So, I've now completed the mods to my Valveking 212 (Speakers and tubes replaced) and decided to invest in a Bad Monkey for it's ability to push the pre-amps.
I play with a load of Gain at the best of times, so feedback is inevitable, but with the Bad Monkey I just can't seem to turn any of the settings up at all without it screeching like a banshee, and not only that, even when I turn it to a setting that's half way tolerable, I find I get more gain and bass without the pedal on!
It's actually starting to look like the Speaker and Tube replacements were more than enough for the Gain I needed, but even so, I'm not going to just ditch the pedal.

I'm guessing it's mainly down to feedback that I've not been able to get a more broken up Gain (it hurts too much to turn up the pedal) so I've got a few questions...

I'm connecting the Guitar to the Pedal to the High Output Jack, could this be the problem?

I'm using some crappy cord to connect the pedal to the Amp, any chance this is the problem?

Could a noise gate help me here?
Jackson DK2M - White
Peavey Valveking 212
Ernie Ball - Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom strings
What are the settings that you use on the Valveking?

Anyway, try keeping the gain knob on the pedal at 0 and using the volume/level control as a boost. See if that gives you a better sound.
I'll give that a go ^^
I'm currently using cranked Gain, Bass 10 o'clock, Mids scooped, Cranked Treble and a little reverb, I tried mucking with the Gain on the amp with the pedal on but all I got was some flimsy sounding gain and a load of feedback.
Jackson DK2M - White
Peavey Valveking 212
Well, I'm almost certain that the fact you have the gain maxed out and that particular EQ setting has something to do with it. It might be worth trying a more conventional EQ with lower gain, then working from there, because what you have now is sort of asking for trouble :/
Quote by Denthúl
Well, I'm almost certain that the fact you have the gain maxed out and that particular EQ setting has something to do with it. It might be worth trying a more conventional EQ with lower gain, then working from there, because what you have now is sort of asking for trouble :/

Yeah, I did try adjusting the gain a fair bit, but it seemed that no matter what kinda' setting I put it at, I got some mad screeching, I even re-set my EQ, all at 12 O clock and went from there but was kinda' unable to find a happy medium, I still found I could get more bass presence and Gain from the amp on it's own, I'm not giving up just yet though xD

I do notice that even when the Pedals off I get some nasty feedback, unless I plug the ol' Guitar straight into the Jack, so I have a feeling the cable might have something to answer for.
Jackson DK2M - White
Peavey Valveking 212
Quote by mattyvsmithy
So, I've now completed the mods to my Valveking 212 (Speakers and tubes replaced) and decided to invest in a Bad Monkey for it's ability to push the pre-amps.
I play with a load of Gain at the best of times, so feedback is inevitable, but with the Bad Monkey I just can't seem to turn any of the settings up at all without it screeching like a banshee, and not only that, even when I turn it to a setting that's half way tolerable, I find I get more gain and bass without the pedal on!
It's actually starting to look like the Speaker and Tube replacements were more than enough for the Gain I needed, but even so, I'm not going to just ditch the pedal.

I'm guessing it's mainly down to feedback that I've not been able to get a more broken up Gain (it hurts too much to turn up the pedal) so I've got a few questions...

I'm connecting the Guitar to the Pedal to the High Output Jack, could this be the problem?

I'm using some crappy cord to connect the pedal to the Amp, any chance this is the problem?

Could a noise gate help me here?

Sure you didn't pick up a bad tube. It does happen.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Sure you didn't pick up a bad tube. It does happen.

Well, one was DOA but the others were fine, feedback hasn't really been a problem until I got the pedal, I mean, I DO feedback since I use a lot of gain, but with this pedal, even when I mute the strings I get deafened, although I've been messing with it a bit and have almost got a nice sound down, but I'm starting to think it's kinda pointless really since there's almost no distinguishable difference between the Gain I get from the Amp :\
Jackson DK2M - White
Peavey Valveking 212
Turn the gain on the pedal to 0 is my advice. That's how you use it to boost I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You have to experiment. I get plenty of sustainable feed back with my twin set only at 2 for volume but I'm using an Mi audio crunchbox to do it. And there is no hotside to a twin.All I'm saying is you shouldn't neeed to dime your amp to get feedback.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Thanks for the support guys, I've been tinkering about a bit and am getting to grips with the pedal a bit better now (keep in mind this is the first day I've mucked about with it properly due to College)

I've likely been going about setting it incorrectly, since all I want is a "boost" to the Gain, there's no point in adding more Gain over the top of it, as Fama and someone else pointed out, the Pedals gain should be set to 0.

I'm gonna' mess with it some more, but if anyone has anything else to throw into the mix, feel free.
Jackson DK2M - White
Peavey Valveking 212
I have the same pedal and the settings I use are - Gain at ZERO all the time! the Level at 5 or 7, Low at 7,High at 9 or 10. This setting works fine for me.
i dont get much feedback even with the gain on max on my bad monkey. maybe u got a faulty pedal?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by mattyvsmithy
I'll give that a go ^^
I'm currently using cranked Gain, Bass 10 o'clock, Mids scooped, Cranked Treble and a little reverb, I tried mucking with the Gain on the amp with the pedal on but all I got was some flimsy sounding gain and a load of feedback.

Thats a really crappy EQ there, no offense.

Try a few things. First, crank the level on the Monkey, put the EQs to flat (12 o'clock), and put the gain at maybe 9 o'clock. Then fix your amp EQ.
You have an alder bodied guitar with a ridiculously trebly pickup in it (JB), therefore, you don't need anywhere near that much treble. Now turn your gain way lower than you usually do, then add a little bass, and a LOT of mids. Put your mids at half at the very least, even for nu-metal or something.

NOW you can start adding gain on the pedal and the amp, and tweak the settings as desired.
Quote by which ones pink
Thats a really crappy EQ there, no offense.

Try a few things. First, crank the level on the Monkey, put the EQs to flat (12 o'clock), and put the gain at maybe 9 o'clock. Then fix your amp EQ.
You have an alder bodied guitar with a ridiculously trebly pickup in it (JB), therefore, you don't need anywhere near that much treble. Now turn your gain way lower than you usually do, then add a little bass, and a LOT of mids. Put your mids at half at the very least, even for nu-metal or something.

NOW you can start adding gain on the pedal and the amp, and tweak the settings as desired.

Well those were the settings I was using before I got the Pedal, and they sounded good then, of course when I first plugged it in I set everything to flat and re-EQ'ed, I was just giving an example of the kinda' EQ I usually use pedal-less, I'll take your advice and give those settings a try, I have a slight feeling that the room I'm in might be adding to the Feedback somewhat, I'm also thinking of investing in an Noise Suppressor for this reason.
Jackson DK2M - White
Peavey Valveking 212