So basically I bought a new bass last summer, and the action on it was really low, and it made masses of noise on every note. They'd vibrate on the frets all over, and everytime I hit an open one I'd hear a sort of little click with the note. I raised the action up which sorted it a bit, but now the action is as high as it can possibly go and the noise is still there somewhat. My bass teacher said he thought the nut seemed quite low so could that be the problem? Basically I just want to know why it's so noisy so I can try and fix it.

Cheers
Take it to a Luthier or guitar shop who do set ups.

Ask for their advice, they can adjust the truss rod for you correctly to help prevent this fret buzz occuring. If they say the nut is unnaturally low, go to a luthier (their rates are probably cheaper than guitar shops) and ask him to fit a new nut, you'll have to pay for the new nut (from a couple of dollars to $20+) and labour.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I had a similar issue recently with my Ibanez. I live in a climate where the humidity can range from really dry to monsoon like in a few months, so it does play havoc on instruments. A quick truss rod adjustment sorted it out. Yes, a good set up does cost money, but I look at is as a gift to my bass and myself, and considered it in the same league as taking a car in for a yearly tune up. Its worth it, esp. if you are having issues.
Go to the store and tell them to fix it. I would say it's a waranty issue. They deliverd a crap setup and it needs to be fixed. plain simple.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
You didn't say how you raised the action; did you loosen the truss rod and/or raise the saddles? Take a look at Fenders Setup Guide, especially the truss rod section. I bet all you have to do is loosen your truss rod a bit and it will raise the action to where you want it. I had my music shop do it the first time just because I didnt know what I was doing.... they charged my $5USD.
Go to the store and tell them to fix it. I would say it's a waranty issue. They deliverd a crap setup and it needs to be fixed. plain simple.

I doubt its worth raising a stink about. so the action dropped a little. Mine did that to; the wood relaxes and the strings stretch. If he bought it brand new it will happen.
Quote by terb
You didn't say how you raised the action; did you loosen the truss rod and/or raise the saddles? Take a look at Fenders Setup Guide, especially the truss rod section. I bet all you have to do is loosen your truss rod a bit and it will raise the action to where you want it. I had my music shop do it the first time just because I didnt know what I was doing.... they charged my $5USD.

I doubt its worth raising a stink about. so the action dropped a little. Mine did that to; the wood relaxes and the strings stretch. If he bought it brand new it will happen.

He says he bought the bass new. His teacher of whom i may asume he knows what he is talking about tells him its something with the nu (to low). So yes i would go to the store and 'raise a stink' about it.
I know i have a crapy bass (GSR190) and i dont expect it to have a superb tone and feel but what i DO expect is that it's properly setup. With previous strings i also had ha bit of a vibration over the frets but thats due to the fact i bought fatter gauge strings without to much serious adjustment so the blame is me. But now i got normal 45-105 dadario strings and they are just fine with any rattle noises.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
With previous strings i also had ha bit of a vibration over the frets but thats due to the fact i bought fatter gauge strings without to much serious adjustment so the blame is me. But now i got normal 45-105 dadario strings and they are just fine with any rattle noises.

Wait....what......
You put fatter guage strings on and you got buz? Fatter strings should have cause more of a bow in the neck; thus a higher action; thus less buz.
Quote by anarkee
I had a similar issue recently with my Ibanez. I live in a climate where the humidity can range from really dry to monsoon like in a few months, so it does play havoc on instruments. A quick truss rod adjustment sorted it out. Yes, a good set up does cost money, but I look at is as a gift to my bass and myself, and considered it in the same league as taking a car in for a yearly tune up. Its worth it, esp. if you are having issues.

Interesting, mines an ibanez too

Cheers for the help, I'll just take it into town when I have a chance next. And to whoever asked I just used the saddles to raise the action
Quote by terb
Wait....what......
You put fatter guage strings on and you got buz? Fatter strings should have cause more of a bow in the neck; thus a higher action; thus less buz.

The problem was the nut. I could adjust the bridge and neck all i want but the strings didn't quite fit in the nut. So when i played below 12th fret i often got a rattling sound.
I just added new strings normal gauge and didn't had to adjust anything it was perfect fit. Maybe after a couple of days i might need to adjust it a bit.

But to stay on topic in my case the nut was the issue too only in my case i should have viled(?) the nut a bit. Problem is if i did i likely never would be able to fit normal strings on it as the space in the nut is too big.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra