the FAQ, but I figured it'd also be worth hearing from people on which amp to buy, and to Pizza the Hut, it's obviously a joke...
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
ok, for $250, you are not going to find an amp that will compete with 2 guitarists and a drummer new. You need in the 100-300 watt range to be heard well. 100 watts is the bare minimum for jamming with a drummer + guitarists. The more watts the better. I'd look at used stuff, on your local craigslist or ebay or wherever. You might exceed your $250 limit a bit, but you'll be better off in the long run. Some brands to look for would be hartke, ashdown, gallien krueger, swr, carvin, and ampeg. But, whatever you do, avoid behringer and crate brands. They look great for the price, but there is a reason for that. Hope this helps.
live to jam and jam to live
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I hope you sig is supposed to be sarcastic or some kind of joke.

Spam--if you have issues with his signature, take it to a PM to the user. Warned.

On the Orange 35. Nice amp, very solid, great bass-y tone. Some people find it too 'meh', but I liked it, but there was serious backorder issue in my area of the world.

Are you going to be gigging with this amp? While a nice little loud cousin of its bigger brothers, this really isn't going to get you heard in a band situation.
Quote by 4 string man
ok, for $250, you are not going to find an amp that will compete with 2 guitarists and a drummer new. You need in the 100-300 watt range to be heard well. 100 watts is the bare minimum for jamming with a drummer + guitarists. The more watts the better. I'd look at used stuff, on your local craigslist or ebay or wherever. You might exceed your $250 limit a bit, but you'll be better off in the long run. Some brands to look for would be hartke, ashdown, gallien krueger, swr, carvin, and ampeg. But, whatever you do, avoid behringer and crate brands. They look great for the price, but there is a reason for that. Hope this helps.

I guess I will have to exceed my price range then, because I will play with them, but probably not gig with them for a long time (but that time I'd have enough money to get a new bass amp, and I wouldn't be good enough to gig any time soon because I don't know a single song on bass yet). The guitar players have a 40 watt tube fender (I think it's a hot rod?) and the other...well, is getting a new amp soon as well (he just has a starter solid state amp currently). Let's say I extend the price range to...$350 - $400. , what could I be able to get then?
Quote by FireandFlames