Page 1 of 2
EDIT: I decided to change this thread into a discussion of first wave death metal, not just Insanity. For me, the death metal that came about from 84-89 is the best subgenre of metal, because it is everything I look for in metal. It's fast, heavy, killer riffs, and ****in evil. Bands that exemplify this style include:

Insanity (USA)
Necrovore
Nihilist
Savage Death
Terminal Death
Possessed
Psychic Possessor
Condemnation
early Autopsy
early Morbid Angel
early Death
early Obituary
Death Bringer
some Death Courier
Death Strike
Deathnoise
Deceased
Dr Shrinker
Fatal
Genocidio
Hadez
Hellpreacher
early Impetigo
early Invocator
Massacre
Master
Messiah
Morbid
Mutilated
Necrodeath
Order From Chaos
Pentagram (Chile)
early Ripping Corpse
Vulcano
Holocausto

The USA death metal band. Anyone that says Necrovore started death metal has obviously not heard Insanity's rehearsal demo from 1985. It is far more brutal than anything before 1985 and most things after. And it's ****in good. Hunt it down and listen now
Last edited by MHDrunk at Mar 21, 2008,
Who the hell said Necrovore started death metal? Possessed's demo was out in 1984. Go and find out what you're talking about.

Also, links?
Possessed is generally accepted as more thrash than death. And no links, find it for yourself you lazy ****
The first song on their demo was called 'Death Metal', thus coining the term. Musically, they had far more in common with death than thrash. They also released their demo before Insanity, --> did it first. Insanity, from what I can tell, supported Possessed on several tours. So I wonder who was there first?

I can't find their music anywhere. It's commonly accepted that threads like this will die if the TS is a lazy douchebag who preaches without backing up, so GET SOME LINKS. I'm not wasting time doing your job.
Last edited by webbtje at Mar 21, 2008,
Venom coined the term Black Metal without being Black Meta in the slightest. Wouldn't you agree. I said it's generally accepted, when speaking with people who actually know their death metal, that Possessed, instead of being death metal were highly influential. Insanity, on the other hand, put something out in 1985 that you would expect to find around 1991-93. Get on soulseek and search for it, I'm not preaching about some local band, if this thread was on Necrovore or Death Strike noone would ask me for links.
So you want me to go on Soulseek and illegally download the music of this band you like so much? Count me out.
It's not illegal to download a demo from 23 years ago, that's not even officially released.
I think you'll find it was Venom that coined the term 'death metal' they often called them selves that in interviews, the sources are online somewhere.

I always thought that Repulsion were very important too. Although lying in the grind side of things they upped the ante on speed from around mid 84 onwards, and their Genocide demo and 'Horrified' album have a good deal of the elements that florida and Stockholm bands would soon incorporate into their sound towards the end of the 80's.

Also worth a meantion is Slaughter with the '**** of Death' **** they did, Chuch Schuldiner was even going to jin them at one point.
Last edited by mortiis999 at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by mortiis999
I think you'll find it was Venom that coined the term 'death metal' they often called them selves that in interviews, the sources are online somewhere.

I always thought that Repulsion were very important too. Although lying in the grind side of things they upped the ante on speed from around mid 84 onwards, and their Genocide demo and 'Horrified' album have a good deal of the elements that florida and Stockholm bands would soon incorporate into their sound towards the end of the 80's.

Also worth a meantion is Slaughter with the '**** of Death' **** they did, Chuch Schuldiner was even going to jin them at one point.

I'm not saying that Insanity are the only important band, and noone else was. Far from it. Insanity were in my opinion the first band that brought it all together and if you heard the demo I'm talking about you would definitely agree that it's at least six years ahead of its time.

Also, Chuck Schuldiner did collaborate with Slaughter in 1986 for one demo, and the outfit was called "The Curse"
"Venom" coined Black Metal mortiis, well at least Im pretty sure they did.
Naming their demo in 1982 'Black Metal' and using the term in all of their interviews.

Possessed were the first to use the term 'Death Metal' (their demo), but many believe it was the band Death that the genre was named after.

Quote by webbtje

I can't find their music anywhere. It's commonly accepted that threads like this will die if the TS is a lazy douchebag who preaches without backing up, so GET SOME LINKS. I'm not wasting time doing your job.

His job? The TS made a thread about a band he wanted to promote and discuss.
If you have the interest you will do your own research.

Some us have a genuine interest in the genre, and will happily spend time researching and listening to new bands.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Mortiis is write that Venom coined the term black metal and death metal. You have to realise, that back then, black metal and death were not the same as they are now. In 1982, Venom were black metal, although now they aren't considered anywhere near it. Even as soon as 1984, with first wave bands like Bathory, Hellhammer, Semen Of Satan, etc Venom were no longer considered black metal.

First wave death metal bands like Possessed, Death Strike, Deceased and so on, are very different from second wave bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, Infester etc
^ Morbid Angel are virtually first wave DM though aren't they? I think they canned an album that had an '87 prospective release date and were active from around late '83 from what i remember from interviews ( I haven't read that source in a year though, so I may be wrong).
Quote by MHDrunk
Mortiis is write that Venom coined the term black metal and death metal. You have to realise, that back then, black metal and death were not the same as they are now. In 1982, Venom were black metal, although now they aren't considered anywhere near it. Even as soon as 1984, with first wave bands like Bathory, Hellhammer, Semen Of Satan, etc Venom were no longer considered black metal.

