Hello, I used the search bar but I couldn't find anything. I've become increasingly interested in guys like Eric Clapton, SRV, and John Frusciante; All prominent strat users. After I buy a new amp later this year, I think I'm going to get a MIM. The only experience I have with these guitars is my friend's 2001 Mexican strat which had a maple fretboard. So I decided I would get one with a maple fretboard but then I learned that they don't make strats with maple fretboards anymore, atleast the Mexican ones. Is this true?

Also is there much of a difference between maple and rosewood in terms of tone? or am I just being picky?

thanks

~Michael
The biggest difference in fretboards isn't the tone it's the feel. Rosewood fretboard do have a slightly darker tone, but it isn't enough to really worry about. On the otherhand, the FEEL of the fretboards is something to worry about. Go to you local guitar shop and try guitars with rosewood and guitars with maple and see what you think.
Not taking any online orders.
Of course they still make Strats with maple fretboard! As CorduroyEW said, maple is slightly brighter than rosewood, but nothing really important. The only difference you should worry about is the feel, so try both and choose the one you feel better with.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by guitarnoobie
Hello, I used the search bar but I couldn't find anything. I've become increasingly interested in guys like Eric Clapton, SRV, and John Frusciante; All prominent strat users. After I buy a new amp later this year, I think I'm going to get a MIM. The only experience I have with these guitars is my friend's 2001 Mexican strat which had a maple fretboard. So I decided I would get one with a maple fretboard but then I learned that they don't make strats with maple fretboards anymore, atleast the Mexican ones. Is this true?

Also is there much of a difference between maple and rosewood in terms of tone? or am I just being picky?

thanks

~Michael

Don't know how the search bar failed to find anything as this subject comes up very often.

There is very little between the two so it really is up to you, which one looks and feels nicer to you. Not sure about Stevie Ray Vaughan, but Eric Clapton certainly uses both.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Andy Jarvis
Don't know how the search bar failed to find anything as this subject comes up very often.

There is very little between the two so it really is up to you, which one looks and feels nicer to you. Not sure about Stevie Ray Vaughan, but Eric Clapton certainly uses both.

SRV's Lenny has a maple board:

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap

I thought it did but I couldn't find a picture quick enough so rather than make an arse of my self I played safe.

BTW Hendrix used both Rosewood and Maple.

Either would suit your needs.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Last edited by Andy Jarvis at Mar 21, 2008,
I ordered a MIM Strat a few years ago thinking I'd prefer the rosewood fretboard, but of course now wish I had gotten the maple. It's a great guitar, but I think the maple just has a little more classic "snap".
Quote by Bonsaischaap

His #1 had a Pao Ferro fretboard, though.

It's just a matter of what feels better, the fretboard's not got much impact on your tone.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
yeah it wont effect the sound noticably, but its about the feel and what kinda look you prefer

i went with rosewood as imo with sunburst that looks awesome
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
^^ Nope, SRV's Number One had a veneer rosewood fretboard! The neck itself was from December '62.
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Mahoru
^^ Nope, SRV's Number One had a veneer rosewood fretboard! The neck itself was from December '62.

Urm, it was mos def Pao Ferro.

The signature one has Brazilian rosewood, I think.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by kyle62
The tone difference is minor but you will notice, and the feel is very much a subjective thing. Just try 'em both and see which one works out best for you.

Agreed. I think maple changes the tone more than rosewood actually, or better put: maple has more impact ony our tone than rosewood.
i just bought a MIM strat with maple...you can get them easily
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by rhcp_freak
Urm, it was mos def Pao Ferro.

The signature one has Brazilian rosewood, I think.

The signature is the one that has the pao ferro fretboard.

And about his own guitar, here's all the info man can get about it

http://www.stevieray.com/gear.htm

BTW, congrats to Bornlivedie UK for the new strat
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I have a american fender strat with a maple fret board, does any1 no how 2 make the neck dirty quick! haha. They look better dirty than brand ****in new.
Quote by Luke.Zeppelin
I have a american fender strat with a maple fret board, does any1 no how 2 make the neck dirty quick! haha. They look better dirty than brand ****in new.

I've seen Fender using a Dremel for aging maple boards.

Aging a maple board isn't easy though and it's usually very easy to spot the relic'ed ones from genuine old boards.

The best solution is to just play the hell out of it.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I've seen Fender using a Dremel for aging maple boards.

Aging a maple board isn't easy though and it's usually very easy to spot the relic'ed ones from genuine old boards.

The best solution is to just play the hell out of it.

kk thanks man
I prefer the feel of rosewood personally. It just feels smoother to me.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.