well i'm sick of those threads that go like 'i play X and x am i a good guitarist' so i thaught i would take some of my time (have a day off from schollanyway) to make a bit of a guide but keep in mind it are my opinions and if you have something that i should change! say it well here we go

Beginner:
Basic chords like the A E C D G
Power chords
basic soling like green days holiday and stuff
Downpicking mostly
basic downpicking palm mutes

Average :
More chords also bar chords
Startin to play less Power chords
Alternate picking technics
some harder solo's like sweet child of mine's first solo and maybe the second
palm muting up and down (i recommend a horse rhythym for practicing)
if you're into metal tapping (i reccomend kristoffer dahl's tapping it featured on UG)

Good
Know a whole lot of chords
Alternate picking most of the time
banning out the pinky :P
Sweep picking and advanced tapping

God
All of what mentionned and giving your own unique style to it :P

Well let me know what you think of it
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Jonus brothers good haha.

But seriously Your probably average good.

and I'm at the point of becoming one step above beginner good.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
No.

From the perspective that some people dont learn other artists songs.
By that standard, I'm almost a god. That's can't possibly be right. I appreciate the compliment, though :P
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Seems only applicable to people who exclusively play electric guitar. No mention of fingerpicking, hybrid picking or any other techniques more commonly associated with the acoustic guitar.
I'm stuck between beginner and good...which can't be right..surely..

It's a nice thought, but it's horribly inaccurate. You haven't included Scales, Creativity and originality.
the 'good' to 'god' is quite a quick transistion. maybe put something in between. and at the moment, im almost a 13 year old guitar god
yeah thats totally out of perspective.
sorry, but those techniques metnioned really don't reflect levels of playing ability.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
playing less power chords doesn't make you better. sorry.

this guide is nonsense. you can't measure something like this - if it sounds good musically; it's good.
lol wow im almost a god

what does banning out pinky mean????

you also left out stuff like scales and improvising
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
id say im between average and good i never down pick unless its a chord
I don't think it really matters if you can sweep pick or not, that doesn't make you good at guitar. Its not even a vital thing to learn, at all. By your standards, I'm barely even an average guitar player and I've been playing for a little more than2 years now, almost 2 hours a day, almost every day.

I can alternate pick, I can palm mute, I know chords. But I'm a weak tapper, I can't sweep pick, I write songs and riffs that use power chords, its just not realistic. I'd like to propose a new set of standards.

Beginner
Basic Open Chords (As You said)
Power Chords or Double Stops
Difficulty with strings or series of single notes.
Basic Solo techniques ( single hammer ons and pull offs, maybe minor bends)

Average-
More Open chords as well as some Barre Chords.
Quicker transitions between chords.
Using power chords effectively.
Some knowledge of scales, pentatonic, blues, etc.
More advanced usage of solo techniques.
Easier time memorizing and playing back strings or series of single notes.

Intermediate-
Knowledge of most base chords (Minors, sharps and barre Chords w/o adds)
Usage of Alternate or Economy picking.
Palm muting is well accented.
Heavy damping on chords and riffs is used well.
Possible minor tapping experience.
Defined knowledge of a specific type of music and how to play it.
Good solo technique, double bends, multiple hammer/pulls.
Working with most of the fret board.

Good-
Some knowledge of most chords and their variations.
Transfer between chords is quick and seamless
Quick and accurate left and right hand techniques line up well.
Able to work all over the fret board with good results.
Able to identify and play with most songs after hearing them once. (whether its an underlying solo, or chords in the same key)
Great soloing techniques, linking multiple different techniques into individual runs.
Good use of Artificial and Natural Harmonics.
Able to take the solo of a song and extend it with some degree of difficulty.

Advanced-
Knowledge and the ability to play most chords without a second thought.
Ability to transfer into awkward chord positions with minimal difficulty.
The Ability to identify and play with most songs during the first listen.
Awesome soloing techniques
The ability to quickly and easily transfer up and down the fret board, and have it sound good.
Able to easily transfer from rhythm to lead and back without any problem.
Able to play multiple styles of music with equal ease.
Able to take the solo of a song and extend it, but perhaps being repetitive or boring.

God-
Able to play just about every style of music.
Vast library of chords.
Jaw-Dropping solo techniques.
Able to improv over anything,
Able to take the solo of a song, and extend it easily without making it boring.
Able to inspire people to want to play guitar and be just like, if not better, than you.

Thats my list.
Well, this is al pretty devoid because when it comes down to it, it makes little difference. Blues player don't really sweep-pick and metal players don't generally finger-pick. So it's all down to style, and preference of how you want to play.