First wave death metal bands like Possessed, Death Strike, Deceased and so on, are very different from second wave bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, Infester etc

yea but wheres the evidence they actually coined the term 'death metal'?

Morbid Angel were in the first 'wave' of Death Metal.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by mortiis999
^ Morbid Angel are virtually first wave DM though aren't they? I think they canned an album that had an '87 prospective release date and were active from around late '83 from what i remember from interviews ( I haven't read that source in a year though, so I may be wrong).

When I mentioned Morbid Angel, I meant their stuff like Blessed Are The Sick, Covenant - that stuff is second wave. Altars Of Madness I guess is like 1.5 wave or something haha
^^ I think there is a quote form a magazine of the time of them saying somehting along the lies of "We're Black metal, death metal, power metal, venom metal, but not heavy metal thats for the chicks" in the booklet of the reissued "Black Metal". There is another interview where they call themselves death metal which is online somewhere. That is also from the 'Black Metal' era.
Quote by 11thHour
yea but wheres the evidence they actually coined the term 'death metal'?

Morbid Angel were in the first 'wave' of Death Metal.

The evidence is that it's widely known that they did
Quote by mortiis999
^^ I think there is a quote form a magazine of the time of them saying somehting along the lies of "We're Black metal, death metal, power metal, venom metal, but not heavy metal thats for the chicks" in the booklet of the reissued "Black Metal". There is another interview where they call themselves death metal which is online somewhere. That is also from the 'Black Metal' era.

yea, that quote would either be in the Black Metal liner notes or the At War With Satan ones.
Sure they may have assisted.

But its surely either Possessed or Death who deserve the credit of actually baptizing the genre?
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
Last edited by 11thHour at Mar 21, 2008,
Quote by 11thHour
Sure they may have assisted.

But its surely either Possessed or Death who deserve the credit of actually baptizing the genre?

Not really. Because Possessed's Seven Churches and preceeding demos were more thrash than death (by our modern standards) and Death were the same up to Scream Bloody Gore. You would have to hear this demo to understand what I'm talking about.

Insanity - Live Rehearsal 1985

password is www.thrashmageddon.com
Im also downloading, out of curiosity more than anything.

Quote by MHDrunk
Not really. Because Possessed's Seven Churches and preceeding demos were more thrash than death (by our modern standards) and Death were the same up to Scream Bloody Gore. You would have to hear this demo to understand what I'm talking about.

Insanity - Live Rehearsal 1985

password is www.thrashmageddon.com

I think if you read my post you will see im reffering to the coining of the TERM of Death Metal not the music itself.

And I think even if Insanitys music was more 'Death metal' then other demos in that era, it mightnt have necessarily of had the same impact or popularity as Possessed or Death, hence why it influenced the genre less.

Sure Death may not have been as heavy, but their music was being appreciated and listened to by a much wider audience at the time. Which means it would have had a much larger impact on the future of the genre than Insanitys work.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by 11thHour
Im also downloading, out of curiosity more than anything.

I think if you read my post you will see im reffering to the coining of the TERM of Death Metal not the music itself.

And I think even if Insanitys music was more 'Death metal' then other demos in that era, it mightnt have necessarily of had the same impact or popularity as Possessed or Death, hence why it influenced the genre less.

Sure Death may not have been as heavy, but their music was being appreciated and listened to by a much wider audience at the time. Which means it would have had a much larger impact on the future of the genre than Insanitys work.

OK, well then we can agree that Venom coined the term

I'm not discussing the impact of the demo I'm discussing how death metal it is, and how its more death metal than anything Possessed, Death or anyone had released up to that time. I would go so far as to say its more death metal than Necrovore or Nihilist
Quote by MHDrunk
OK, well then we can agree that Venom coined the term

No. Death and Possessed both had a significant role in coining the term.

I believe all three bands made a contribution to the genres title, and crediting one with it is unfair.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
Impressive. The term really did come from so many sources.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
ok, lets agree that its impossible to track the coining of the phrase death metal to one band

i think we should turn this thread into a discussion of first wave death metal in general
generally speaking, i'd say second wave came about when death metal became truly its own genre, with little to no thrash in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL3kifo0vFU

Some cool videos on youtube of the early Death Metal bands.
Interviews, live footage, documentaries and such.

So brutal, and before their time. Necrovore

Quote by MHDrunk
generally speaking, i'd say second wave came about when death metal became truly its own genre, with little to no thrash in it

Yes.

The first wave of Death Metal (like the first wave of black metal) is basically border line thrash just more extreme.
Quote by IbanezSA160a

Black/Folk Metal
So did you guys end up listening to that Insanity? And how do you all like Psychic Possessor - zombie night demo and toxin diffusion are killer. id rather pretend their last album didnt exist
Thread revival with a link! I liked blood for blood, and listening to sacrefixion right now, pretty good stuff though, I'm in the mood for some old school death metal.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=9170330
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I'm guessing you got their album Death After Death? Good stuff
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
^Not yet, I think I will though, I like what I heard from them.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Page 1 of 2