So i want to get an electric guitar over the next week or so, but i dont know anything about them, all i have is acoustic.
Can you recommend some?
and the most i can pay for it is, 145euro ( which is 224 dollars).
Enough about me, lets talk about you for a minute
Enough about you lets talk about life for a while
The conflicts , the craziness, and the sound of pretenses falling all around....
id keep saving...your not really gonna find a good guitar of any sort for that much unless you get a killer used deal or someone in your family works as a music shop
Quote by xx619xx
what kind of music r u into?

im into to alternative, rock , all types really.
But mostly alternative.
The conflicts , the craziness, and the sound of pretenses falling all around....
Some affinity series Squier would be my suggestion.

Stay away from Epiphones in that price range please.
Quote by ch0
Some affinity series Squier would be my suggestion.

Stay away from Epiphones in that price range please.

thanx for the tip, i heard about epiphones beofre not sure what makes them different though lol
its kinda crap how guitars are so expensive.
i retract my previous statement...take a look at www.guitarfetish.com i bought a sweet es 335 copy from them last year and its my main guitar now. they have an lp copy for under 200 and they ship world wide
145euros won't actually equal up to 224. We pay more for guitars here in europe, remember. So that 145 euros will actually get you the same as... well, about $150 will in America. I.e. nothing.

Save up much more money. You'll need at least around 550-650 euros to get a guitar and amp that isn't complete trash.
Quote by bokuho
145euros won't actually equal up to 224. We pay more for guitars here in europe, remember. So that 145 euros will actually get you the same as... well, about $150 will in America. I.e. nothing.

Save up much more money. You'll need at least around 550-650 euros to get a guitar and amp that isn't complete trash.

i cant afford any more than that though, im just looking for tips on how to get the best deal i can with this money.
I really really want an electric , so its important that i get one, if i want to play the songs ive wanted to, its annoying me trying to play songs on acoustic which are meant for electric.
Quote by jonnyf
thanx for the tip, i heard about epiphones beofre not sure what makes them different though lol
its kinda crap how guitars are so expensive.
The guitars in your price ranger offered by Epiphone are really butchered versions of Gibson classics. They feel like guitars made by people who have no interest in music...

With a Squier you're at least getting a reasonably faithful recreation of a classic. I've played on many a Squier Stratocaster that had me smiling. Wish that was something I could say with Epiphone.

Of course, the best advice so far in this thread is to just hold off on buying a guitar for now and save your money. Back when I started I got an Epiphone Les Paul Junior for $75. It was a waste of $75 dollars as I almost immediately wanted something better.

I'd wait till you can afford around $400 for a guitar. All of my most commonly played guitars were around $400, it seems like a good amount to pay.
Quote by ch0
The guitars in your price ranger offered by Epiphone are really butchered versions of Gibson classics. They feel like guitars made by people who have no interest in music...

With a Squier you're at least getting a reasonably faithful recreation of a classic. I've played on many a Squier Stratocaster that had me smiling. Wish that was something I could say with Epiphone.

Of course, the best advice so far in this thread is to just hold off on buying a guitar for now and save your money. Back when I started I got an Epiphone Les Paul Junior for $75. It was a waste of $75 dollars as I almost immediately wanted something better.

I'd wait till you can afford around $400 for a guitar. All of my most commonly played guitars were around $400, it seems like a good amount to pay.

you may be right.
its not very fair to people who dont have a lot of money and want to play guitar though.
i think they should be cheaper, or at least make the cheaper ones better quality.
There could be amazing guitarists out there, but they just cant afford to buy one.
Quote by jonnyf
i cant afford any more than that though, im just looking for tips on how to get the best deal i can with this money.
I really really want an electric , so its important that i get one, if i want to play the songs ive wanted to, its annoying me trying to play songs on acoustic which are meant for electric.
Then sorry, but you're pretty stuffed. A guitar (and I assume an amp too?) for 145 euro? No chance.

Electric guitar is an expensive hobby or career. Even bad gear is going to cost you a couple of hundred. You have to be prepared for this expense, and you have to be willing to wait and get more money. There is simply no point in buying something cheap and bad now just because you're in a rush, when that means you're going to have to replace it in just three month's time when it falls apart in your hands. In the long run, you save more money by only buying a better quality instrument and amp to start with. It's better to wait and buy quality rather than rush in and waste your money.

Patience is the key.

Quote by jonnyf
you may be right.
its not very fair to people who dont have a lot of money and want to play guitar though.
i think they should be cheaper, or at least make the cheaper ones better quality.
There could be amazing guitarists out there, but they just cant afford to buy one.
If someone is dedicated enough to any instrument to be that good, then they're also dedicated to get together enough money and get proper gear, however much that might cost.

And no, it is fair. Materials for guitars cost a lot, it costs a lot to keep those production lines going. And frankly, a few hundred isn't actually that much for most people, when they have a regular income (job) and if it's for something they really love (guitar).