Music shouldn't be about this ****; but feeling.
maybe i should cnage god to whatit is nowadays

Get in a Emo band play some power chords and your already called god :P
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I hate being average. Hate it. I'm not naturally musically talented though. I hate it because I have friends who are like "yeah, I know how to play a little." then they blow me away with their amazing soloing and jamming techniques.
By Judas' guide, I have been playing for 3 1/2 years and am between Int. and Good, which is pretty close IMHO. It is definetly a better..."guide" than the OP's, but there is so much that can and will affect your playability and skill level, I don't think there is such a thing as an "accurate guide" to rating a guitarist playability level though.

Everyone plays in their own unique way and we all play to different genres (mostly) and have a different style in which we play. Like someone mentioned earlier, a blues player does not sweep (tremolo) pick and doesnt do Pinch (Artificial) harmonics, and a Metal player does not fingerpick and will not have the same solo technique as a Blues player.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
what's up guys?
I've been playing guitar for 3 1/2 years now - however I still have a lot of trouble with the right-hand synchronisation / fast string skipping etc.... please has anyone advices about how to improve rapidity and precision? as i said it is only concerning the right hand.. with my left hand I can perfectly rapidly hit the notes but i got problems wit the right hand...the typical issue is the vivaldi summer theme guitarcover by Alexi Laiho ... the left hand evtng percet but got trouble with the right hand... pli anyone! every help would be appreciated!
Quote by Metalcoresoul
By Judas' guide, I have been playing for 3 1/2 years and am between Int. and Good, which is pretty close IMHO. It is definetly a better..."guide" than the OP's, but there is so much that can and will affect your playability and skill level, I don't think there is such a thing as an "accurate guide" to rating a guitarist playability level though.

Everyone plays in their own unique way and we all play to different genres (mostly) and have a different style in which we play. Like someone mentioned earlier, a blues player does not sweep (tremolo) pick and doesnt do Pinch (Artificial) harmonics, and a Metal player does not fingerpick and will not have the same solo technique as a Blues player.

Yes, also everyone learns things at different times. Like tapping and sweeping is usually learned when you become advanced, but I learned tapping after a few months.
Quote by daywalker69
what's up guys?
I've been playing guitar for 3 1/2 years now - however I still have a lot of trouble with the right-hand synchronisation / fast string skipping etc.... please has anyone advices about how to improve rapidity and precision? as i said it is only concerning the right hand.. with my left hand I can perfectly rapidly hit the notes but i got problems wit the right hand...the typical issue is the vivaldi summer theme guitarcover by Alexi Laiho ... the left hand evtng percet but got trouble with the right hand... pli anyone! every help would be appreciated!

Probably have heard this before but take it slow. It really helps, it's boring but worth it.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Mar 21, 2008,
yeah thanks for the advice already thought about it however I don't know somehow get the feeling the right hand either to low or to high placed regarding the strings etc...
Well, you could try a measure of the song with just the fretting hand first. Get the muscle memory in it, then when you have it down move on to the picking hand and that way you can focus just on the picking hand to make it more accurate.
I would be about average/intermediate, I guess. This guide isn't the best way to measure your skill on the guitar. And practise makes perfect imo. That's how you become a GOD.
In the corner beside my window
There hangs a lonely photograph
There is no reason
I'd never notice a memory that could hold me back

Siis mitä häh?
Quote by Ze_Metal
Yes, also everyone learns things at different times. Like tapping and sweeping is usually learned when you become advanced, but I learned tapping after a few months.

Exactly, and I've gotten pretty good at Sweep/Tremolo picking, but I am not an expert .
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
By horse rhythm, you mean galloping right ?

hahaha i think he meant triplets
lol if I could sweep pick I think it would be pretty GODLY. Thats just my opinion though, as for me I guess I'm stuck in that beginner catagory. lol you pretty much called James Hetfield a beginner on your frist thread. You didn't even mention hammer ons, pull offs, slides, or harmonics. I can do these can I plz get a higher rating here!!! HAH and might I add I can play the gallops of she wolf on a good day. Yep I definantly just qualified my self to be GOOD. who am I kiddin I still play like dookie!!!
Last edited by rebel624 at May 14, 2008,
According to your updated list, I am an Intermediate player. Although this list seems aimed towards Electric Guitarists. Maybe somebody could make an Acoustic Guitarist's version.
Both these lists also seems to asume that everyone uses fingerpicking - so considering that I don't fingerpick at all (strictly chords, except some simple stuff to warm up), I am still a beginner. I have no problem with you being ambitious and trying to create a rating-system like this, but a good guitarplayer is a good guitarplayer when he can play his guitar good - and you can't, in my opinion, use a checklist for that.