Hi all.

I am a big fan of Iron Maidens music and was wondering what kinda scales are their solos based on.. I like their soloing style but I am not able to create a nice iron maidenish solo..

I know Dave Murray has a very fluid style with legato and all. Adrian Smith picks notes very hard and fiercely..

I need some tips on creating those kinds of solos..

Any help would be appreciated!!
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
I think they're mostly pentatonic minor. Yeah Murray's good at the old trilling.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
learn a maiden solo then use the techniques and write something of your own
It's all pentatonic man, sometimes they add a few notes from the full minor scale. But remember that there are tons of people who try to sound like Maiden, I'd say you were better off in the long run if you didn't paint yourself into that corner but it's all up to you, if you like it then go ahead.
Murray is the trill master, almost all of his solos have a spot in it where theres a long trill run using most of the fingers and of course on the neck pickup!

Adrian on the other hand has the incredible phrasing and vibrato on his side, he has one of the best in the biz and not to many people every mention it.

So id work on your trills, learn to get good and smooth at switching your pickup selector to the neck and bridge for dynamics in tone. Also id practice my phrasing over a backing track or just to some of their songs. Work on developing a good vibrato and use your ear to emulate whats being done.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=E&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Mar 21, 2008,
its not the pentatonic scale. thats a blues scale, used by every blues player and also a hell of a lot by david gilmour.
a pentatonic scale can only be played so fast, certainly not as fast as a maiden solo, its impossible, theres only 2 notes to each string in a single pentatonic scale shape.
your modal scales have 3 notes on each string, so that leaves room for pull offs and such and once youve learned the shapes they can be played infinately faster than a pentatonic scale.
you could play pentatonic over most maiden songs, as they are mostly all in d or e, but it wouldnt sound very good, and you wouldnt be able to keep up with the speed you want.

i would imagine that the scales maiden use are phrygian mainly, as it has that sort of sound, thats only a guess though as i havent really analysed maiden songs. i think they use ionian a lot as well, as in dance of death.

needless to say, you need to learn your modes. learn the 5 major scale patterns first, and then when you got them in your head as good as the pentatonic you should be able to figure out what mode the songs are in.
i recommend the book "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer. has everything a guitarist should know in it and i picked it up off ebay for 8 english pounds. if you cant get it, maybe have a look through the lessons on UG about modes and get yourself a copy of the major scale patterns
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Santos Martinez SM-650 Classical
Marshall AVT 50 Valvestate 2000
Line 6 Pod XT
eric johnson tends to play the mixolydian mode a lot, which is the closest mode to the pentatonic, both sound bluesy.
johnson and steve vai love the mixolydian mode
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Line 6 Pod XT
it's primarily pentatonic and pentatonic blues, but also with other notes from the minor scale.

^^also agreed....pentatonics can be played pretty damn fast....and can also have 3 notes per string if you just combine the box shapes.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

I encourage learning modes, absolutely, but if you want to play Maiden you won't need it at all. I'd be surprised if Dave Murray knew jack about modes. Iron Maiden solos are some of the least complex ones out there.

True, the minor scale is also the aeolian mode, but that's a sidenote and not important in this context. Like I said, play pentatonic stuff in the standard position that everyone knows, but add a few notes from the full minor scale sometimes to play 3-note per string figures.

There's not even a lot of position shifts to think about.
You can play a pentatonic with 8 notes per string if you really want to, I think somebody needs to brush up on their theory...

Maiden use the usual suspects, I doubt they actually mentally restrict themselves to scales simply because they'll know the neck inside out. They'll choose notes based on the chords they're playing over.

It's more likely a case of using the minor pentatonic as the "base", but effectively flitting between natural minor, pentatonic minor and blues depending on which notes work best at a specific time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if you read properly youll see i said 2 notes per string for each scale shape

if you play 8 notes per string, you aint exactly gonna be able to play it fast are you? thats why scale shapes exist, we only have 4 fingers
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Line 6 Pod XT
Quote by s6k
if you read properly youll see i said 2 notes per string for each scale shape

if you play 8 notes per string, you aint exactly gonna be able to play it fast are you? thats why scale shapes exist, we only have 4 fingers

I did read it properly - there's only 2 notes per string in a pentatonic scale shape if you choose to play it that way. Experienced players don't limit themselves to boxes, they use the SCALE. Granted they'll use familiar patterns to navigate around but their "box" is the the whole fretboard...using pentatonics is no faster or slower than using any other scale, you choose your scale based on what works musically.

Besides, even if you DO use 2 notes per string it's not inherently slow, just ask Mr Gilbert...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LLoREJ3Xc

And as far as "only having 4 fingers" goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohcxxt6oHo
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 21, 2008,
From what i've heard so far of the recent tour Dave has gotten a lot better. He's probably wanting to be able to hang with Adrian now that he's improved so much as a player.