Yes, some of the really cheap guitars could be better - but that's why they're cheap, because they're rubbish.
Last edited by bokuho at Mar 21, 2008,
Musical instruments are a luxury and companies like gibson and fender know that people will pay up the bum for a musical instrument with their logo. They make killer guitars but at the same time drive up the prices of all other guitars around them. Even the cheapest copies start at around 100 bucks...and you dont wanna play a 100 dollar guitar. Hold out for a little bit and see if you can shop around. Believe me it will be worth the wait and you wont just be getting any old guitar, youll get one you actually want. I was incredibly lucky with my first guitar (60 dollar strat copy) but even then i had to change out the neck and body within 2 years because of the condition of the frets and the destruction to the body (i was at least the 3rd owner and it went from being blue when it was bought off the shelf to a really nice green color).

Delayed gratification sucks but its gonna be that much better if you wait...
Quote by bokuho
Then sorry, but you're pretty stuffed. A guitar (and I assume an amp too?) for 145 euro? No chance.

Electric guitar is an expensive hobby or career. Even bad gear is going to cost you a couple of hundred. You have to be prepared for this expense, and you have to be willing to wait and get more money. There is simply no point in buying something cheap and bad now just because you're in a rush, when that means you're going to have to replace it in just three month's time when it falls apart in your hands. In the long run, you save more money by only buying a better quality instrument and amp to start with. It's better to wait and buy quality rather than rush in and waste your money.

Patience is the key.

I guess your probably right, but they're just so cool!!
i love my acoustic , but an electric is so much better in my eyes, the amazing sound you can get out of one.
I was looking at them in the music store, and i saw one really expensive one, it was so amazing, in my favorite colour as well, i could hold out for that i suppose, but i have other things to save for as well, which sucks.
Quote by cloud_x_13
What kind of guitar are you looking at? got any pics or links to it?
nah i dont what it is, but i can find out and send you a link after i go back to the shop (which i will cause i cant stop looking at them lol)
lol well how much is it? i bet its not as expensive as you think. Get a few odd jobs or if your old enough get a real job. Thats what i did and i have 7 guitars and basses now...plus 2 amps a GNX4 a ....you get the idea
Quote by cloud_x_13
lol well how much is it? i bet its not as expensive as you think. Get a few odd jobs or if your old enough get a real job. Thats what i did and i have 7 guitars and basses now...plus 2 amps a GNX4 a ....you get the idea

its 299euro, which is pretty expensive, but it just looks incredible, i wouldnt care about spending that much money on it to be honest lol
Quote by jonnyf
you may be right.

i agree 100%.

Quote by bokuho

Patience is the key.

If someone is dedicated enough to any instrument to be that good, then they're also dedicated to get together enough money and get proper gear, however much that might cost.

And no, it is fair. Materials for guitars cost a lot, it costs a lot to keep those production lines going. And frankly, a few hundred isn't actually that much for most people, when they have a regular income (job) and if it's for something they really love (guitar).

Yes, some of the really cheap guitars could be better - but that's why they're cheap, because they're rubbish.

not all cheap guitars are complete rubbish. alot of people on here, no offence guys, just jump on the newest bandwagon. you dont need to spend $2000 to get good gear. i saved two years to get what i have now, and even though ive got a £700 guitar i still play my £80 squire and that hasnt 'fallen apart' in 4 years and still plays alright.

TS: try and save a tiny little bit more, around 200. Then you could get maybe a cube 15X for an amp.. guitar wise try squire or check out Agiles theyre pretty good bang for buck. But always try before you buy and if something feels right to you then go for it, just because someone on here doesnt like an $90 epiphone doesnt mean you'll feel the same way.

The other thing everyone else is forgetting is its his FIRST electric he isnt gunna be playing arena's any time soon i guess.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by bodomfan666
i agree 100%.

not all cheap guitars are complete rubbish. alot of people on here, no offence guys, just jump on the newest bandwagon. you dont need to spend $2000 to get good gear. i saved two years to get what i have now, and even though ive got a £700 guitar i still play my £80 squire and that hasnt 'fallen apart' in 4 years and still plays alright.

TS: try and save a tiny little bit more, around 200. Then you could get maybe a cube 15X for an amp.. guitar wise try squire or check out Agiles theyre pretty good bang for buck. But always try before you buy and if something feels right to you then go for it, just because someone on here doesnt like an $90 epiphone doesnt mean you'll feel the same way.

The other thing everyone else is forgetting is its his FIRST electric he isnt gunna be playing arena's any time soon i guess.

thats very good advice thanks
and your right im not looking for a top class guitar (although that would be nice lol)
just something to get me started , and then maybe i can actually understand what people are talking about when they mention amps and tremolo and all that talk lol
Well I agree totally with try before you buy...Alot of brands have "beginer starter kits"...i'd try stay away from those if i was you, almost everyone i know who has bought them was disappointed..that being said some of my mates have actually got themselves quite nice instruments out of those...my first electric was a $70 les paul copy...that i bought because i, in my infinite wisdom figured "hey it looks like a les paul! it MUST be good!!"...i couldn't be more wrong...the action was 5ft high even after being lowered...the pick ups were absolute ****, the machine heads were just about falling off and my tone controlls came loose.. so i think the best piece of advice you've been given is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY...dont just get it cos some guy says "its the best"
Like it has been said here, try before you buy. Although some starter kit guitars can be good. For example, I bought a Yamaha EG112 starter kit and that guitar was great although the amp... not so much.
Save up more man, get a decent amp and guitar, it'll be totally worth it. And remember, amp is more important than guitar.
Save up for 200-250 € and buy a decent starter pack like Ibanez, Squier or whatever you want.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah